Off the hook tri-tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
I was golfing Sun. with my buddy and mentioned Tri-tips were on sale for 2.99lb this week and told him I also prefer to roast them vs. BBQ.

He told his method and after a few tweeks I love it this way.

3-4 lb untrimmed tri-tip (or ball tip)
2 envelopes desiccated onion soup mix
1 beer ( I used Carona)
1 glass red wine (it's all I had left-LOL)

Sprinkle the tri-tip with 1 envelope onion soup mix and let marinate overnight.

Cover and bake at 350 for 50 minutes.
Let cool completely and slice to 1/16-1/8 slices.
Sprinkle with remaining soup mix and pour in beer and wine.
Cover and bake another 30 minutes at 350.
Remove foil or cover and bake another 30 minutes.

Serve with small ramikins of the juice for dipping as desired.

It was like a cross between a French dip and a pot roast. We all loved it for a change from our usual. I bet some sliced carrots added to the second cooking would be awesome too.

I also made a raw cabbage salad to go with which worked nicely.

Sounds really good, 4Me!

Now, if I could only find a tri-tip....

I have seen Tri tips at a grocer's one time evar. Didn't have the dinero in my pocket to buy at the time. I suppose I should ckeck out a real meat market.

The recipe looks good for an oven roast.

I bet it would work for a cross rib or flank or just any cut. Your slicing it thin and cooking it liquid. Can't wait for sandwiches tomorrow!

I have seen Tri tips at a grocer's one time evar. Didn't have the dinero in my pocket to buy at the time. I suppose I should ckeck out a real meat market.

The recipe looks good for an oven roast.

If your grocery store has a meat counter you can most likely order any cut of meat you want, although it may take a couple of days to get in for you. Most of the grocery store butchers I've encountered have been more then happy to help me out.

I have a Tri Tip sitting in the fridge and I may just try your method 4me, although it will have to be a real leap of faith, as I so enjoy my oven Tri Tip rare!

I do understand how privileged we both are to live in "Tri Tip Land" where it's as common as hamburger, and often less expensive. ;):cool:

Kayelle,
They are pretty common here but 5.99lb is the usual price and I refuse to pay that for them. My BIL travels to Santa Maria pretty frequently and will buy a stockpile of them if asked.

I like my grilled tri-tip med rare but I think this method made it more tender and definately more flavor packed.

Do you like McClintock's beans too? We can't get them here but BIL will sometimes buy those for us as well.

Actually, I'm not a fan of beans, even the famous McClintock's 4me. Not on sale, Tri Tips normally run about $4.00 per pound down here and still worth every penny I think. I like to buy them untrimmed and make it a DIY project as they often are too well trimmed for my liking. Your recipe sounds great by the way, but think I'll sacrifice maybe an Eye of Round instead of my precious Tri Tip. ;):)

Actually, I'm not a fan of beans, even the famous McClintock's 4me. Not on sale, Tri Tips normally run about $4.00 per pound down here and still worth every penny I think. I like to buy them untrimmed and make it a DIY project as they often are too well trimmed for my liking. Your recipe sounds great by the way, but think I'll sacrifice maybe an Eye of Round instead of my precious Tri Tip. ;):)
An eye of the round sounds like a winner for this recipe. I like my Tri tip med rare too. Soooo eye of the round this sunday for Ma's dinner. Thanks for the great sounding recipe 4meandthem.
kades

I took the warmed leftovers and spooned some Au jus onto a sourdough roll then the slices of meat and some shaved parm. I nuked it for 30 seconds and it was one of the best french dips ever.

I took the warmed leftovers and spooned some Au jus onto a sourdough roll then the slices of meat and some shaved parm. I nuked it for 30 seconds and it was one of the best french dips ever.
That was not nice, sending me back to haunt the fridg at this time of night. Darn it was like looking for a fillet and finding a dried up burger patty. Yikes I'm still hungry:ROFLMAO:
kades

This thread is another example of live and learn for me, that is, when I copy a good recipe onto a doc, I should just wait until I read to the end of the thread before I save and file it. I was able to tack several useful comments onto the end of the document. Eye of round; sourdough, beef, jus - mmmm.

Back
Top Bottom