Omaha Steak Company...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ardge

Senior Cook
USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can a
Can someone please post up a review? I've been given $90 in Omaha Steak gift cards for Christmas and I would like to hear from those of you who have used this company's products before I make a purchase.

To be honest, I find their lack of meat grading a little weird. I can't find the words "Prime" or "Choice" or "Certified Angus Beef" anywhere in any of their pamphlets or web pages I have looked on. They definitely have USDA Prime prices, but nothing is labeled or sold as such. This leads me to believe they they are NOT prime.

I'm not wealthy. I don't buy Prime meat often. But when I do, I savor every little morsel. I exclusively shopped at a Chicago based meat packing company for my prime meat purchases. I never had a need to look elsewhere. However, this past Christmas I had a bad experience with them. I bought 6 Prime rib eyes (4 steakhouse cut and 2 dry-aged) for my best friend. They sent me the 4 steakhouse and substituted the 2 dry-aged steaks for something else without my permission or knowledge. Though the substituted product is more expensive then what I ordered, it is a cut of meat that we both are not fans of. Beef ribs. Unacceptable in my book.

Long story short, they are ignoring my calls and emails regarding the situation. If I do not hear from them soon, that last purchase will have been the last time I do business with them. I might be in need of a new prime steak company. Is Omaha for me or is it some kind of processed meat?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Happy New Year everyone! Go Blackhawks!!!

RJ

We received Omaha Steaks for a Christmas gift...2 NY Strips and 2 Fillet Mignon...as well as a gourmet dessert. We grilled the strip steaks a couple nights ago, and found them to be excellent in flavor and tenderness. Not sure what the grading was, just know they were darn tasty.

Oh, and don't give up on your local butcher quite yet. He made an error on judgment, and torturing him is not going to get you anywhere other than looking for another butcher. I sense more than a little anger in your writing, and if you communicated with me that way, I'd probably ignore you as well. Nobody is perfect, and if this is the only time he's not delivered as expected, then you should cut him a little slack. Unless, of course, you have never done anything less than perfect yourself, in which case you are entitled to a certain amount of self-righteous indignation. It's only a piece of meat...

Honestly, I'm not much of a fan of Omaha Steaks. If I had a gift card I would use it but I wouldn't go to their store and buy steaks or anything else. The filets are OK, not the best I've ever had and their burgers are not exciting at all. I'm not sure but I think they might inject them with something - I've had better.

We have tried Omaha several times and don't think their steaks are worth the money. For example the thickness of many of their cuts is pretty scanty. Best thing from our experiences with them has been the variety of styrofoam coolers we use during summertime shopping trips.
Sounds like you're being a bit harsh about your Chicago based packer; I'd be interested in giving them a try and don't anticipate making any additional purchases from Omaha.

I hate to say it, but I'm with JPB on this one. I use to purchase this stuff and to me it is junk. I'm very picky about my meats and Omaha is one place I would rather avoid. I too find the cuts wimpy and thin... the quality to me is lower than what you would get at a grocery store.

I order my meats from a local farmer that delivers right to my house. Since I have tried their meats, I have not looked back.

I hate to say it, but I'm with JPB on this one. I use to purchase this stuff and to me it is junk. I'm very picky about my meats and Omaha is one place I would rather avoid. I too find the cuts wimpy and thin... the quality to me is lower than what you would get at a grocery store.

I order my meats from a local farmer that delivers right to my house. Since I have tried their meats, I have not looked back.

Sorry to hear, Satie, that you hate to agree with me :LOL:
Seriously, Whimpy (the hamburger eating cartoon character) would likely be insulted if he were mentioned in the same breath as Omaha Steaks.

In the 1970s, when I was a child, Omaha Steaks had a great reputation and my dad use to buy them so we could grill in the summer.

Since then, I have heard that their quality is not the same from my deceased catering friend, Andy. As I trust his judgment, I have not purchased them.

I have had aged choice meet from Fresh Market and it, too, was very tender and not strong tasting like some aged meet can be.

Prime is best because all the marbling makes the meat tender. If you shop, that is what you should look for, meat that is well marbled. My grandfather use to own a famous local steakhouse back in the day and he use to fabricate his own steaks. So, it was something that I was taught early on.

Sorry to hear, Satie, that you hate to agree with me :LOL:
Seriously, Whimpy (the hamburger eating cartoon character) would likely be insulted if he were mentioned in the same breath as Omaha Steaks.

Nah, don't hate to agree with you, but hate having to say that I think their product is inferior. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I just think there is better stuff out there to buy!

I ordered some Kansas City steakburgers. They had a special and I thought I would give them a try. Haven't tried them yet, but I will provide feedback when I do.

Can someone please post up a review? I've been given $90 in Omaha Steak gift cards for Christmas and I would like to hear from those of you who have used this company's products before I make a purchase.

To be honest, I find their lack of meat grading a little weird. I can't find the words "Prime" or "Choice" or "Certified Angus Beef" anywhere in any of their pamphlets or web pages I have looked on. They definitely have USDA Prime prices, but nothing is labeled or sold as such. This leads me to believe they they are NOT prime.

RJ

It's not prime meat, and probably not up to the standard you've come to expect from your local butcher. But in the interest of helping you get the most from your gift, maybe you could watch for combo deals and Google for online reviews of what people have enjoyed (or more importantly, avoid what they post they have not enjoyed) from Omaha. I think all companies have ups and downs. I receive a ham gift every year and we all look forward to it, and this year it was so salty it was inedible. But I can't discount the past 15 years of wonderful ham. I know the folks over at fatwallet don't have much good to say about Omaha, but others will concede that a few items are worthy. Before you blow that gift certificate, just take your time to really research your options. Every now and then they bundle items in very attractive packages and you can really do quite well!! The sides and desserts are just mass produced fluff, so I wouldn't blow my gift certificates on those!

I guess I wasn't much help, was I? Do the fatwallet search and see what you find ... it will be enlightening. Can I post a link to the site or is that a no-no?

A hundred years ago when Buck and I got married, someone gave us some Omaha steaks as a wedding gift. They were very disappointing. We could purchase better quality steaks at our local chain grocery store. We ate the Omaha steaks but never had the desire to order anything from them after our experience.

I know it wouldn't be my my first choice either, but I don't want the poor guy not to use his gift ... anybody have feedback on something they didn't mind eating?

I know it wouldn't be my my first choice either, but I don't want the poor guy not to use his gift ... anybody have feedback on something they didn't mind eating?

You are right AMS... I wished I could remember something that I got from there that I liked. But nothing really stands out.

A hundred years ago when Buck and I got married

:LOL::LOL:

We received Omaha Steaks for a Christmas gift...2 NY Strips and 2 Fillet Mignon...as well as a gourmet dessert. We grilled the strip steaks a couple nights ago, and found them to be excellent in flavor and tenderness. Not sure what the grading was, just know they were darn tasty.

Oh, and don't give up on your local butcher quite yet. He made an error on judgment, and torturing him is not going to get you anywhere other than looking for another butcher. I sense more than a little anger in your writing, and if you communicated with me that way, I'd probably ignore you as well. Nobody is perfect, and if this is the only time he's not delivered as expected, then you should cut him a little slack. Unless, of course, you have never done anything less than perfect yourself, in which case you are entitled to a certain amount of self-righteous indignation. It's only a piece of meat...

You'd ignore me as well??? Where do you get off saying that?

Do me a favor. Let me know if you currently own or plan to own a business that sells anything to consumers. I'll make sure I don't do business with you. I don't want to order a movie or CD from you and be sent pants or shoes instead.

See my point?

I bought an expensive item off of a reputable high-end steak and chop website, based in Chicago. The "piece of meat" in question are 2 steaks costing nearly 70 dollars. My entire order was well over 200 dollars. Since my order, the items in question are now listed as out of stock. However, they were available when I ordered. Something else was sent in its place without my knowledge or consultation. That is not acceptable in my opinion. I was not given the opportunity to choose the replacement item or cancel the item all together. My phone calls and emails to this company have been professional in nature, just as this reply is. Am I mad? Yes. I have a right to be. The fact that I am being ignored is making me even more angry.

RJ

They are certainly good quality, but not unique. The packing and shipping costs are high, and I can get great beef right here where I am.

I received a gift card for them last year and was very unimpressed with their meat. Just get some nice desserts!

Back
Top Bottom