Omaha steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
What do you all think of Omaha Steaks? My girlfriend won some drawing at work and we won a pack of sirloin steaks from them. They shipped them in dry ice.

I cooked them by rubbing them with kosher salt and cracked pepper , searing on high for 1 minute each side, then putting em in 400 degree oven until medium rare.

Let me tell you, some of the best meat ive ever had. Way better than store bought prime. They taste like "aged" steaks you get at top steakhouses. amazing texture mainly, juicy as ****, something ive never been able to replicate with even Prime cuts.

How are the Filet Mignons from Omaha Steaks?

What are your opinion on Omaha Steaks?

Prices are pretty reasonable as well

I live near enough to two really fine butcher shops, plus within reasonable distance from Philly's Italian Market, and I find the "unfrozen" product better, and cheaper. But, certainly, Omaha's product is quality beef, well aged, and you may well save ordering from them rather than planning a shopping weekend to a major city. Also, you certainly save over the cost of a fine steak house.

The meat I regularly mailorder is specialty ham from Vermont (corn cob smoked) and Virginia, Smithfield.

If I could afford it - I would have an Omaha Steak every night! I've NEVER had a bad steak from them ... and the Filet Mignons I had were almost tender enough to cut with a fork.

Robo - they are not frozen .... they just use dry ice to keep them cold during transit.

I have heard that they are really good. Someday when I am rich :LOL: I will try them. The best beef we ever had was a side of corn fed beef we bought from a girl who raised it as a 4-H project. We actually did cut some of those steaks with a fork.

:) Barbara

my step dad was sent a 50 lb. case of Omaha steaks a few years ago as a thank you from a deal he sealed with a new client. Such good meat. try it if you can get it.

I thought they were just ok. Not as good as the good butcher shops here or in NYC.

Plus, they hounded me -- HOUNDED ME -- :bangin: to buy more stuff.

OS was the reason I got on the do-not-call list. Them and Public Radio.

We weren't very impressed with them. Too small to suit Brian.

We get pretty good steaks around here, at a better price or just as good.

Do love the styro boxes they use. We use them for transporting and holding food (hot or cold).

i though the meat itself was very good. but like raine said, the portions are WAY too small.

i still think you get the best bang for the buck is from costco.

Last edited:
Well in NYC you have lobels.com and in chicago you have allenbrothers.com

Both of them offer expensive meats.

Allenbrothers.com also offers expensive seafood.

ironchef said:
Try the steaks from here. They also have lamb and pork and offer free shipping with orders over $85 (which shouldn't be too hard to accomplish considering what they offer):

http://www.nimanranch.com/

Yeah but at their prices that $85 bucks will only get ya a couple of pounds of meat. For those prices I willl go to Peter Lugars and have it cooked for me :ohmy:

Last edited:
What size steak is ideal for you?

Just wondering...

I'd have thought 7 or 8 ounces would be OK.

Best regards,
Alex R.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom