Ox tail braised in Guinness stout.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kali-Ann G

Assistant Cook
Jah bless all,

A member mention ox tails. Now there must be hundreds of recipe out there but this how me do it. Now ox tail is about as Jamaican as you get man!! This is my own twist as my husband love his Guinness man!! He like the slight bitterness the stout give it. The meat it soft and fall of the bone man.

So we go man!

4-5 lbs oxtails (cut/trimmed)
3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 stalk celery diced it up man
1 large onion dice it up man
2 tablespoon tomato puree
1 heaping tablespoon green gold
3 cloves garlic (smashed)
1 1/2 cups Guinness Extra Stout
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
5 allspice berries (pimento)
1 teaspoon salt
2 large carrots cut in rounds
2-3 cups beef stock
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon parsley chop this up

OK wash the ox tail with running water and either lemon juice or white vinegar (as me say Jamaicans wash everything man) drain then pat it dry man.
Now you need dust in the flour. Put oil in the heaviest pan you have and heat on medium. Add the ox tail a few piece at a time and brown it all over. When them pieces brown take out and put to the side. Keep going til all done.
Add the onion and celery to the same pot, add more oil if you need. Add the Garlic and pepper and cook for about 3 minute.
Add the allspice berries and tomato puree man and cook for 3 minute you looking for the puree to caramelise man.
Put the ox tail back in the pot, add the Guinness and salt. Turn up the heat to high and scrape the bottom of the pot. Add the stock and get the pot to boil.
Put in the green gold and them bay leaf man. Add the carrot and turn down to simmer, ad the brown sugar man. Let it simmer for about 3 hour add more stock if you need to. Do not let it dry out.
Keep checking the ox tail, when it soft you good to go man. Skim of any fat on top. Take away the bay leaf and add the parsley.

Me serve this with boiled yam or sweet potato but you can use rice and peas, or pretty much anything man. Pasta work quite good.

Jah bless

Kali-Ann

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom