PLEASE HELP. ASAP How best to cook braising steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks...........

Its not the pie I really have the problem with, its just how to prepare and cook the braising steak (I don't even know if I have to cook it on high heat the in pan or slimmer) is it best to use water?? :(

Without seeing the recipe, it's difficult to answer your question. What kind of steak? How is it used in the recipe? Etc.

I'm sure we can help with more information.

750 gm of steak.
500 gm mushrooms

cornflour
puff pastry
shortcrust pastry
salt
pepper
beef stock powder or other seasonings

Dice the steak and toss in seasoned flour. Brown in a heavy pan. Slowly add a little water or stock to de-glaze the pan. Don't let the mixture get sloppy. Cooking time depends on the quality of the steak. Stewing steak can take an hour. The tougher the steak the longer and slower the cooking - and the better the taste! Toss the diced mushroom in in the last 15 minutes and your choice of seasonings. Thicken with cornflour if sloppy. Let cool.

Butter or oil a pie plate. Line with shortcrust pastry. I cheat and buy it frozen. Add the cold mixture. Put a sheet of puff pastry (does anybody make their own these days?) over the top. Filo would be good too. Poke a few small holes to let the steam out. squish the edges with a fork. it makes a nice pattern and keep the two layers together. Trim the edges but don't waste the trimmings, use them to decorate the top. Brush the top with a glaze of melted butter or an egg yolk mixed with a tablespoon of water to make it go nice and brown.

Pop into a hot oven set at 200c and drop to 170 after 15 minutes. Check after another 15 minutes to see how it is going. When brown remove from oven and enjoy!

This is what im mainly working from :)

As recipe says, toss in flour, seal in the pan and then gently gently gently cook in stock for as long as you have got....an hour, even more. Braising steak can be very tough, hence the long slow cooking, but as your recipe suggests, if you cook it gently once it has sealed, for a long time it will soften considerably and be very tasty. I try and cook mine in the morning for about an hour, though often a lot more like 2 hours, then leave in its juices for the day till I am ready to combine in the pie. I think it benefits from the resting time.

Sounds like a good pie!

Braising is used to slowly cook tough pieces of meat, tenderizing them.

After cutting the steak into cubes and dusting with flour (shake off excess flour), brown the cubes in a little oil in a HOT pan over high heat. When the browning is complete, deglaze the pan with some of the broth. Stir to dissolve any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.

When that's done, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pan. The meat cubes should be half submerged in the broth. Simmer, covered for the hour mentioned.

Can you take it frem here?

thanks Andy

cheers.

I was hoping to make it for tea tonite, think its too short notice?

Am I best really preparing the steak tonite and trying it tmorrow?

Your a star! :-p

Becky

It's already 3:00 or 4:00PM there? You would have it ready for dinner before 7:00PM

You certainly could do part of the prep today. And cook it tomorrow. I'd do everything but the crust today and add the crust and cook it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom