Porterhouse Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
Porterhouse Steak (30-36 oz)

img_586441_0_ec2a86c7713c6ce8bd7906c685ac9a9b.jpg

Coat both sides with kosher salt and fresh black pepper. Really coat it, espescially if you're using a thick piece of meat like this. Most of the seasoning will come off during the grilling process.

Compound Butter

2 sticks of room temp unsalted butter
1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
Juice from 1 lemon
Coarse salt and fresh black pepper to taste

Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl. Use parchment paper to roll into a log, then freeze until needed.

Steak Sauce

1 T Olive Oil
1 Medium shallot, minced
1/4 c. Brandy
1 T. demi-glace (I used prepared demi from Williams Sonoma)
1 t. Black pepper corns
1 Bay leaf
1 14.5 oz can low sodium beef broth or beef stock
1 small carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 sprig fresh thyme

*1 T unsalted butter

In a sauce pan, saute shallot in oil until translucent. Add Brandy and burn off excess alcohol. Add remaining ingredients (*except the butter) making sure to dissolve the demi in the broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for 20-30 minutes. Strain sauce through a fine sieve and return to the pan. Bring back to a hot simmer to reduce until you have about 1/2 cup or so of liquid. Turn off the burner and melt in the butter. The sauce should have the consistency of a thin syrup when finished. Plate a tablespoon or so under the steak. This sauce is too flavorful touse like a gravy.

img_586441_1_7b48dde9d69206ecf2b533066ca5ac4c.jpg

Last edited:
looks fantastic .. i am going to try that sauce
next time i make some steaks ..

thanks ..

OK - that wasn't nice. I'm trying to cook REALLY healthy tonight and now I want steak. Love the Maitre d' butter just sitting there on top with the perfectly cooked steak underneath just ready for all that goodness!

That sure does look great. The steak is as marbled as any I have seen.

Quick question, what is a Porterhouse steak? I guess it might be the top loin.

Gosh would love to find one that thick. Gotta talk to the butcher.

Hey, I don't see my post?!
I was wondering the same thing, Andy. I thought porterhouse steaks were like a T-bone, but with the strip on one side and the filet on the other side of the bone.....

Anyway, I'll say it again. Great looking steak, Jeeks. Done just how I like.

OK - that wasn't nice. I'm trying to cook REALLY healthy tonight and now I want steak. Love the Maitre d' butter just sitting there on top with the perfectly cooked steak underneath just ready for all that goodness!

Heeheeheehee :LOL: I thought the same thing! I LOVE Porterhouse the best!

I always want either the grill or the pan screaming hot so the sear is really dark and a caramelly crust forms.... I usually slice on the bias, too. Man, it is such great eating!!!!! You just HAVE to splurge every once in a while. :D

UB, I was thinking it was the NY Strip half of a porterhouse.

It very well could be just that Andy! I see the cut away from the bone on the right... I Can't really see the top edge cut...due the position of the steak. At the very bottom there seems to be a small piece of meat/fat that I call "tail meat" which makes me "think" rib-eye...When cooking several rib-eyes I usually pinch this piece off...just to make sure the flavor is right:whistling

I guess Jeekinz will come back and set us straight! :LOL:

Folks, that was what I was trying to bring up in a very gentle fashion.

That piece of meat does not look like a Porterhouse to me.

It might be the strip, the outside part of the Porterhouse, but it does not look like it to me. Would guess the sirloin.

But it looks very tasty.

I did not want to challange the poster, just me. I try to make folks happy.

But a Porterhouse has a bone, the filet portion, and the strip, as we all know. Both are yummy.

I just never want to jump in anyone's face. It looks like a great piece of marbelized meat. But, yeah, it certainly does not seem to be a Porterhouse from the picture.

It very well could be just that Andy! I see the cut away from the bone on the right... I Can't really see the top edge cut...due the position of the steak. At the very bottom there seems to be a small piece of meat/fat that I call "tail meat" which makes me "think" rib-eye...When cooking several rib-eyes I usually pinch this piece off...just to make sure the flavor is right:whistling

I guess Jeekinz will come back and set us straight! :LOL:
Yeah... not a PH... but sure good looking! ;)

Looking like a ribeye to me too (albeit a VERY nice cut) I have a few more of these in the freezer awaiting the day I put together the new Weber.

272552827_oCEuZ-M.jpg

granted yours looks MUCH better cut than mine, I got these from the Amish at columbus market in Jersey....its hit or mis..

272551428_JBTRq-M.jpg

with a pink peppercorn cognac cream sauce

272556718_Q4rN9-M.jpg

Next time I'll take a picture of the leftover bone for ya. Mmmmmkay? I never had a ribeye with a big bone shaped like a 'T' right smack in the middle of it. :glare:

img_587003_0_3086d37e32971d50f2cab5cc436e27f6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom