Pot Roast for Mark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWS, I think we all have memories from our childhood, of overcooked meat and vegetables, often canned vegetables - the reason so many people hate things like broccoli and Brussels sprouts! But this is why we learned how to cook for ourselves.

Back in April, when this thread was started, I decided to give Pot Roast another chance thinking my bad PR memories could be cured with the right recipe and technique. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...t-roast-with-porcini-mushrooms-recipe-1922380

I guess I remember now why I haven't made a pot roast in years.

The recipe was tasty alright, but I really really really don't like beef that has to be cooked long enough to make it edible. I'll stick to my juicy rare and tender steaks till I forget again why I don't cook pot roasts.

Last edited:
Back in April, when this thread was started, I decided to give Pot Roast another chance thinking my bad PR memories could be cured with the right recipe and technique. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...t-roast-with-porcini-mushrooms-recipe-1922380

I guess I remember now why I haven't made a pot roast in years.

The recipe was tasty alright, but I really really really don't like beef that has to be cooked long enough to make it edible. I'll stick to my juicy rare and tender steaks till I forget again why I don't cook pot roasts.

You don't like the idea of it, or you don't like it at all? If you liked the taste, what's the problem? I ask purely out of curiosity, because a well-made pot roast is one of my favorite dishes.

What about braised pork? My posole verde is another of my favorite foods :yum: Not to mention a good pulled pork or braised pork belly :yum: :yum:

I'm a pot roast lover! It's a favorite every winter. I always make it with chuck roast and mashed potatoes to pour all that gray over.

Whenever I see boneless chuck roasts on sale, I buy at least one. It's great for pot roast, Hungarian goulash and more.

I'm a pot roast lover! It's a favorite every winter. I always make it with chuck roast and mashed potatoes to pour all that gray over.

Whenever I see boneless chuck roasts on sale, I buy at least one. It's great for pot roast, Hungarian goulash and more.
Same! The smoked barbecued beef we make is delicious, too :yum:

I agree and look forward to winter pot roasts.. :yum:

Ross

You don't like the idea of it, or you don't like it at all? If you liked the taste, what's the problem? I ask purely out of curiosity, because a well-made pot roast is one of my favorite dishes.

What about braised pork? My posole verde is another of my favorite foods :yum: Not to mention a good pulled pork or braised pork belly :yum: :yum:

GG, I think I don't like both the texture and flavor of beef cooked for a very long time. The gravy was delicious. On the other hand, I have a whole other opinion of braised pork as I'm also a big fan of your mentioned favorites along with my Kalua pig. For my tastes, beef needs be be tender enough to be cooked no more than med. rare. ;) That could be the reason I'm not a big fan of ground beef either.

Last edited:
My Dad will ask me to make pot roast like his mother did...I just can't do that. His mother grew up in a house with servants and a cook. She never learned to cook and over cooked every cut of meat. How about beef stew, Dad?

CWS, I think we all have memories from our childhood, of overcooked meat and vegetables, often canned vegetables - the reason so many people hate things like broccoli and Brussels sprouts! But this is why we learned how to cook for ourselves.
My wonderful Momma, who is still alive, worked as an RN. She would get home around 5:30. My Dad, the now Kitchen Nazi, expected supper on the table by 6:00 p.m. I got home from school around 4. From the time I was in 7th grade until I moved out at 18, I cooked supper. Mind you, I had to make what the KN would eat. When I had something going on after school, I remember my Momma opening the fridge when she got home exclaiming "Hells, Bells! What's for supper tonight." The KN doesn't eat leftovers, so those have to be reinvented. Hells Bells, tonight it is bratwurst, mashed potatoes, and corn. I am so tired of making a tossed salad out of iceburg lettuce every night for the KN. When Momma and I go to the cabin, we eat a whole lot of stuff the KN will not touch.

"I don't like that. Mom and I never ate that..."

Am I the only person who finds it offensive that my Dad calls my Mom MOM. She is my Mom, not his.

Last edited:

"I don't like that. Mom and I never ate that..."

Am I the only person who finds it offensive that my Dad calls my Mom MOM. She is my Mom, not his.

I do this sometimes when chatting with my kids. I reference my wife as “your mother” or Mom as “You need to talk to Mom about getting more time on your phone”. But when speaking to her directly, it’s always by her given name.

Anyway, it doesn’t sound like it was fun in the kitchen growing up unfortunately.

My father always wanted to eat by 5pm when we were growing up. When I visit them or they come to visit us, it’s on my schedule which is more like 7pm.

I do this sometimes when chatting with my kids. I reference my wife as “your mother” or Mom as “You need to talk to Mom about getting more time on your phone”. But when speaking to her directly, it’s always by her given name.

Anyway, it doesn’t sound like it was fun in the kitchen growing up unfortunately.

My father always wanted to eat by 5pm when we were growing up. When I visit them or they come to visit us, it’s on my schedule which is more like 7pm.
I have always been a very adventuresome cook. Now that I have to cook for the KN, I am going crazy making the same things over and over again. There are so many ways to use the same ingredients so they don't end up as the same dish...not here.

I wish Dad would refer to my Mom by her name and not call her Mom. That grates on me. She is my Mom, not his. Ironically, he called his mother by her first name...I don't know what he is doing in the kitchen now...suspect he is making fudge. I want him out of there so I can get supper started...first I will have to clean up his mess. (1) mise en place, (2) clean as you go. My Dad, mess, mess, mess, don't put anything away (took the mayo out, still out, took the lettuce out, still out. Took the cheese out, still out) and is that a dishwasher and it is empty? Never living with an 88-yr. old man again.

Last edited:
GG, I think I don't like both the texture and flavor of beef cooked for a very long time. The gravy was delicious. On the other hand, I have a whole other opinion of braised pork as I'm also a big fan of your mentioned favorites along with my Kalua pig. For my tastes, beef needs be be tender enough to be cooked no more than med. rare. ;) That could be the reason I'm not a big fan of ground beef either.

I like my beef including hamburgers be cooked to med rare. But a good pot roast is still very tasty and tender even though it’s well done.

I remember one time I was sent on a plane by myself as a 7 year old from NJ to Wash DC to visit my Aunt. She took to me a nice restaurant and I ordered lamb chops. The waiter asked how I wanted them done. I didn’t know what that meant and when he gave me the options, I said “Well done” as in it should be cooked good, not bad. Having been brought up eating stuff med rare, it wasn’t very appetizing.

I like my beef including hamburgers be cooked to med rare. But a good pot roast is still very tasty and tender even though it’s well done.

I remember one time I was sent on a plane by myself as a 7 year old from NJ to Wash DC to visit my Aunt. She took to me a nice restaurant and I ordered lamb chops. The waiter asked how I wanted them done. I didn’t know what that meant and when he gave me the options, I said “Well done” as in it should be cooked good, not bad. Having been brought up eating stuff med rare, it wasn’t very appetizing.

That made me grin. The reasoning of a child often makes more sense. ;)

I have always been a very adventuresome cook. Now that I have to cook for the KN, I am going crazy making the same things over and over again. There are so many ways to use the same ingredients so they don't end up as the same dish...not here.

I wish Dad would refer to my Mom by her name and not call her Mom. That grates on me. She is my Mom, not his. Ironically, he called his mother by her first name...I don't know what he is doing in the kitchen now...suspect he is making fudge. I want him out of there so I can get supper started...first I will have to clean up his mess. (1) mise en place, (2) clean as you go. My Dad, mess, mess, mess, don't put anything away (took the mayo out, still out, took the lettuce out, still out. Took the cheese out, still out) and is that a dishwasher and it is empty? Never living with an 88-yr. old man again.

CWS....I was caregiver for both my mom and dad during the last years of their lives and yes, it's difficult. My mom lived for 11 years longer after Dad passed in 2000. Glad you have an extra caregiver there to help out.

My brother and I grew up with our parents calling each other 'mamma and daddy'. We never knew any different, and would have been surprised to hear them calling each other by their given names - Jim and Shirley. (other than in the presence of extended family or company). I figured they had the right to call each other whatever pet names they wanted and it never bothered me. :) The day my dad passed away, my mom still called him 'daddy'. It was comforting. I look back and would give just about anything to hear one more of those moments when they called each other mama and daddy, or to clean up one of my dad's messy attempted dinners in the kitchen. :LOL::wub:

Pot Roast.....I haven't had it quite some time but for me, I'd rather go the extra bit of work and make a stew. I like that better than pot roast. (just thought I'd add that to stick to the topic here :LOL:)

Last edited:
Difficult is one word that comes to mind. We hire caregivers to come in 3x a day. Somedays, no one is available. I have no other siblings, so it is up to me to keep things running smoothly. My Dad never learned to do anything...his mother, grandmother, and great-aunt doted on him. Then he was in the military and my Mom took care of everything. I am now in that enabler position. I pick my battles. There are days, however, where it is more than difficult. Fortunately, all of us like stew and we prefer our meat closer to rare than medium. I do make a decent stew. Just don't like pot roast. There, kept this on topic! I suspect the pot roast was because a cheap cut of meat could feed the family...

Last edited:
I often like pot roast. I have made both the one that turned out great and the one with the meat that tastes boiled to blah. It's a bit of luck of the draw.

Back
Top Bottom