Pot Roast for Mark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Mark wants a slow-cooked pot roast with potatoes and carrots and onions. I would like to make it for him, and I will, but I loathe pot roast and I think I’ve only made it once. I’m not gonna pull out the slow cooker either; I’ll make it in my DO, covered, in a very slow oven, I guess.

What’s the best cut of meat to use, and how long should I cook it at what temp? Thanks for your input!

Chuck roast is the best as it has a good ratio of intramuscular fat to lean and lots of beef flavor. You can get it bone-in or boneless. Simply, cook it until it's fork tender or to an internal temperature of 200ºF.

A splash of wine, spoonful of tomato paste and a splash of soy sauce will boost the umami without intruding on the flavor.

I use chuck roasts for pot roast. I usually slow roast it the day before and refrigerate it so the fat congeals and can easily be removed. Reheat it the next day with the carrots, potato and onions, and it makes for a wonderful meal, IMO. :yum:

Yes..Blade roast..you guys call it chuck..Give it a good browning, remove, add your mirepoix, then what Andy said..I like to braise it at 350..so, only about an inch of liquid..you can add more if needed every hour as you check it. I use beef stock..this will eventually make your gravy..

Last edited:
Another vote for a bone in chuck roast.

Because I live alone I also use meaty beef shanks, they have a great flavor but a fair amount of gristle.

I put a small amount of oil in the pan, get a good dark sear on all sides of the meat, add the vegetables, cover the pot and put it into a 325F oven for a couple of hours.

If I've done it correctly the potatoes get a nice bit of dark brown scorch on them.:yum:

Make sure to add enough extra veggies for a pan of hash.

Good luck!

Yes..Blade roast..you guys call it chuck..Give it a good browning, remove, add your mirepoix, then what Andy said..I like to braise it at 350..so, only about an inch of liquid..you can add more if needed every hour as you check it...this will make your gravy..

Roch, when you say the mirepoix, is it big chunks or small dice?

I follow the procedure from an old Jacques Pepin recipe. He starts with chunks of mire poix, wine, herbs and some stock and simmers the browned meat for an extended period the strains out the liquid and tosses the veggies and adds fresh veggies for the meal. His logic is that the first batch of veggies gave up all their flavor to the liquid.

Medium? Doesn't really matter...Lol..I like a nice layer so the meat sits on it and helps it stay above the liquid..you can strain it out later or blend it with a stick blender to make a sauce..

Brilliant! Thanks Roch
Let's hope it stays cool enough, DH doesn't care for
'heavier' dishes once it gets warm out :cool:

… and thank you Joel for starting a wonderful thread!

I follow the procedure from an old Jacques Pepin recipe. He starts with chunks of mire poix, wine, herbs and some stock and simmers the browned meat for an extended period the strains out the liquid and tosses the veggies and adds fresh veggies for the meal. His logic is that the first batch of veggies gave up all their flavor to the liquid.
Makes sense..I cheat and make other veggies on the side as I find they can be a bit greasy..I've also pureed all of the contents of the pot before and it makes a very intense flavored sauce..I prefer a more beefy flavored gravy so I usually strain most of it out, add more stock then some browning liquid, and my slurry, then I just strain it when I want to serve it..

Last edited:
Do I sear the roast before I cook it? What about the veggies?
Sure..most sear it on both sides then remove it..add your veggies and saute for a few minutes, then splash your liquid of choice in there along with your herbs, pepper, etc....get that simmering for a few minutes and then put your roast back in..I let it simmer again for a bit before putting the lid on it and placing it in the preheated oven..some people do the whole thing on the stove..not sure what your preference is..

I don't usually add herbs, because I like the beefy flavor. Pretty much just kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. A bay leaf or two would be good, though. :yum:

A pot roast dinner is usually a two day thing here, and since I'm retired and have the time, that works for me. :ermm::LOL: I brown the chuck roast, slow cook in the oven until tender, put in the fridge overnight, the next morning I skim the congealed fat and save out a few tblsp. for gravy. Like Roch mentioned, I add beef broth to the fat, maybe a little flour, and the pan drippin's for a gravy.

Also like Roch mentioned, I steam the veggies separately so they're not cooking in grease.

I LOVE pot roast, and it's worth it to me to take the time to have a few days of dinner already cooked, and just reheated. :)

Do I sear the roast before I cook it? What about the veggies?

Like you, I am not a fan of pot roast. A chuck roast is the most common cut of beef. Just keep in mind that you will need to cook at a low temperature for a long time to make it fall-apart tender.

Definitely brown the beef first. That fond is flavor.

As for veggies, I hate carrots, so ignore me on that item. I like onions. Lots of onions... and garlic. I would braise the beef at 250f to 275f with your onions and garlic, and a bouquet garni of your favorite herbs, and add veggies like potatoes and that orange stuff I don't like during the last hour of cooking.

The most important thing is do NOT go by time and temperature. Cook the meat until it is fork tender. Your meat will be done when it is done. It is done when it is fork tender. It will be different every time you cook it. Fork tender = done.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom