Prime Rib Ignoramous Here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sleemie

Assistant Cook
I love Prime Rib and couldn't resist when my grocery store had it on sale for like 1/3 of the regular price. It was like a $40 plus dollar cut for like $15. This was probably my first mistake...I decided to freeze it because I had it in the fridge for a few days and wasn't going to be able to cook it anytime soon and I didn't want it to go bad. So, I'm thinking of how it looks when I buy it in a restaurant...and I decide to make it look that way when I put it in the freezer and I slice it into to three pieces, the size of which what you usually get in a restaurant. I finally get around to looking up how to cook it and all the recipes are for the full cut, not the slices like I now have.

So, I need some advice on how to cook it. I guess I could just follow the same recipe and modify the cooking times. Start out with like 400 degrees and then lower it to like 300. I've seen it different ways, some do 500 at first then 200, and some do 400 then 300. I usually love my steaks cooked pretty good on the outside, almost to the point of being burned, but with prime rib I like it TOTALLY soft and mushy, so I don't think cooking at 500 initially will get it the way I like because it would make the outside too cooked. I got it that way at a restaurant somehow by mistake one time and it wasn't even like Prime Rib to me any more, I would have been happier with a hamburger. I like it medium rare, to where it's just BARELY still pink on the outside, and the inside isn't completely rare, but kinda pinkish.

Thanx for any advice....

Having cut it into three "restaurant" portions, by which I assume you mean one rib bone and attached meat per portion, I think you pretty much have to treat it like bone-in rib eye steaks. I believe that if you tried to roast it as if it hadn't been cut, it will get dried out and overdone in the middle. However, I'm just guess here -- maybe someone else has figured out a way to do this successfully. But I would grill it. CLICK ME

Unfortunately, I don't have a grill. Wouldn't it be too thick to grill, though?

I'll enjoy it if I can figure out how to cook it..:rolleyes:

Actually, it wouldn't be too thick to grill, but you would have to grill carefully.

Since you don't have a grill, you could use a grill pan or (carefully) use the broiler in your oven. However you choose to cook it, it will be delicious. Enjoy!

Do you have a large frying pan, preferably cast iron? If so, maybe you can pan broil it, although just one steak at a time.

Pan roast them forsure, season heavily with coarse salt and pepper, sear in cast iron if you have, or a nice fry pan if not, get it nice and hot, then add oil and get oil nice and hot just before smoking point sear good on one side, then flip throw in some butter and into the oven, baste with butter when you remove it, and rest. Thats how I would do it Hope whatever you do turns out good cause thats a hell of a deal you got!

I know this will sound bizarre but will work.

Buy some 100% cotton string and tie the pieces back together as they were originally. Feel free to use plenty of string and tie it up so all parts are tightly together.

Now you can roast it according to the directions you have for a roast and you will be able to separate it into slices by cutting the string. You will have the same as a restaurant serving of prime rib.

I know this will sound bizarre but will work.

Buy some 100% cotton string and tie the pieces back together as they were originally. Feel free to use plenty of string and tie it up so all parts are tightly together.

Now you can roast it according to the directions you have for a roast and you will be able to separate it into slices by cutting the string. You will have the same as a restaurant serving of prime rib.

Andy is right. I don't know why I didn't think of this either. His method is simply "reconstructing" the meat. If tied securely, you should be fine.

That sounds like a plan! I never really got far along enough in my cooking research to know if I have to cover it when I do the slow cooking part. I would think so. I ask because my cooking supplies are kind of lacking at the moment and I don't have any kind of deep cooking pan. Just a glass dish, the 13 x 9 x 2 type I do all my baking in, and a broiler pan, of course. Another question, I'll probably be the only one eating it, so that means leftovers. Will this do well as a leftover? Is there a way to heat it back up without having to cook it beyond it's medium rare state? Or could I maybe reheat it in a way that's similar to one of the other cooking methods, like putting it in the broiler, or sear it in the pan and then put it in the oven a bit?

Do not cover the roast for any of the cooking time.

A low sided pan is best for roasting. The 13x9 or the broiler pan without the slotted insert will do fine.

You may want to consider undercooking the roast the first time then eating the more cooked slice (one of the ends) first then heating the other slices for later eating. Then the underdone ones will be closer to what you want when reheated.

Be sure to watch the internal temperature of the tied-together roast. I think it might cook a little faster than a roast of the same size that hasn't been cut into serving portions.

Here is what I would do..

First.. get some beef to boil to get some really rich broth.
Season the broth really well.
Tie the roast back together. and season the outside well. Sear all the way around in a hot skillet, or a place on a rack in a hot oven. Do not cook past very rare.

Untie the slices and dip in the simmering broth to finish cooking. It will only take a minute or two in the broth to finish cooking to desired level.

Of course this is just my opinion...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom