Prime Rib Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marajo

Cook
I am hosting 20 people for Christmas and will be serving prime rib(s). I will cook one in my stove oven and could I do the other one in an electric roaster? thanks in advance.

I agree, they can both be done in the oven. Start with a hot oven {425} for 30-45 mins then drop down to 350-375 for the remainder of your cooking time. {use an instant read thermometer} Also, season VERY well {S+P, garlic powder, onion powder and rosemary for mine} a day in advance and allow to "cure" in the fridge uncovered. Remove from fridge an hour or so before putting into the oven {this cuts down a bit on cooking time} cook to desired doneness and let it rest before serving. Good luck and enjoy your meal!

Are you making salt shells for them? For the one's we've done, the salt shells have been critical to keeping them moist and helping with the slow roasting element. I agree with the others, you should be able to do them both in your oven. If you are tight on space, the electric roaster would do in a pinch but it may take a little longer ...
Good Luck!

both in one oven? is the cooking time affected? I was curious re: the electric roaster if that is considered a moist type of cooking. but then people do turkeys in them all the time. thank you for the advice.

I don't advise moist heat at all- do them both in the oven if you can. A salt dome isn't necessary IMO. I've made literally tons of prime rib in restaurants, the bulk of it in a conventional oven (although a convection oven is nice for browning the herb/garlic crust).

Technically you're better off using high heat at the end, not the beginning- just ask Alton Brown.:chef: But high heat to start is okay, too. I suggest a bit of Montreal Seasoning or Canada's Best Steak Seasoning to start, along with Classic Herb Seasoning. If you can't find that, go with kosher salt or Lawry's salt along with fresh ground pepper. The last thing to add should be chopped garlic, enough to liberally coat the whole thing, although not too thick or it won't stick thru out the cooking process.

I suggest a pan with a roasting rack so air can circulate around the roast (yes, a prime is a roast). I'd suggest very high heat to start (say, 450) for about 30-40 minutes to brown the garlic a bit. Then lower the heat to 275-300 degrees. You'll probably have the best results if you use an electronic temp probe with a temperature alarm, like Kitchenaid makes. They're only about $20, and you'll use it all the time. Stick the probe in the end of the prime, right straight in and parallell to the roast in the thick part. Then set the temp alarm for about 5-7 degrees less than you want the prime to be. This way once it goes off, you can take it out and let carryover bring it up to the desired degree of doneness.

Using this method, the middle will be fairly rare but you can get some doner slices off the ends (and the end cuts will provoke fights as people vie for their chunk!:ROFLMAO:). Cooking at lower temps will result in a prime that's less "bulls-eyed", meaning it will cooked pretty evenly as opposed to being very red in the middle and very done on the outside. The hotter you cook the more you'll get this "problem" with your roast. Some like it that way, though- it depends upon if your guests like it really rare or not.

Try to buy the best meat you can get- you can't do much to jazz up bad meat. A real butcher shop is your best bet unless you know of a good market or have access to your own supply. Most true prime grade goes to restaurants and higher-end specialty butcher shops. I prefer to season the loin and let it rest uncovered in the fridge overnite if I can. For best results, remove the meat a couple hours before roasting- it's ideal if the meat is near room temp when you cook it.

Lastly, I like to serve prime on demiglace, au jus, or with a side of horseradish cream. This is just sour cream with minced horsey added. It's a wonderful accompaniment to good beef.

Good luck with your prime, and happy holidays!:santa:

I know if their of of any size 10-14lb its hard to get enough space in a regular oven to get that important air space around it ,plus your drip pan for the sauce.It would probably be worth your worry to get up real early and cook them separate in the oven.Prime is to costly and good to take a chance on.Also IMOP they should be heavily spiced.I like to stick a knife into them and push herbs,etc down in there ,so the center will be flavored like the outside,even sew it up if necessary.Good luck!

Last edited:
What is a good size Prime rib to feed 4 people, 2 of whom are very healthy teenage boys? Any other tricks I should know about before I start? I've never cooked one but it is my favorite when dining out.

I purchased a 14 lb rib roast and decided to get salmon rather then a 2nd roast; not all guests are that fond of beef. we do our salmon on the grill so no competition for the oven. what I don't have is a carving board but the thought of going to the mall makes me crazy.

Ah, the dreaded mall this time of year. Do you have a commercial kitchen store near you? Look in the yellow pages for one. Doubt it will be crowded there.

I agree with Rob Babcock on his instructions. I, myself, do not use a thermometer until the end as that way the juices don't run out. Brandied mushrooms go with a prime rib very well also.

I third Rob's instructions. However, Prime Rib, or more correctly, a standing rib roast can be simply seasoned with just S & P. The seasoning is completely up to you. Also, get the roast with the bones on. This will give the meat more flavor and give more succulent results.

Another good technique is to cook for 20 minutes at 450, turn off the oven, let the roast cool with the oven, and then reheat before serving at 300 until the internal temp reaches about 125 - 130 degrees. And to prevent loss of juices, use the temperature probe or a meat-thermometer designed to stay in the roast while it cooks.

There are many methods to produce the "perfect" standing rib roast. Do a quick Google search and you will find many. Personally, I like mine cooked in the Webber Barbecue Kettle, with the lid on.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

We got a heck of a deal at SAM's this week. Their meat packer sent them PRIME grade prime rib, SAM's sold at the choice price!

Yep, sometimes just simple is pretty darn good. We smoke ours, but only salt & pepper it, with some sliced onions on top.

http://www.ebsbbq.com/xmSPRIME.jpg

i have said it once i will say it again...if any of the houses near Raine go up for sale...please let me know, cause im buying!!!

I don't use a thermometer at work making prime since I've made several tons over years- I know my ovens and I've got it scienced out. For the amateur that only makes it occasionally at home I feel the little bit of juice you lose is worth it to have it done perfectly each time. YMMV or course.:chef:

Rob - tried to send you a private email but you're not set up to accept them. Oh well, maybe someone else will be interested in this, as well!

I will be preparing Prime Rib this coming Sunday for a local shelter - enough to feed 30 people. Supposed to be 2 full sized roasts. I asked the butcher to cut them down into 4 to 5 lb roasts. Was that a bad idea? I don't have 6 hours to cook them. Especially since I keep seeing that the roast(s) should be room temperature (about an hour of sit time) before putting them in the oven.

I found a recipe that calls for rubbing the roast with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, & thyme but I love your Montreal Steak seasoning idea. I thinking that I can mix that with the olive oil.

I realize that you can't give me an exact figure but when should I put the roasts in the (gas) oven in order to serve them at noon? There are 2 ovens so there will be a few roasts in each oven at the same time.

I'm planning to use frozen "stew vegetables" as the rack & then serve them for one of the side dishes.

Thank you so much!

Hmmm...I'm not sure why a PM didn't go thru. I think I've recieved them before. They don't take that much longer whold as compared to being cut up, mostly because of their shape. While I agree that S&P is enough, I really like Montreal Seasoning coated with garlic. Depending on how done you want them, 3 to 4 hours will suffice for a whole lip-on. Cutting them into very small roasts will be faster, but you lose a bit more moisture. Then again- more end cuts!:ROFLMAO: They're the best part.

Cut into small (5 lb or so) peices, I don't think you'll need much more than 2.5 hours, depending on doneness.

BTW, letting them stand isn't imperative- it's nice, but not a deal breaker. I'll probably be doing prime for Xmas myself. I've been doing the low carb thing for years, but for Christmas I'll probably splurge a bit and make mash potatoes, either with wasabi, roasted garlic or carmelized onions.

Happy holiday, all!

Back
Top Bottom