Reverse sear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bullseye

Head Chef
So, I started out with a frozen rib steak. I had previously tried the reverse sear method with good results, and might have done so with this one, but I hadn't decided yet--with the oven pan and rack there is a bit more cleanup. Anyway, I put the steak to thaw in a pot of water and added some hot water to make it warm, but I forgot the tap was on. The steak more than thawed, it became warm. I checked with the Thermopen and found it had reached 100* F. I decided to go with the procedure as if I had warmed it in the oven, except I patted it dry and seasoned it at this point. The results were excellent! Medium rare and juicy with a nice crust. An interesting alternative to the oven?

You've discovered the "hot tubbing" method! Same as a reverse sear, but some think it gives a more even doneness. Most put them in a ziplock bag and put into warmed water until 100*, just like you did, and then season and sear.

Well I've never heard of "hot tubbing," but it did work well. Seems especially appropriate if you're already thawing it.

Intersesting.

Another method along the same lines as sous-vide. Do you think you lost flavor since the meat was submersed in water?

Intersesting.

Another method along the same lines as sous-vide. Do you think you lost flavor since the meat was submersed in water?

Well, the meat was in the plastic freezer bag I had frozen it in, so it didn't come into direct contact with the water. I found the meat to be at least as tasty as it's twin that was cooked fresh a couple weeks ago.

How long was it in that 100 degree water? That is not the safest thing to do.

It was in for maybe 45 minutes, and since the meat made it to 100 degrees, I assume the water was somewhat warmer, not that that would affect the safety factor. It's not uncommon to let a steak come close to room temperature before searing, so I didn't think there was cause for concern. Perhaps I'm mistaken?

I am no expert bullseye, but it sounds like that amount of time would not cause a problem. If it were a few hours then it might be a different story.

For future thawing, use your water method, but use cold water (below 40 degrees) so that you are safe. Believe it or not, that will still be the fastest way (aside from microwave thawing, yuck) to thaw your meat and it is safe to do if you water stays below 40 and the meat is completely submerged.

It was in for maybe 45 minutes, and since the meat made it to 100 degrees, I assume the water was somewhat warmer, not that that would affect the safety factor. It's not uncommon to let a steak come close to room temperature before searing, so I didn't think there was cause for concern. Perhaps I'm mistaken?

Can you take a measurement of your tap water temp?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom