Roast rib of beef with green pepper and thyme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Roast Rib of Beef with Green Peppercorn and Thyme

The outer parts of the rib joint will be well done, with a peppery crust, while nearer the bone it will be pink for people who like their beef rare
(This recipe came from a magazine produced by one of my local supermarket – about 3 years ago, so I’m unable to cite source!)

Cooking time: 2 hours, plus 20 minutes resting time

3-3.5kg Aberdeen Angus forerib of beef
50g butter, softened
1 good handful of fresh thyme
2 tsp green peppercorns, coarsely crushed
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to your taste
1 tbsp plain flour
1 large onion, thickly sliced
500g shallots, peeled but left whole

Gravy
2 tbsp plain flour
500ml beer
300ml beef stock
Pinch of dark brown sugar
Few drops of Worcester sauce

Preheat the oven to 230°C, gas mark 8. Wash and dry the beef. Beat the butter with 2 tsp of the chopped thyme, the peppercorns and seasoning. Spread this on all sides of the beef and sprinkle it with the flour. Cover and chill for 2-3 hours.

Place the onion in a layer in the centre of a roasting tin and add a few sprigs of the thyme. Place the beef on top. Roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes, then lower the heat to 190°C, gas mark 5. Cover the joint with foil and roast for 15 minutes per 500g, plus an extra 15-25 minutes if you prefer your beef medium to well done.

Roast the shallots, sprinkled with a little extra thyme, alongside the beef for the last 35-45 minutes of cooking. Remove the beef from the oven, transfer to a serving dish and tent with foil to keep warm for 20-30 minutes while you make the gravy.

For the gravy, place the roasting tin on the hob and spoon out any excess fat, leaving 3-4 tbsp in the tin. Stir in the flour, followed by the beer and beef stock. Simmer, stirring all the time, until thick and dark. Strain the liquid into a clean pan, and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes. Season, add the brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce, and stir in the juices from the carving tray.

Accompaniments
Serve with roast potatoes. Also try parsnips mashed with lots of butter, a little cream and some nutmeg. Braised traditional white celery would be good, as would some crisply cooked green cabbage. For something different try chunks of roasted autumn squash - roast them in olive oil with large slices of red pepper, thyme sprigs and a little dried red chilli flakes. Butternut, crown prince and onion squash are also good for roasting.

I'm having a small supper party on Saturday evening and I'm making this - I'll just adjust it slightly to make it stretch to feed 8!

sounds fantastic! 2 things though..if i just goto my buther and say i need Aberdeen Angus forerib of beef , will he know what im talking about...cause i sure as heck dont know what im asking for!! Do you think Costco sells this part of the beef?
Also..for those of us mathematicaly challenged, can someone please translate the *amount* of each ingredient into something more tangible (i.e. cups, tsp., etc).

thank you!!!

Mugsy - Aberdeen Angus is our best beef. So whatever breed you have as your best would be similar, I suspect!

One of the Mods on here has put a Converter at the top of a number of the fora on here.

'Fraid I don't do 'cups' etc!

Back
Top Bottom