Roasting the perfect Prime Rib?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've used a similar method and it seems to work well. I don't do it this way anymore as I feel the reverse sear method produces a better roast and doesn't tie up your oven.

It's the opposite of the method you referenced. First you cook the roast slowly (225ºF oven) to your preferred degree of doneness then you rest it for 30 minutes and put it back in the oven at 500ºF-550ºF for 5 minutes to forma nice crust.

I've tried that method almost identically, Andy, and a few slightly different variations - and while it has turned out ok most of the time, it still leaves me wondering whether I could get a somewhat better result with another approach.

So I'm going to try Chef John's version tonite, and see how it goes.

It's a 4.1 lb. 2 rib roast which I'm going to start at 500 degrees for 22 or 23 minutes, hoping the smoke alarm isn't activated !
I'm planning to give it close to 4 hours standing unrefrigerated to get it to room temp before roasting, and hope that helps to ensure getting the desired result.

It's currently 8:00 a.m. here in Vancouver, and I'll take it out of the fridge around 11:00 a.m. - to plan on eventually having a finished roast by 6:00 p.m.

Last edited:
P.S. - we have 2 ovens, so I'll be able to simultaneously bake some Yorkshire puddings while the roast is finishing.
I can't ever have Prime Rib without Yorkshires ! LOL

Preheat oven to 500F. The roast should be at or close to room temp. Season roast. Place on rack in roasting pan. Place in oven, middle rack and cook for 5 minutes. Then reduce the temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound. Let roast rest for 15 to 20 minutes, tented, before carving. I find this method to work with many beef roast cuts.

P.S. - we have 2 ovens, so I'll be able to simultaneously bake some Yorkshire puddings while the roast is finishing.
I can't ever have Prime Rib without Yorkshires ! LOL

You should try Emeril's wild mushroom bread pudding!:yum: It has become a family staple for Xmas prime rib dinner.

Preheat oven to 500F. The roast should be at or close to room temp. Season roast. Place on rack in roasting pan. Place in oven, middle rack and cook for 5 minutes. Then reduce the temp to 200F and cook 1 hour per pound. Let roast rest for 15 to 20 minutes, tented, before carving. I find this method to work with many beef roast cuts.

This sounds like it would produce a very similar successful result as Chef John's method - I say successful in view of the numerous positive reviews from those trying the Chef's method and giving it top marks for producing a near perfect roast.

This sounds like it would produce a very similar successful result as Chef John's method - I say successful in view of the numerous positive reviews from those trying the Chef's method and giving it top marks for producing a near perfect roast.

Hasn't failed me yet.

Here's a pic of the finished product -

Just a bit disappointed that the photo didn't turn out better, and that the roast turned out a touch less medium rare than I would have liked it -

BUT, overall, the roast was incredibly moist, tender, tasty, and unquestionably several notches better than I've ever had it - no doubt about that.
So - it was a success - my BH loved it, and she's not a beef lover by any means.

I'm hooked, and I'll do this again, with a couple of slight adjustments !

Just before cutting it open, it registered an internal temp of near 140 degrees, and ideally it should have been around 135 for my taste/and consistency of the meat.

Attachments

• IMG_9574 - Best Prime Rib.jpg
    IMG_9574 - Best Prime Rib.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Here's a pic of the finished product -

Just a bit disappointed that the photo didn't turn out better, and that the roast turned out a touch less medium rare than I would have liked it -

BUT, overall, the roast was incredibly moist, tender, tasty, and unquestionably several notches better than I've ever had it - no doubt about that.
So - it was a success - my BH loved it, and she's not a beef lover by any means.

I'm hooked, and I'll do this again, with a couple of slight adjustments !

Just before cutting it open, it registered an internal temp of near 140 degrees, and ideally it should have been around 135 for my taste/and consistency of the meat.

If it didn't turn out the way you wanted, why would you use the same method, even with adjustments?

I want to use Craigs method, but since my wife will not eat medium rare, I have not purchased a rib roast.
Why waste money. I just order it when we go out to eat. Which is very rare. (no pun)

The problem with this method is that it can be a shot in the dark. As in your case, it did not come out med rare even though you followed directions. Slight difference in ovens and accuracy of temperatures can make a difference.

I like the reverse sear method as it gives a more uniform cook throughout and you can ensure doneness accuracy with a thermometer. Check out the link Just Cooking posted.

If it didn't turn out the way you wanted, why would you use the same method, even with adjustments?

Are you actually expecting an answer to that ?

Very simply, it's because I also said......." it (the roast) was unquestionably better than I've ever had it...".
And with a little practice, I think I can make it even better.

You paid no attention to those words and others I made as to the good taste and tenderness of the roast, seeming simply to want to make an annoying comment.

As usual, I agree with Andy. The only addition I have is to fire up the charcoal grill, with divided set of coals, and a drip pan in between the charcoal beds, half filled with water. No smoke wood is required for standing, or prime rib. You want the natural flavor of the beef to shine. Season simply with S & P. Rub the outside of the roast on all sides with butter, or olive oil. Place the roast, bone-side down, over the drip pan. Use a meat thermometer with the tip inserted into the thickest part of the meat, but not touching the bone. put cover on the grill, and close all vents to hal open position. Cook until thermometer alarm goes off at 125 degrees. Remove lid and add a little more charcoal. Let it get hot. Cover with all vents wide open. Cook to 130 degrees F. Remove the roast to a serving platter. Let rest for 15 minutes. The temp will rise to about 135. Remove the drip pan and use the liquid to make Au Jus. Serve with mashed rutabaga, sweetened with a tbs of brown sugar, and seasoned with S &P, and a baked potato. Use a crust french, or Italian bread to sop up the Au Jus. If your want to go over the top, add the Au Jus to more beef stock and make a demi-glace to spoon over the meat slices.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Are you actually expecting an answer to that ?

Very simply, it's because I also said......." it (the roast) was unquestionably better than I've ever had it...".
And with a little practice, I think I can make it even better.

You paid no attention to those words and others I made as to the good taste and tenderness of the roast, seeming simply to want to make an annoying comment.

I guess not, but you're the one that made comments about not totally meeting your expectations. I'm just not in the habit of repeating something that didn't quite meet my expectations and expecting a different result.

Back
Top Bottom