Roch's Stewed Beef in Tomatoes w/pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Here is one way I like to use tougher beef cuts. I like to braise it for a long time in tomato sauce. Tonight I am using a 1 lb piece of eye of round that I got on sale for 1.88. per lb, a can of tomatoes, about a half of a pepper, 1 onion, garlic, parsley, and a bit of hearty red table wine. For pasta, I am going to go with Rigatoni, because there is a bag of it open. So, by my calculation, the whole meal for two with leftovers isn't costing much more than 5 bucks...

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
First, I slice the meat against the grain in small, two or three bite sized pieces. Pound it out thin, season with salt and pepper, dredge in flour and brown on both sides. Then, when that is done, I remove it and put it aside. I added the chopped garlic, onion and peppers and saute until soft. Then deglaze the pan with about 1/4 cup of red wine. When that is almost evaporated (cooked to au sec :)) I then add the tomatoes,(which I ground myself with a hand blender) a bay leaf, some thyme and basil, tsp sugar, ground peper and parsley. When that gets simmering I put the meat back in the pan and am going to let it simmer for about an hour or so...you can leave this longer, which will give you more tender meat. If the sauce reduces too much and gets too thick I add some beef broth or tomato juice. (I guess you could use water if that is all you had). Keep checking to make sure it isn't sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
So far so good.
Nice hunk of cheese, too!
Yeah. Reggiano. The one and only around here. It's been about 50 minutes now. I just put the water on for the pasta. I am going to pop a steamer over it and do up a few veggies while it cooks. Normally, I would like to give it another half an hour to stew, but I fell asleep this afternoon and woke up late. :LOL:

All done. I like to take the meat out and serve it separately. Then, I toss the cooked pasta in with the sauce and give it a good stir. Square meal, square deal.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Yeppir. That's a good looking meal.
Thanks for walking us through the steps.

very nice, rock! :yum:

i'll have to try this one soon. i love things slow cooked in tomato sauce. i looks really hearty with the rigatoni. good choice of pasta.

very nice, rock! :yum:

i'll have to try this one soon. i love things slow cooked in tomato sauce. i looks really hearty with the rigatoni. good choice of pasta.
Thanks. It is definitely peasant food. But comforting and rewarding at the same time. One of those meals that fills the house with wonderful smells and builds up anticipation. I prefer short pasta like rigatoni and penne. It takes less work to shovel it into my mouth....:pig:

Last edited:
ed zachary! :)

i like rigatoni because you can stab them sideways or fork through the holes of 1 or two with equal ease for a mouthful. ziti and penne often split eaten ths way. squirmy little penne make me nuts when i want to shovel food into my mouth. :pig:

your's certainly doesn't look peasent-like, however. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom