Silver Tip Roast AU POIVRE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
I like pepper alot. I have a silver tip that roast that I want to make next weekend. I have all colors of peppercorns in my spice cabinet. Any suggestions on how to make this dish? Should I crush the peppercorns crust the meat sear it and then roast it with some liquid and aromatics? I do not want this to be a "Pot Roast." I like some texture in my meat. How do you recommend to get good pepper flavor, moisture, and texture in the cut of beef?

All time favourite.

heat oven to 475f

Spread the top with Dijon mustard and the grind pepper. Its a good idea to seive it to get rid of the dry, over the top powdery chafe. Press the pepper over the mustard.

Make a trivet with onion halves,Face down.(that way they'll brown and add yum and colour) Celery and carrots. This will give you a rich gravy.

Put the meat on the trivet of veg at give it 20 mins.
Turn the heat down to 375 and give it 15 mins a lb then another 15 for rare. 30 for medium and 45 for well done.

Baste as often as you remember. The more the better

Take it out and cover tightly with foil. It'll stay hot for an hour easily and it needs to rest.

Take the veg out and consider them cooks perks with a shake of salt.

Deglaze the pan with 1/2 a glass of red wine, Add a glass of water or beef stock. Reduce slightly and thats it. If you want a really rich gravy, whisk in a few knobs of ice cold butter. Season.

Probably too late but you can dry roast the meat. I prefer it that way.

Season the outside of the meat all the way around. Get your over very hot, 500F. Put the meat in on a rack at that temp for 15 minutes then turn the oven down to around 280 without opening the door. Timing depends on the size, After 30 minutes, check the temp with a meat thermometer. Remember to stop at least 5 degrees short of the desired temperature. At that point remove the roast from the oven and allow it to set of a minimum of 15 minutes, 20 is better.

When you cut into it the meat will be well crusted from the high heat to start but the interior will be very moist and juicy.

Make sure to put the rack over a catch pan to catch the drippings...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom