Skirt Steak and Mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
I picked up some Shitake and Oyster mushrooms at the farmers market today. I picked up some skirt steak at the butcher as well. I am thinking this will make a great dinner of Tuesday night. Any suggestions for cooking methods. I know skirt can be tricky and really have never worked with the oster and shitake mushrooms before. Looking for some guidance.

Skirt steak is not tricky at all as long as you follow two simple rules.

1. Do not over cook. That means no more than med rare.

2. Slice thin against the grain.

I generally do not eat mushrooms so I will have to pass the baton to someone else for that question.

If you're nervous about cooking skirt steak, here's a recipe that pleases everyone. It's a 2-step cooking process, but makes a delicious filling for tacos and burritoes.

Carne Asada Beef

Ingredients:
1 skirt steak
1 onion
1 green bell pepper
3 to 4 heaping tsp. chopped fresh cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
Salt
Pepper
2 jalapenos peppers, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced

Fire up the grill with a solid bed of charcoal, or all burners on your gas grill.
Lightly season both sides of the skirt steak with salt and pepper. Cook the steak for three minutes per side.

Remove the steak and finely dice. Heat up a heavy 11-inch cast-iron or equivalent skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbs. cooking oil to the pan. Place the dice meat and all other ingredients into the pan. Stir frequently and cook until the onions and peppers are tender. Taste and correct the seasoning (add S & P to taste)

The smoky flavor of the grilled steak combines with the cilantro, peppers, and lime juice to create an incredible flavor.

Serve with diced avocado, or guacamole, shredded lettuce, grated cheese of choice, & diced tomato, either in a freshly steamed flour tortilla, or freshly softened, fresh corn tortilla.

San you say yummy in Mexican?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom