Sloppy Joes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
Growing up my mother always use to cook Manwich Sloppy Joe's and I use to love them! But DH doesn't like the way that Manwich taste but he loves him some Sloppy Joe's so this is my recipe for cooking them without Manwich

1 lb. Ground Beef or Chuck (I usually use whatever is cheaper)
1 cup onion (finely chopped)
1 tbsp Prepared Mustard
1 cup Prepared Ketchup
Hamburger Buns (Or whatever kind of bun you would like)

Brown Beef in frying pan, while the beef is cooking add the onions so that they can start to cook. When the beef is browned and no longer pink. Drain all the fat off the beef and return back to frying pain. On medium heat add Ketchup and Mustard and cook until everything is combined well and it starts to get thick.

These Sloppy Joe's are very easy and my family loves them! And they almost taste like the Manwich Sloppy Joes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems simple enough ! My DH loves sloppy joe's too .. will give this a try and see if I can fool him !

I agree, sloppy joes remind me of being a happy kid! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Do you pick them up and eat them or use a knife and fork?

I'm a coward, I use a knife and fork!

I make them about the same way you do. I add a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of brown sugar.

They make great pizza burgers, similar to the ones we had in the school cafeteria growing up! Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and place some half buns on a baking sheet, top with a scoop of sloppy joe mixture, top with a slice of cheese and place it in the oven until the bun is brown and the cheese is melted.

Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks, Jessica!

I wanted to have sloppy joes recently, so I bought some Manwich. UGH. Too sweet! Thanks for the alternative. I'll try that.

I usually pick them up and eat them. Although I normally drop more back onto the plate than I actually get in my mouth. Sloppy Joe's do remind me of being a kid, it was one of my favorite meals. And still is!

I add some bbq sauce to the ketchup, yellow mustard, a tsp or so worcesetershire and sometimes a spoon not packed brown sugar. One or two sticks fine chopped celery.

Things I have added not routinely-- smashed garlic, chopped bell pepper and jalapenos.

If I want chili dogs, it's about the same recipe with some chili powder and cumino added in.

I think they are called sloppy joes for a reason. I serve from the pan onto the buns already on the plate, No middle man serving dish, no silverware not as many dishes to wash. I suspect elbows on the table, but I will have to watch my manners on that one. I like potato chips as a scooper to chase around the sloppys that dribble off the bun ( a treat in my house I don't keep on hand, except for such occasions). I buy chips for egg salad sandwiche, and sloppy joes. That's about it.

Sloppy joe's is what's for dinner Friday, and probably Saturday too. Yum yum.

We never used Manwich, as it was way too sweet for us. I like your recipe Jessica, but we always used a small can of tomato sauce and half an envelope of Lipton Onion Soup mix with a spoon of Dijon mustard.

Last edited:
My Dear Wife likes hers made very simple; a can of Campbell's Tomato Soup, and a pound of ground beef. Yep, that's all there is to that, and she won't eat them any other way.

Me, well you all know me. I have to get complicated for it to taste good. But I get rave review from everyone but DW.:LOL:

Here's how I make mine (taken from one of my cookbooks)... Oops, I don't have it with me. I'll get it and post it when I get home. Sorry 'bout that.

Oh, and much to my surprise, DW's version is might tasty. I don't know how that's possible with the simple ingredients.:ohmy: But it's true.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I had Sloppy Joe's once many years ago and I liked them. But I know they weren't made with Manwich. :angel:

looks good, jessica. i haven't had a sloppy joe in a long time, but after reading this i'm craving one.

i remember my mom making them similarly simple (and delicious) as yours, but i think she added some coca cola for sweetness. i'll have to experiment. thanks. :chef:

Looks great, I am in South Africa and will be trying this one out! Thank you for the recipe - looks easy enough and sure my daughters will just love them.
We usually make something like this, but with "Vetoek" - batter fried in hot deep oil, drained on a rack and then the ground beef would be put inside and enjoyed.
Funny enough as we entering Winter it brought back memories.
Thanks!

Looks great, I am in South Africa and will be trying this one out! Thank you for the recipe - looks easy enough and sure my daughters will just love them.
We usually make something like this, but with "Vetoek" - batter fried in hot deep oil, drained on a rack and then the ground beef would be put inside and enjoyed.
Funny enough as we entering Winter it brought back memories.
Thanks!

Welcome to DC Mel :)
We also make good old Vetkoek and mince but if I'm too lazy I just buy some rolls and make Sloppy Joes, most times I still curry the mince though. Can't seem to get out of the SA ways :LOL:

I don't use manwich or Sloppy Joe mix or any other type of barbecue sauce. I use Grandma's spaghetti sauce instead. I call them Sloppy Giuseppes!

I don't use manwich or Sloppy Joe mix or any other type of barbecue sauce. I use Grandma's spaghetti sauce instead. I call them Sloppy Giuseppes!
That's what we do too, except it's not Grandma's spaghetti sauce, it's ours. I don't think either my Swedish or my Danish grandmother ever made spaghetti sauce. I'm not sure they ever tasted spaghetti sauce. :LOL:

I agree, sloppy joes remind me of being a happy kid! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Do you pick them up and eat them or use a knife and fork?

I'm a coward, I use a knife and fork!

I make them about the same way you do. I add a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of brown sugar.

They make great pizza burgers, similar to the ones we had in the school cafeteria growing up! Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and place some half buns on a baking sheet, top with a scoop of sloppy joe mixture, top with a slice of cheese and place it in the oven until the bun is brown and the cheese is melted.

Thanks for the reminder!

They served pizza burgers at my school! :yum:

When I make sloppy joes, I sometimes add bbq sauce too, and bell peppers in addiction to the onions. We love sloppy joes here.

Well kids, as promised, here's my recipe. Most of your are going to say that it's way too complicated. But there was a lady who used to be a member of the DC family, who bought my beef cookbook, and made this recipe (which is straight out of my book) for her husband. He loved it. Previous to this recipe, she hated sloppy joes. She loved it as well. Her husband took some to work. She reported back to me that his co-workers kept trying to get him to have his wife make more.

Of course my head swelled. And that Mac Davis song started ringing through my head. You know the one. It goes something like this - "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way...":ohmy::LOL::LOL::LOL: (that's me laughing at my own absurdity).

In any case, if you feel like trying them, I won't even make you buy my book. I'll just post the recipe right here, right now.

Exerpt from my cookbook "You Can Be a Great Cook With Beef":

" [FONT=&quot]Sloppy Joe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]’[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Before I met my wife, I was going out with another young lady who lived at home with her parents. One day I was at her place and she said [/FONT][FONT=&quot]"[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ya want some lunch?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Of course, being an exceptionally slender twenty-year-old, with an ultra-high metabolism (whatever happened to that metabolism anyway), I said [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sure.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]She went into the kitchen to find a can of store-bought Sloppy Joe sauce and some ground beef. To make a long story short, she had no sauce and was at a loss for something to make. I replied that peanut butter and jelly would be fine. She complained that her heart was set on Sloppy Joe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]'[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I said [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Well let me see whatcha got.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]”[/FONT][FONT=&quot] She had ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, tomato paste, etc. I quickly threw together a sauce with fresh chopped onions and green peppers added for texture and flavor. She was amazed. I was amazed that she was amazed. But I was the culinary hero (a dangerous thing for a twenty year old whose head swelled easily). I wasn[/FONT][FONT=&quot]’[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t yet a very good cook. But this seemed pretty elementary to me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The point of this is that with a little imagination, you can create almost any recipe you desire. And remember, if you make your own, you can tailor it to your tastes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is the original [/FONT][FONT=&quot]'[/FONT][FONT=&quot]meal in a pan'[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. As an example of the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]'[/FONT][FONT=&quot]tailor it to your taste'[/FONT][FONT=&quot] principle, my wife'[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s idea of Sloppy Joe Sauce is completely different from mine. But her'[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s is really good, and exceptionally easy to make. However, this is my book so your going to get my sauce. After you get the idea, you can make your own, modified to fit your family'[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s tastes. You can even use the store-bought stuff if you like it. I won'[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t tell.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-4 oz. can tomato paste[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-6 oz can Tomato Sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-12 oz. can dark red kidney beans[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot] clove minced garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot] medium yellow onion, diced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 heaping tbs. chopped green pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup dark brown sugar (for Diabetics, substitute an equal amount of your favorite sweetener and a tsp. of molasses)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tsp. Chili Powder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot] tsp. Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tbs. Worcestershire Sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 bay leaf, crumbled[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tbs. olive oil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 lb. ground beef[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Place ground beef into a 12 inch covered frying pan and place over medium heat. While the pan is warming, add the olive oil to a 1 quart sauce pan and apply medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and bay leaf to the oil and saute until the onion turns translucent. Add the remaining ingredients, stir until well blended, cover and turn down heat to simmer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lift the lid from the ground beef and break up the meat into bite sized chunks. Lightly salt the meat, stir, and cover. Check the meat and stir the sauce every five minutes until the meat is cooked through. Drain the meat into a suitable bowl and place the juice in the refrigerator for later use. Combine the meat and sauce and serve over hamburger buns.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]The Wife[/FONT][FONT=&quot]=[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s Sloppy Joe Filling[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now you get my wife[/FONT][FONT=&quot]=[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s recipe. When you see it, you might just say [/FONT][FONT=&quot]'[/FONT][FONT=&quot]why bother'[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. But let me assure you that on a cold day, when time is at a premium, this tasty and quick meal is sure to please. I would not have ever thought to make this on my own. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It just goes to show that there are some pretty basic recipes around that taste great.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cans Tomato Soup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 lbs. Ground Beef[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot] tsp. Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 twelve oz. Can Dark Red Kidney Beans[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Hamburger buns per person.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Drain the Kidney Beans. Brown the ground beef in a covered skillet. Drain and rinse, reserving the liquid for another meal. Add the remaining ingredients and heat until bubbling. Serve on hamburger buns."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom