Smothered Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
Smothered Steak

2 lbs. Tenderized Round Steak or Cube Steak
1/3 Cup Oil
3/4 Cup Flour
1 Cup Diced Onion
1/2 Cup Diced Green Pepper
1/2 Cup Diced Celery
1 Tbs of Chopped Garlic
2 Bay Leaves...
4 Cups Defatted Chicken Stock (or water)
4 or 5 Dashes Worcestershire Sauce
Pinch of Thyme
Salt, Black Pepper, and Cayenne to taste

Heat the oil in a large pan.....Season the meat with salt, pepper, and brown in the hot oil. Brown in small batches draining on paper towels after each batch. When all of the meat has been browned, reduce the heat and add the flour stirring constantly to make a medium brown roux. Stir in the vegetables and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock (water) all at once, and stir until the gravy has formed. Add the bay leaves, thyme, and Worcestershire Sauce...Adjust the seasoning. Make the gravy taste good!!!! Place the browned meat in the gravy, cover and simmer until the meat is fork tender. Serve on rice and garnish with green onions.

That looks like some good ol' down-home southern food to me....yum! I love smothered steak with rice and gravy, and your biscuits look so light and flaky (I detect melted butter on top before baking :mrgreen:).

That looks delicious! My father makes something similar, but it is a lot easier. He simply browns 1-2 pounds of tenderized round or cube steak. Then, in a mixing bowl, he combines 1 family size can of cream of mushroom soup with milk (pour the milk in the family size can after you empty its contents). He places the browned steak in the soup mixture and lets it cook all day in the oven at 225 degrees. It is absolutely delicious! :) I'm sure yours is great. I may have to try that sometime.

Back
Top Bottom