SOS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
How do you make your beef on a shingle? I used to love it and just saw an article somewhere where the meat was actually ground beef. (Or was it on t.v.?) Anyway how do you do it and what do you serve with it?

How do you make your beef on a shingle? I used to love it and just saw an article somewhere where the meat was actually ground beef. (Or was it on t.v.?) Anyway how do you do it and what do you serve with it?

I havent had it for 40 years but Mom made it with Carl Buddig beef in a bag and bechemel sauce.

jenny has it right though it can be made with ground beef also (less salty). If you go with the ground beef I'd suggest it will need some seasoning with salt and pepper. We usually serve it over toast.

I haven't had "SOS" in years. It was one of my dad's specialties, I assume dating back to his army years. He always used Hormel dried beef to make his SOS. We also had it over toast or English muffins.

3194097397_cfc3656920_o.jpg

My ex made some abomination with dried beef and canned tomato soup that was so salty it was inedible but she loved it.

I grew up with the beef in a jar and the jars became our juice glasses.

I think it was Armour back then and the jars had little stars around the rim.

The dried beef has become so expensive and the quality is not all that good so now when I make it I use pieces of ham and a handful of frozen peas. I usually serve it over baked or boiled potatoes.

I grew up with the beef in a jar and the jars became our juice glasses.

I think it was Armour back then and the jars had little stars around the rim.

The dried beef has become so expensive and the quality is not all that good so now when I make it I use pieces of ham and a handful of frozen peas. I usually serve it over baked or boiled potatoes.
Same here! The small jars were our juice glasses and the larger ones were our regular drinking glasses. For those who don't know, they were made to be used that way later--no threads on the top.

I like your idea of using ham and peas. :yum:

You have to soak the beef in the jar to rinse out some of the salt. It use to be a cheap meal for Sunday night. I would sometimes put a hard boiled siced egg in the sauce. Always toast. I will have to look at it the next time I go shopping. See what the price is now.

It was the late 40's and I was up my uncle's house for supper. He was a very quiet man. You had to really pay attention to him when he talked because he talked so softly. He had just gotten out of the Army and when he sat down at the table to eat, his wife put SOS in front of him. That dish went flying across the room. It was the only time I ever saw or heard him raise his voice. I doubt if my aunt ever served that to him again. :angel:

My dad was just the opposite. He was in the army WWII. He liked SOS. and it was something mom couldn't screw up. Too much. The cream sauce was often lumpy. Served on toast or mash potatoes. The cream sauce thread recent, had me thinking about making this again. It's been awhile. I buy the kind in a jar. Also, tried the frozen Stouffers once. not very good.

It's always had such a bad reputation (mostly from M*A*S*H for me) that I've never made it. Don't think my mom ever did, either. Her dad had a disability and didn't serve in WWII.

We always called it chipped beef on toast. I didn't learn the other name for it until I was a teenager (still call it chipped beef on toast). My mom always added chopped hard boiled eggs to hers. We probably had it at least three or four times a year. It was quick to make, and it was comfort food. My mom could have made shoe leather taste good though. :flowers:

My dad was just the opposite. He was in the army WWII. He liked SOS. and it was something mom couldn't screw up. Too much. The cream sauce was often lumpy. Served on toast or mash potatoes. The cream sauce thread recent, had me thinking about making this again. It's been awhile. I buy the kind in a jar. Also, tried the frozen Stouffers once. not very good.

Everything I have ever tried of Stouffers, left a lot to be desired. It's a good thing I always buy the single serving.

Sometimes even if I don't have any chipped beef, I will hard boil an egg and add it to the white sauce, on toast. It is the white sauce that gives it flavor. I could eat a pan of white sauce as if it were soup. :angel:

My Mother and Grandmother made many imaginative dishes using white sauce to stretch a small amount of food.

Things like hot dog coins, sausage, hard boiled eggs, canned tuna, salted cod, etc...

Usually served with potatoes and a pan of biscuits.

As others have said it was comfort food plain and simple.

I still make some of those concoctions in the winter when a blizzard is raging outside my window.

I actually look forward to it a couple of times each year! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

My Mother and Grandmother made many imaginative dishes using white sauce to stretch a small amount of food.

Things like hot dog coins, sausage, hard boiled eggs, canned tuna, salted cod, etc...

Usually served with potatoes and a pan of biscuits.

As others have said it was comfort food plain and simple.

I still make some of those concoctions in the winter when a blizzard is raging outside my window.

I actually look forward to it a couple of times each year! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Amen! My mom could stretch food with the best of them! I learned that from her and stretch a lot of things with tomatoes, white sauce, etc.

My ex made some abomination with dried beef and canned tomato soup that was so salty it was inedible but she loved it.

With a recipe review like that she would have been my ex too! :ROFLMAO:

Mom made it with (Armour's) dried beef (rinsed), white sauce with a goodly amount of pepper, hard-boiled eggs, all served over toast. She'd get all fancy and put slices of eggs on top of our servings but to Dad it was still SOS. ;) Lots of times she'd make a Chipped Beef Pot Pie with the dried beef. Same stuff, different look. Just so long as Dad had mashed potatoes to put it over he was good with it.

We always called it chipped beef on toast. I didn't learn the other name for it until I was a teenager (still call it chipped beef on toast.

same here. is the stuff in a jar chipped or shredded? or is it more like ground. i would imagine there's a textural difference, albeit small.

my mom usually made it with leftover pot roast, especially if she overcooked the roast and/or it was too lean and should have been made into a roast beef.

she fork shredded the leftovers, made a brown gravy, then served it over toast. but only when my dad was working the late shift and took something else for dinner to work. after 3 years overseas in ww-2, he wouldn't touch the stuff.

sometimes mom mixed chunks of boiled potatoes into it and even chopped pickles to help stretch it out.

the pickles and potatoes were an idea taken from her norwegian dish called lob scaus that i've mentioned before.

no matter what, though, it was always served on toast or else it wouldn't be "on a shingle".

Last edited:
My Dad would ask for it and us kids would chime in our request, too. Shrek likes it, so I get to have it as often as I would like.

Back
Top Bottom