St. Patrick's Day Corned Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, being a New Englander, we must have the traditional boiled dinner around St. Pat's Day. So easy in a crockpot, too.

But the corned beefs are so cheap this month, that we buy several (points) and smoke at least one, chill it and slice it on a meat slicer for pastrami.

Pastrami is one of my all-time favorite sandwiches. There's never enough of it!

Lee

Attachments

• Homemade pastrami.JPG
    Homemade pastrami.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 188
I'm with ya on that smoked corned beef. I love corned beef cooked on my Webber with a bit of sugar maple thrown on the fire. It develops such a depth of flavor. I like to use the corned rounds for the Webber and the corned brisket for the boiled dinner. The round slices so wonderfully thin. And since my DW doesn't care for pepper, I add that to my sandwich, along with some good horseradish. It's also absoulutely great with aged swiss cheese and rye with caraway.

But in the Irish way, I'm going to stick with the boiled dinner type of meal.

This has nothing to do with St. Patty's day, but if you ever get the chance, make a boiled dinner with venison or goat. It is tremendous (goat tastes quite similar to venison).

Now I just wonder, good boiled dinner with rye bread to dip in the broth, hmmmm. I wonder how rye croutons would taste?:chef:

Oh, VikiQ, glad you enjoyed the little skit. I do 'em to make ya smile.:)And Constance, me and Blarney, well, we be pals. Ya should have read the one with the tom-turkeys fighting over a hen turkey a couple Thanksgivings back.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Dove said:
What cut do you all favor? I still haven't fgured out what cut to buy..

Marge, we usually cook at least 30 lbs. of corned beef at work every year for St. Patrick's day. :lucky: We like to use corned beef rounds. I really don't think that it makes much of a difference whether you use round or brisket. Both are tougher cuts of meat that require several hours of slow cooking.

Here is some info on corned beef from the Dept. of Agriculture.

Corned Beef

ronjohn55 said:
Since it's on a Friday this year, there will be no corned beef or beer for me on St. Patrick's day this year (So Bucky, you'll need to drink my share, too). We'll likely do something with fish, and have the corned beef on the 16th or 18th.

John

The last time there was a St. Patrick's Day during Lent on a Friday, Catholics received special dispensation for the day because of the tradition. Being a Byzantine Rite Catholic as opposed to a Roman Catholic, we don't receive that kind of dispensation, but I remember clearly that the Roman Catholics could have their corned beef that day. Now this could be because I'm in the Chicago area and there are plenty of Irish Catholics, but I'm not sure if it's an "across the board" thing, so to speak, or not.

Ah, I see that this issue has already been addressed. It must be something done by each diocese or something.

BC

Last edited:
gw, i am incredibly insulted with your making light of irish accents.

actually, i'm only insulted because it's better than my irish accent...:-p

lol, good post.

Corned beef and cabbage and carrots all cooked together in same juices. Served together on large platter. I cook it all in a lg pot on the stove.

kimbaby said:
I make mine with cabbage and potatoes... :)

Potato??? That's not very Irish!! :-p Who ever heard of Irish potatos? :ROFLMAO:

And thanks everyone for the kind words about the dispensations and all - I've heard of it in the past, but I just have corned beef on a different day, and don't sweat it. Besides, we almost always have one in the freezer, regardless of what time of year it is. I'm also planning on trying to make my own from a brisket this spring, just to try it. (And to make pastrami, add me to the list that LOVES home smoked pastrami, too!)

John

how do you sweat corned beef? :-p

talk about irish spuds. a few of the boys from the old country have told me that when they worked potato farms, they always dreaded a rainy harvest season. the muck and mud was so heavy, so exhausting, and you were soaked, muddy, and frozen all day.
boy were they happy to be working in the restaurant industry in ny.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
how do you sweat corned beef? :-p

You put it in a pan with a little bit of oil and cook over medium/low heat until translucent - it can take a REALLY long time with big cuts of corned beef! :ROFLMAO:

John

GoodWeed, I'd thought about trying to make corned venison, but the process is more than I'm willing deal with.
I'd love to try the boiled dinner with some of my venison though. I'm wondering if duplicating the seasonings in the little packet that comes with the corned beef would give it the flavor I'm looking for. I can identify the mustard seed and bay leaf...what else do you think I might add?

Connie;
To the mustard seed that you already mentioned, add:
4-6 lbs venison brisket, flank, or round
5 Tbs. Tender Quick®
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1 Tbs. ground black pepper
1 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp ground bay leaves
1 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Rub the meat mixture thouroughly with the seasonings, add a bit of water, and let marinate overnight.

Basically, corning spices are a mixture of pickling spices, like what you would use for bread & butter pickles. The sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate will stain the meat it's charecteristic red/pink color.

Myself, I'd use cracked black pepper rather than the ground stuff.

hope this helps.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hi friends - Does anyone have a recipe for calcoon- the potato anad cabbage side- I'm thinking about trying it this year.Thanks- Love and energy, Vicki

Did you mean Colcannon, Vicki? I'd love to fix the dish, but my husband really hates cabbage. Basically, it's just mashed potatoes mixed with butter and cooked shredded cabbage, and maybe some hot milk. Some recipes call for leeks, onions, shredded boiled ham, bits of bacon, carrots or parsnips.

Thank you both- Buckytom- I did see that episode with Tyler Florence I think it was last year- I just forgot about it-I'm going to print out the recipe and thanks for the correct spelling!!!!!Constance-thanks for your reply as well!!!Love and energy, Vicki

Back
Top Bottom