"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2022, 10:43 AM   #1
Certified/Certifiable

Steak & Egg Breakfast

I decided to treat myself this morning to a steak & egg breakfast. I had some top sirloin in the freezer that needed to be used up, eggs, bread for toast, and some yummy fig jam. So I went to work on breakfast. First, I used a serated knife to cut the frozen steal into three portions. I the washed a heavy CI pan with hot water untill any grease was gone. The pan was heated just under the stove top's highest heat setting, until it just started to smoke. I seasoned the still frozen steak with S&P, and placed into the pan. The meat was cooked for three minutes per side to give it a proper crust. While it cooked, I heated the oven to 200' F. When the meat was browned, I tranfered it to the oven, and roasted for 8 minutes. While the meat roasted, I pan fried an egg in a little butter until the whites were starting to set. I then added 2 tbs. of water and covered the pan. The redultant steam finished the egg to perfection, with the whites gently, but completely set, and the yolk perfectly runny. The egg was plated. Toast was made, buttered, and spread with the fig jam. When the eight minutes had elapsed, I used a meat thermometer to check the internal steak temperature. It showed abou 100' F. I placed the pan back into to oven for another 8 minutes. This time, the temperature read 120' F. I plated the steak, and gave it 5 minutes to rest.

The egg was perfect. The buttered toast was perfect. The steak, well it was a dissappointment. The meat thermometer was badly off. Thogh the steak had good flavor, and was very juicy, it was grey, all the way through, and chewy. I had a well done steak on my plate. I will definitely be purchasing a new thermometer.

I ate a good portion of the steak, and thouroughly enjyed the egg, and jam covered toast. The remaining meat will be cut into bite sized cubes, and put into some kind of stew. It's a shame, as that piece of meat had such great flavor. Ah well, you win some, you lose some. Here' pictures.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220630_084820.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	52409   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220630_084823.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	52410  

Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:04 AM   #2
Senior Cook

If a steak is less that 2” thick, don’t trust a thermometer. Use the finger tip poke method.
I sometimes freeze a steak, but I plan ahead and take it out of the freezer well in advance. If not thawed, microwave it until its ready to fry.
kb0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:11 AM   #3
Master Chef

Sounds good, minus egg. I do not know what happened to me, but starting about 2 or so years ago I developed aversion to fried eggs. Use to love cheese omelet or sunny side up. Now can't eat it.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:55 PM   #4
Senior Cook

My first thought on reading this post was, 'What? Steak for breakfast???' My second thought was, 'Are you sure it's ok to fry steak from frozen?'

Gillian
GilliAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
My first thought on reading this post was, 'What? Steak for breakfast???' My second thought was, 'Are you sure it's ok to fry steak from frozen?'

Gillian
Steak and eggs for breakfast isn't common - it's kind of an old-fashioned, high-end hotel type dish. I wouldn't cook from frozen but that seems to be a bit of a fad these days.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:07 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I have steak and eggs when we have leftover steak from the night before.

Tags
breakfast, egg, fast, other, steak