steak help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
hi. My husband has been getting different cheap cut steaks at BJ's and it seems everyone he gets is tough, fatty, veiny. Sometimes it's hard to tell when you see it before you cook it - but after cooking it your like ewllll. It's not my cooking method either.

Does anyone know what cheaper cuts of steak are good? can't always buy the wicked expensive ones.

also, when you have a piece of steak and say you want to put a digital thermometer in it - how do you put the theremometer in or I should say where?

Thanks so much!!! We've had just too many steaks like this recently.

A steak that I like to buy is Top Sirloin....It is very flavorful, and cooked properly very tender....The secret to this cut is to buy it thick -- 1 1/2 in. at least, and not over cook it. I like to cook Top Sirloin medium rare, and slice it thin. At this thickness I find that one steak will serve two or three even four...depending on the portion size. In my area today, Kroger has Top Sirloin for $2.99 lb!!! --- That's for USDA Choice Beef too!! That's a great value!!

When I measure the temperature of a piece of meat I like to insert the thermometer into the edge, and into the thickest part. In other words don't insert the thermometer straight down. Go into the thickest part from the side. This will ensure that your thermometer tip is truly in the center of the thickest part...

Have I thoroughly confused you???:LOL:

Listen to Bob.. Top sirlion is one of my favorite cuts of beef. Very nice flavor, texture is nice, cooks evenly.

Back
Top Bottom