Steak methods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And off at a tangent, I wouldn't knowingly give my money to a restaurant which used sous vide. Basically, it's stewing the meat before browning it off, which may allow them to serve up inferior meat as "steak" but doesn't do real steak any favours! (As I said at first, I have connections at all ends of the trade and am well versed it what goes on in some establishments!)

Well then, you wouldn't want a steak at my house.

It is not "stewing" meat, and when I do it, it has amazing steak flavor. As for substituting a cheaper steak, like Andy said, if you don't know the difference, you don't know steak. I'll write it off to living in the UK, whereas I live in Texas. There is a 3,000 acre cattle ranch a few blocks from my house.

CD

Tonight's steak, sous vide and seared (not stewed). I went with USDA Prime Sirloin tonight, as that was what I had in the freezer.

CD

Attachments

• SteakSousVide.jpg
    SteakSousVide.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Does anyone use a tenderizer tool with pointed spikes on cheaper less marbled cuts? I don't own one. Supposedly, it won't make the juices flow out because the holes close up on themselves (after you've added meat tenderizer or Accent or spices). I tend to buy less expensive cuts to save money. I'd rather buy one that has thinner round spikes rather then larger rectangular ones (as shown).

tenderizer1.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone use a tenderizer tool with pointed spikes on cheaper less marbled cuts? I don't own one. Supposedly, it won't make the juices flow out because the holes close up on themselves (after you've added meat tenderizer or Accent or spices). I tend to buy less expensive cuts to save money. I'd rather buy one that has thinner round spikes rather then larger rectangular ones (as shown).

tenderizer1.jpg
I recently tried a salt cure on an inexpensive cut. Pack on kosher salt on one side of the steak so the entire surface is heavily coated and place in the fridge on a plate for 15 minutes per 1/4 inch. So if your steak is an inch thick, let it cure in the fridge for an hour. No less, but longer won’t hurt it. Remove the salt and cook as you would for a good, tender, more expensive cut.

I recently tried a salt cure on an inexpensive cut. Pack on kosher salt on one side of the steak so the entire surface is heavily coated and place in the fridge on a plate for 15 minutes per 1/4 inch. So if your steak is an inch thick, let it cure in the fridge for an hour. No less, but longer won’t hurt it. Remove the salt and cook as you would for a good, tender, more expensive cut.

I gotta try that. Not sure how it tenderizes the steak, salt draws out moisture, but I'll surely give it a go. BTW, I won't/can't afford more than a $4.50 steak. I buy the thin cut ones. Bone in if I can find them. Bone in steaks seem to cook up and taste better. That is, the meat closest to the bone is yummy. I end up tearing that part off with my teeth. :LOL:

Last edited:

tenderizer1.jpg

Those are really for tougher, stringier cuts of meat.You can also use a meat mallet to tenderize those cuts. I use a meat mallet to make chicken fried steak.

You can poke all the holes you want into meat, as long as you do it when the meat is cold. Once the meat is hot... NO HOLES!

CD

I gotta try that. Not sure how it tenderizes the steak, salt draws out moisture, but I'll surely give it a go. BTW, I won't/can't afford more than a $4.50 steak. I buy the thin cut ones. Bone in if I can find them. Bone in steaks seem to cook up and taste better. That is, the meat closest to the bone is yummy. I end up tearing that part off with my teeth. :LOL:

Kroger has some great meat deals in the Manager's Special section, which is meat sold on it's "sell-by" date. You can get a really good steak within your budget.

Oh, Ralph's in SoCal is owned byKroger, so they should have the same thing.

BTW, salt draws out water, not fat, so you get a more intense beef flavor, and no loss in juiciness, as long as you don't overcook your steaks. Not sure what salt does for tenderness.

CD

Last edited:
I can't be there everytime on sale, if they even have them. What about buying one of those steak puncture-ers? :ohmy: :huh:

Worth it? Or will poking it with a fork do? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I can't be there everytime on sale, if they even have them. What about buying one of those steak puncture-ers? :ohmy: :huh:

Worth it? Or will poking it with a fork do? :ROFLMAO:

I honestly prefer a meat mallet to tenderize a cheap cut of steak, over a jaccard (the name of the meat puncture-er). I used to have a jaccard, but got rid of it. IMO, the mallet does a better job.

Yes, a fork will work like a jaccard. It will just take longer. I'd still go with a meat mallet.

The "manager's specials" at Kroger/Ralph's are hit and miss. Every time I go to Kroger, I look at the manager's specials section in the meat department. Sometimes there is nothing I want (today, for example), but sometimes I hit the mother lode. Just look! You have nothing to lose if you are already in the store.

CD

I have a meat mallet with short spikes on the other side, but don't feel like pounding the steak into submission.

Well, you asked a question, and I gave an answer. I just gave you my honest opinion, based on my own personal experience. All I can say now is buy a jaccard and give it a try. You may like it. You may not. In the end, we all have to decide for ourselves. After all, you are the Robert Blake, of your tenderized steak.

Wait, probably not a good Chef John pun. :huh:

CD :angel: :D

I have these three. They all do the trick. One is better for thicker cuts.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 51WS6pVKXdL._SL1001_.jpg
    51WS6pVKXdL._SL1001_.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 712ybzzoiKL._SL1200_.jpg
    712ybzzoiKL._SL1200_.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 141
Just for fun, I timed the total cook time (6 min.) as instructed, and the rest time on a plate under foil was 10 minutes. It's always scientifically important to rest your steaks after cooking to insure the juice is in the meat and not on your plate.

Wow Kayelle! I'm definitely coming to your house for dinner next time I'm in the States!:LOL:

Oh don't worry, we have plenty of streaky in the uk!

On a slightly different point, a friend of mine told me that steak should be patted dry with kitchen paper and then put in a hot pan with no butter or oil or anything. I have tried this but the seasoning just tends to burn and stick to the pan.

I just wondered if anyone else has tried this?

On a slightly different point, a friend of mine told me that steak should be patted dry with kitchen paper and then put in a hot pan with no butter or oil or anything. I have tried this but the seasoning just tends to burn and stick to the pan.

It works well just using coarse salt and nothing else. Wait long enough for it to be easily released from the skillet before turning.;)

You should pat the steak dry and season with just salt. Some oil in the skillet is fine. It helps the browning process. When a protein (meat, poultry, fish) hits the skillet, the heat causes a reaction that sticks the food to the skillet. When it's stuck, leave it alone. After some time in the hot pan, the meat will release and can easily be turned.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31542&stc=1&d=1537141571

I cooked these mothers last night. Massive compliments. Aged fillet steak. S and p both sides, sat in fridge for 3 days.

Equal amounts butter and extra virgin oil, (1 tablespoon) cooked on searing skillet. Turned once. Never ever had a complaint, ever. Served with garlic sauce and also mushroom sauce. D.i.l loves both. Her birthday, her choice.

Russ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 219

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom