Steak methods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31542&stc=1&d=1537141571

I cooked these mothers last night. Massive compliments. Aged fillet steak. S and p both sides, sat in fridge for 3 days.

Equal amounts butter and extra virgin oil, (1 tablespoon) cooked on searing skillet. Turned once. Never ever had a complaint, ever. Served with garlic sauce and also mushroom sauce. D.i.l loves both. Her birthday, her choice.

Russ

Great looking bacon wrapped filet's there Russ. I love using these silicone bands instead of toothpicks, and they can be reused many times.

Attachments

• silicone bands.jpg
    silicone bands.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 181
Great looking bacon wrapped filet's there Russ. I love using these silicone bands instead of toothpicks, and they can be reused many times.

Thanks for the name. My kids always trying to find something nice for me.
They would be time saving.

Russ:chef::yum:

This is my Turkish meat hammer. Grisly, isn't it! Does a wonderful job of tenderising meat! I bought it from a butcher in Istanbul in 1971.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Turkish Meat Hammer

This is my Turkish meat hammer. Grisly, isn't it! Does a wonderful job of tenderising meat! I bought it from a butcher in Istanbul in 1971.

This time with picture!:ermm:

di reston

enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

attachment.php

Attachments

• turkish meat hammer 2.JPG
    turkish meat hammer 2.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 281
There we go again! I'd like to think that it was so wierd it had tio go in twice, but the reality is I'm useless with computers, as you already know!

di reston

This time with picture!:ermm:

di reston

enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

attachment.php

If I ever take up wrestling, Turkish Meat Hammer would be my name !!:LOL:

And off at a tangent, I wouldn't knowingly give my money to a restaurant which used sous vide. Basically, it's stewing the meat before browning it off, which may allow them to serve up inferior meat as "steak" but doesn't do real steak any favours! (As I said at first, I have connections at all ends of the trade and am well versed it what goes on in some establishments!)

Sous vide is in no way stewing!!

And it does do steak a nice favor.

You would be very surprised at how many high-end restaurants employ a sous vide set up -- for many things, not just protein

Dear friends, when I posted my pictures of my meat hammer, it was to illustrate that it doesn't tear the fibres in the meat - which something many of them do.
You can see, by the sheer weight of the hammer, and the fibres aren't torn at all, although the meat comes out very tender.

You shouldn't have said what you did, it makes me look like an idiot, and it isn't funny.

I'm going to let this go this time, but be careful what you say in future, especially when it comes to other members of the group. What you said was hurtful and nasty.

di reston

Dear friends, when I posted my pictures of my meat hammer, it was to illustrate that it doesn't tear the fibres in the meat - which something many of them do.
You can see, by the sheer weight of the hammer, and the fibres aren't torn at all, although the meat comes out very tender.

You shouldn't have said what you did, it makes me look like an idiot, and it isn't funny.

I'm going to let this go this time, but be careful what you say in future, especially when it comes to other members of the group. What you said was hurtful and nasty.

di reston

If you are referring to the Wrestling Name joke, methinks you are taking offense where none was intended. Professional Wrestlers assume "Wrestling Names," which are meant to make them into "Superhumans." Names like The Rock, Stone Cold, The Anvil, or The Mongolian Stomper.

Scott just quipped that Turkish Meat Hammer might make a clever Wrestler's name.

CD

Last edited:
I honestly prefer a meat mallet to tenderize a cheap cut of steak, over a jaccard (the name of the meat puncture-er). I used to have a jaccard, but got rid of it. IMO, the mallet does a better job.

Yes, a fork will work like a jaccard. It will just take longer. I'd still go with a meat mallet.

The "manager's specials" at Kroger/Ralph's are hit and miss. Every time I go to Kroger, I look at the manager's specials section in the meat department. Sometimes there is nothing I want (today, for example), but sometimes I hit the mother lode. Just look! You have nothing to lose if you are already in the store.

CD

I only use the mallet when I want a thinner piece of meat for the dish I'm making, and I mostly use it for chicken breast. My Jaccard doesn't mash the cut down so much, but still does its job of cutting the tough fibers and tenderizing a round steak or the like for dishes like chicken fried steak or some sort of Swiss steak. I use it quite vigorously, punching the entire steak with parallel stamps, then rotating 90° and going over it again.

To the OP: It's not something you would typically do for a steak that you are grilling. For that you really want a better quality cut.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom