Steak Myths Debunked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe this to be common sense when cooking a steak..

I still allow a steak to sit out of the fridge before grilling/cooking. Perhaps more out of habit as, I've known Kenji's thoughts on this for a long time.. Also, I still have a hard time using anything other than tongs to turn a steak.. I suppose "don't poke it" was planted within my mind, long ago..

Ross

Same, although I use one for stovetop cooking, too. I'm not into burning my arms.

I use 12" tongs for stovetop and longer ones for the grill (15"?). I also have a nice long grip spat that keeps my hand away from serious heat.

This article warrants a point by point response.

1."You should let a thick steak rest at room temperature before you cook it."

Well you can if you want, but I never did. And BTW I was he one who made the steaks - when they could get me. I saw no uneven cooking.

I will admit that there is a possibility that the meat cooks a bit differently. I also admit that I made room temperature steaks, but noticed no difference.

If you season the steaks much, that may make a difference.

2. "Sear your meat over high heat to lock in juices."

He disagrees. Well I have personally seen juice almost quirt out when first cut on the plate. (I can't envision that coming out of sous vide)

3."Bone-in steak has more flavor than boneless."

He disagrees. I say he hasn't cooked a bone in steak right. When I do the bone goes to the hotspot. It actually then hotter than the rest of it.

Bone has no flavor ? Where does he think bone broth comes from ?

4."Only flip your steak once!"

He disagrees and so do I. They also need to be turned.

Five is to not season before cooking. We know better.
Six is not to use a fork. I don't, but for other reasons. I might be on a cheap grill and it sticking could pull the whole thing to pieces. And even if it wouldn't screw it all up, I don't want to leave too much meat on the grill to clean (burn) off next time.

T

Well you can if you want, but I never did. And BTW I was he one who made the steaks - when they could get me. I saw no uneven cooking.

I will admit that there is a possibility that the meat cooks a bit differently. I also admit that I made room temperature steaks, but noticed no difference.

He disagrees. Well I have personally seen juice almost quirt out when first cut on the plate. (I can't envision that coming out of sous vide)

He disagrees. I say he hasn't cooked a bone in steak right. When I do the bone goes to the hotspot. It actually then hotter than the rest of it.

Six is not to use a fork. I don't, but for other reasons. I might be on a cheap grill and it sticking could pull the whole thing to pieces. And even if it wouldn't screw it all up, I don't want to leave too much meat on the grill to clean (burn) off next time.

T

You still have much to learn, Grasshopper. When you can walk from your living room, to your kitchen, on rice paper, without damaging the rice paper, only then will you be qualified to make spring rolls.:LOL:

seeeeya; Chied Longwind of the North

The rice paper sounds like good kindling.

Also, rice paper is used in the better rolling papers.

T

T

Fascinating.

Next time I need expert advice I will check with you, rather than J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, Guru of Food Science; James Beard Award winner for his cookbook, The Food Lab; New York Times food writer; and in the food world, along with Harold McGee and Nathan Myhrvold, are just a step or 2 below a god.

You should really check the background of the author before you diss what he has to say.

Fascinating.

Next time I need expert advice I will check with you, rather than J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, Guru of Food Science; James Beard Award winner for his cookbook, The Food Lab; New York Times food writer; and in the food world, along with Harold McGee and Nathan Myhrvold, are just a step or 2 below a god.

You should really check the background of the author before you diss what he has to say.

^^ This

Back
Top Bottom