Stir-fried Beef in Oyster Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Someone asked about some Chinese recipes, so I'm posting some that I have. I know it's not in the Ethnic forum. Mods please move if you feel it needs to be there.

Stir-fried Beef in Oyster Sauce
Yields: 4 - 6 servings

1# round steak
2 T soy sauce
1 T cornstarch
3 T vegetable oil
1 T minced garlic
1 T minced gingerroot
3 ¼ c mixed mushrooms such as shiitake, oyster, and straw mushrooms
2 T oyster sauce
1 t sugar
4 green onions, cut into short lengths
Ground black pepper
2 fresh red chiles, seeded and cut into strips

Place the steak in the freezer for 30 - 40 minutes, until firm, then, using a sharp knife, slice it on the diagonal into long strips. Mix together the soy sauce and cornstarch in a large bowl. Add the steak, turning to coat well, cover with plastic wrap, and marinate at room temperature for 1 - 2 hours. Heat half the oil in a wok or large heavy skillet. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for 1 - 2 minutes, until fragrant. Drain the steak, add it to the wok or pan and stir well to separate the strips. Cook, stirring frequently, for a further 1 - 2 minutes, until the steak is browned all over and tender. Remove from the wok and set aside. Heat the remaining oil in the wok or pan. Add the mushrooms. Stir-fry over medium heat until golden brown. Return the steak to the wok and mix it with the mushrooms. Spoon in the oyster sauce and sugar, mix well, then add the ground black pepper to taste. Toss over the heat until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Stir in the green onions. Tip the mixture onto a serving platter, and garnish with the chiles and serve.

Back
Top Bottom