Stuck on Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Cuillo

Sous Chef
I am still pretty new to the world of cooking though I have gotten better.:chef: I don't get frustrated when something comes out bad, I take it as a learning experience. I've finally accepted the fact that cooking is something that needs to be practiced and may not always turn out the best the first time!
I have tried to cook T-Bones, NY strips, sirloin...you name it, I've tried to cook it. You would think with all the times of coming out so well done it's close to leather that I would be able to figure out what in the world I am doing wrong!
I've tried searing it on the stove then finishing it in the oven...I've tried using the Foreman Grill...I've tried broiling it in the oven...what am I doing wrong?

close to leather sounds like cooked to long. If you gave us more step by step on what you did we would have a better idea.
There are a lot of factors including cut of meat, marinades if any, rubs if any, cooking methods, cooking times, and how you like it done from rare to well done.

I like my steak medium rare. The only rub I use is a little S&P. As far as the cooking time goes, I based that on what the outside looks like and when I cut into it, what that looks like. But usually the outside looks grayish and doesn't look like a steak should so I cook it a little long to make it look appatizing. Any help?

Higher heat to sear the outside before finishing in the oven. A good sear takes a high heat so if it is graying then the heat is too low.
About five minutes on each side in a little EVOO and garlic with just your rub should do it, and depending on the thickness that may be all you need.
For example, I use an iron skillet on high heat and add a little EVOO to the pan, wait for it to almost start to smoke, add some minced garlic, then slap on the steak (mine are about 3/4 inch thick I think), give it about five minutes on each side then serve it up. For me though that is usually a little less done than medium rare. I also don't turn it more than once.
I have also done it just a couple of minutes on each side to get a 'lighter' sear, then finished in a 400 degree preheated oven for about 10 minutes. You will have to experiment on time to get the doneness you want as ovens vary.
But the key to that initial sear is high heat.

I guess that's what I was doing wrong. I will try that...I guess it makes the most sense since you only want to get the outside looking good and not cooked all the way through.
Thank you for the help Mav, I really appreciate it!:)

Yep. You don't always get the perfect "look". If you think it's done, it probably is. Pull it off and eat it.

Mrs. C, I will approach the thickness of the steak here.

I have a very hard time cooking a thin steak, and by that I mean less than 3/4 inch thick, properly. Usually now buy at least one inch thick ones and try for 1 and 1/2 inch. Two inches is a treat.

Gotta talk to the butcher to get them that thick, and yes, supermarkets can do that. Ya just gotta ask.

Our preference is on the rare side of medium rare. You can always take a knife and look at it.

And it does become more cooked as it sits after its stay in the pan.

If the steak is gray on the outside I think the pan was not hot enough to start with.

With a thick steak just look at the edge and see how it is coming (am talking pan frying here). Flip when the cooked part gets to about 1/4 or maybe a tad more of the width of the steak.

Then give it a few minutes more.

And to me nothing but a very thick steak should be tossed into an oven.

Don't know if this helps but it is what I do.

Good luck and God bless.

Sounds like you aren't cooking it hot enough. George Foreman grills are not hot enough for me for steak.

I do enjoy a broiled steak. If you are using an electric oven, you have to have the racks up high. The steaks have to be close to the element or you are basically just baking it. My electric oven does a very nice job broiling steaks.

Pan seared works well too. Just get the pan hot before the meat is added.

Of course the best is grilled on charcoal, (or gas grill if you must). Get the grill really hot then put the steak on.

Not only are Foreman grills not hot enough, but since they are a clam-shell design, they cook the steak twice as fast, but they don't sear very well. Personally, I only used my Foreman grills for fajitas and quesadillas.

Use a cast iron skillet. Get it smoking hot. Sear your thick steak, flip, and finish in a 450 degree oven.

Use a cast iron skillet. Get it smoking hot. Sear your thick steak, flip, and finish in a 450 degree oven.

I don't mean to hijack here....
But Allen, have you ever tried this with a pork chop?
I was thinking of using this steak method last night just for something different on my 1/2" chops. I grilled them and they came out great, but this method always crosses my mind..... Then I could make a great gravy afterward.

I don't mean to hijack here....
But Allen, have you ever tried this with a pork chop?
I was thinking of using this steak method last night just for something different on my 1/2" chops. I grilled them and they came out great, but this method always crosses my mind..... Then I could make a great gravy afterward.

Sorta/kinda. Look here.

Yeah, kinda....
I was thinking a little more "naked" and not for 45 minutes.
I might give that a try next time I cook pork chops.

as to finishing in the oven, that's great for a fairly thick steak, but a thin steak is sear both sides and serve.

Thank you everyone!! It seems to be that my problem was the searing part and my pan not being hot enough. I really do appreciate all the help with this. I am willing to give it one more shot and if I can't get it, I will just have DH cook them!! The steaks that I buy are very rarely an inch in thickness so from what I understand, only pan searing them is enough to cook them just the way I like and get a good looking outside.

Just for kicks I bought a couple of strip steaks from ALDI today, they are only about 1/2 inch thick.
I got the iron skillet real hot, put salt and pepper on both sides of the steak. Then added 2tbsp of EVOO and some minced garlic to the pan. Made sure it was as hot as it was gonna get, then added both steaks and cooked for exactly 5 minutes on each side. The steak ended up medium, so I would reduce the cooking time to 4 minutes each side for medium rare and 3 minutes per side for less. This is on a gas stove.
They were still juicy and good, but I like pink thru the middle of my steak.

Back
Top Bottom