Stuffed Peppers in Crock Pot question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SueBear

Senior Cook
I've been looking for a recipe regarding this and I found one - more than a few actually. My problem is they're not meeting up to my expectations I guess that would be the way to put it.

Here's what I don't understand and maybe someone here can explain this to me better. First off, I'm a newbie with the cp world. My mom has had one forever and a day. Used to help her frequently when she made her famous roasts in it - oh my goodness would make the entire house smell wonderful!! :ohmy:

Anyway. My situation is this. Everytime I've looked at a recipe for the stuffed peppers I keep seeing it's not using tomato sauce like I'm used to making them with. Instead it's calling for tomato soup, why is that? The other thing I'm wondering is, if I can take two of the recipes that I'm seeing, one that has is calling for the soup and one that is calling for the tomato sauce and combine them together to make an improvisation. That make sense?

If anyone can help me out here with the little predicament I'm in I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd be more than happy to post the two main recipes (their differences) that I'm confused on.

Thanks in advance all!

Sue

not having seen the recipes, and a lover of stuffed pepers myself (although I do mine way different by the sounds of things) I sumise it`s because of the Liquid content, you`ll lose quite a bit during cooking leaving you with a concentrate that will be just right when it`s finished, this coupled with personal pref of the recipe writer may be the logic behind it.

that would be My guess anyway :)

YT2095 said:
not having seen the recipes, and a lover of stuffed pepers myself (although I do mine way different by the sounds of things) I sumise it`s because of the Liquid content, you`ll lose quite a bit during cooking leaving you with a concentrate that will be just right when it`s finished, this coupled with personal pref of the recipe writer may be the logic behind it.
that would be My guess anyway :)

Hmm, that would make sense since the steam build up in the cp. :chef: Good point. I suppose I need to keep looking for something then or settle for what I've come across. I was trying to prevent a whole lot of work in setting up the cp for the recipe itself; the less the better you know? ;)

Do you have your recipe posted on the board or could you share it with me? With the situation I'm in, I can appreciate all the help I can get. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the input!

Sue

mine`s quite simple in all honesty, I cook up some ground beef with an onion and garlic a few chilis, bay, pepper, a little beer,when it`s cooked to dry then pour off any fat from the meat and crumble in a few stock cubes.
while that`s cooling I half boil some rice and then wash that with cold water to stop the cooking and drain it.
I mix that in with the beef stuff and pack it inside the hollow de-seeded peppers.
that then gets put inside the pyrex cesserole dish (it fits 4 in perfectly and they help each other stand up) then a little cheese goes into each hole in the top of the peppers, the glass lid goes on and put into the oven for a good 40 mins on medium/high heat.

I serve 2 each in a deep bowl on a plate, the juice left in the pyrex dish gets poured evenly into each pepper again. present it with some fresh galic bread.

it probably reads complicated, but if you actualy DO IT or see it being done, it`s dead simple :)

I use both soup and tomato sauce, turns out very well, sauce is good over the mashed potatoes too -(which I always serve with it ) Yum !

options to think about. I found a few that might work with the cp. One very similar to cooking the rice before you put it into the crock pot with the tomato sauce so it's the best of both worlds but this does give me a few ideas of what I can do at least.

Thanks for the feedback ladies! :chef:

Sue

SueBear said:
I've been looking for a recipe regarding this and I found one - more than a few actually. My problem is they're not meeting up to my expectations I guess that would be the way to put it.

Here's what I don't understand and maybe someone here can explain this to me better. First off, I'm a newbie with the cp world. My mom has had one forever and a day. Used to help her frequently when she made her famous roasts in it - oh my goodness would make the entire house smell wonderful!! :ohmy:

Anyway. My situation is this. Everytime I've looked at a recipe for the stuffed peppers I keep seeing it's not using tomato sauce like I'm used to making them with. Instead it's calling for tomato soup, why is that? The other thing I'm wondering is, if I can take two of the recipes that I'm seeing, one that has is calling for the soup and one that is calling for the tomato sauce and combine them together to make an improvisation. That make sense?

If anyone can help me out here with the little predicament I'm in I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd be more than happy to post the two main recipes (their differences) that I'm confused on.

Thanks in advance all!

Sue

I like stuffed peppers. However, I would not make them in the crockpot for many reasons. The first being, the cp will turn the peppers to mush, then adding any sauce, will further dilute the recipe. The recipes for stuffed peppers come from very old recipes - with many variations. Some say add a spoon of ketchup - blech.

Suggestion - blanch the peppers, (do not plunge in cold water), cook the filling, fill the peppers, pour on the sauce, & bake. If you have any leftover filling, roll 'em into meatballs and cook alongside the peppers in the sauce. Top with cheese during the last few minutes of baking. IMO, the crockpot is best used for roasts and ribs.

I like to use Golden Mushroom soup with mine, unless I'm making them Mexican Style, and then I use the Nacho Cheese Soup. I have also used tomato soup, and even salsa.
I haven't tried doing them in the crock-pot, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't. They're just not going to need to cook all day. I would suggest putting some sliced potatoes or a boxed rice mix in with them (around the sides and on the bottom), so you'll have your whole meal ready. If you use the rice mix, you'll need to add a little less than the water called for in the directions, as you'll get some water out of the peppers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom