Tender Oven Cooked Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerplantop

Executive Chef
This recipe is a very easy method to cook a perfectly tender brisket in the oven! It takes some time but is mostly hands off. Perfect for when its to cold to fire up the smoker.

Brisket (I used a 15 pound one)

Mix 8 oz tomato paste, 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons black pepper and 2 teaspoons garlic. Spread on both sides of brisket.

Place into pan and cover with 3 pounds thinly sliced onions and a pinch of salt. Add 1/2 cup stock (beef or chicken). Cover with foil and cook until internal temperature is between 200 and 205 F. (I cooked this one to 203 / It took 8.5 hours).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5rLCUA3SOA

Last edited:
Oh boy, does that ever look good, James! :yum: Thank you for sharing your video, I always enjoy watching them.

I got to watch half the video James. My darn old computer continues to freeze up on me with all things video, including NetFlix etc. My computer guru says I need a new computer. Grrr.
Anyway, what I saw looks great. Holy cow, how many people are you feeding?

Oh boy, does that ever look good, James! :yum: Thank you for sharing your video, I always enjoy watching them.

Thank you!

I got to watch half the video James. My darn old computer continues to freeze up on me with all things video, including NetFlix etc. My computer guru says I need a new computer. Grrr.
Anyway, what I saw looks great. Holy cow, how many people are you feeding?

Yep sounds like you need a newer one!

It was only two of us. But took some to work for sandwiches etc. Made some soup with some and put some in the freezer. The Brisket was $27 and I got my moneys worth out of it.

Thank you!

Yep sounds like you need a newer one!

It was only two of us. But took some to work for sandwiches etc. Made some soup with some and put some in the freezer. The Brisket was $27 and I got my moneys worth out of it.

I finally got to see the whole thing James...I never thought a huge brisket like that would shrink so much but it looks outa sight great. I think you left the right amount of fat by the way..fat is flavor, right? :yum:

I finally got to see the whole thing James...I never thought a huge brisket like that would shrink so much but it looks outa sight great. I think you left the right amount of fat by the way..fat is flavor, right? :yum:

They do shrink a lot due to the internal fat that melts during cooking. I am very happy with how the recipe turned out.

The only thing I might do different next time is after removing the onions put it under the broiler to crisp up some of the fat.

The tomato paste along with helping the presentation also added some umami flavor to the dish. I needed something to replace the smoke flavor (but not imitate it) and that is what I came up with.

Like my mother and most New Englanders I had always simmered my brisket. Then one day while on vacation at a friends summer cottage, there was going to be a big crowd for supper. I bought the biggest brisket the store had. She did not have a pan big enough at the cottage for it. So I got the roaster and put it in the oven on 250ºF. in the late morning. So little shrinkage. So much flavor. I will never again put a brisket in water. Next time I will use your recipe with the tomato paste though. Along with the onions. Any idea how brisket cooks in a slow cooker? Can I get the same results as in the oven? :angel:

Like my mother and most New Englanders I had always simmered my brisket. Then one day while on vacation at a friends summer cottage, there was going to be a big crowd for supper. I bought the biggest brisket the store had. She did not have a pan big enough at the cottage for it. So I got the roaster and put it in the oven on 250ºF. in the late morning. So little shrinkage. So much flavor. I will never again put a brisket in water. Next time I will use your recipe with the tomato paste though. Along with the onions. Any idea how brisket cooks in a slow cooker? Can I get the same results as in the oven? :angel:

I am sure a slow cooker would work just as good. The tomato paste and onions really did help and the onions were perfect with the brisket.

Addie, I think you're referring to a corned beef brisket. Not the same thing that powerplant is talking about. I've never heard of boiling a beef brisket, unless it was corned beef.

Speaking of which, several years ago I quit simmering corned beef brisket on the stovetop, and now I either slow roast them in the Nesco or in the oven. I think they're a LOT more flavorful that way than immersing them in water. JMHO.

Last edited:
Addie, I think you're referring to a corned beef brisket. Not the same thing that powerplant is talking about. I've never heard of boiling a beef brisket, unless it was corned beef.

Speaking of which, several years ago I quit simmering corned beef brisket on the stovetop, and now I either slow roast them in the Nesco or in the oven. I think they're a LOT more flavorful that way than immersing them in water. JMHO.

I don't know... Boiled beef is a fairly common dish in New England, as it is in Old England ;) Not my favorite way to prepare it, for sure.

Thanks GG, I didn't know that. I don't imagine that wouldn't be a fave of mine either, especially a spendy cut like brisket. ;) :)

I don't know... Boiled beef is a fairly common dish in New England, as it is in Old England ;) Not my favorite way to prepare it, for sure.

Boiled CORNED BEEF as part of a New England boiled dinner is a fairly common dish. It can be delicious. I'm not aware of any other boiled beef recipes around here.

My Canadian mom would make what she called a New England boiled dinner. I would make myself a peanut butter sandwich. Did not care for NEBD at all. It was far from delicious.

Last edited:
Boiled CORNED BEEF as part of a New England boiled dinner is a fairly common dish. It can be delicious. I'm not aware of any other boiled beef recipes around here.

You're right - it is corned beef. I don't know what I was thinking. Still not one of my favorites ;)

I thought you were referring to another beef dish other than NE corned beef dinner. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom