Tenderizing calf's liver before frying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
My local supermarkets haven't been stocking fresh Foster Farms calf's liver lately. I bought some frozen calf's liver that actually thaws out looking OK. It fries up okay too, but is a little bit chewy in areas. Will soaking it in milk help? BTW, I like my calf's liver really fried to almost black. It seems to tone down the liver taste a little. Smothered in caramelized onions and squeezed mustard on top, of course.

Caslon, no wonder it's chewy if you over cook it. If that's the way you like it, so be it, but it will will never be tender even after a milk soak.
I really enjoy calf liver lightly floured and quickly fried in very hot bacon fat keeping it still barely pink in the middle. You might give it a try, and if you don't like it, it can always go back into the skillet.

Noted Kayelle. The thing I like about frying calve's livers is that they aren't too thick, like cows liver are. That's too much liver taste for me.

Last edited:
All beef liver is sliced Caslon. The thickness and evenness of the slices depends on the skill of the butcher. No machine can slice it. My Dad was a master at it, and when he'd hire a butcher, it depended on how perfectly he could slice beef (or calf) liver.

Last edited:
Caslon, no wonder it's chewy if you over cook it. If that's the way you like it, so be it, but it will will never be tender even after a milk soak.
I really enjoy calf liver lightly floured and quickly fried in very hot bacon fat keeping it still barely pink in the middle. You might give it a try, and if you don't like it, it can always go back into the skillet.

Agree. Frying to medium is enough. Any more and the liver will get tough.
Calves liver is extremely tender to start with. So is beef liver. Both are tender before cooking.
So tender I keep partially frozen to season, flour and put in pan.

The liver we get here is for sure cut mechanically, as its always perfect. Each slice is identical to the others in the pack. Usually 3 or four slices at most per package frozen.
I do see it occasionally in the meat display. But most always sliced and frozen solid.

My local supermarkets haven't been stocking fresh Foster Farms calf's liver lately. I bought some frozen calf's liver that actually thaws out looking OK. It fries up okay too, but is a little bit chewy in areas. Will soaking it in milk help? BTW, I like my calf's liver really fried to almost black. It seems to tone down the liver taste a little. Smothered in caramelized onions and squeezed mustard on top, of course.
I don't eat liver, but yes - it's very tender and you're overcooking it. However, I keep reading that soaking liver in milk makes the flavor somewhat milder. So if reducing the strong flavor is the goal of overcooking it, maybe try soaking it for a few hours before cooking it less and see if that helps.

Agree. Frying to medium is enough. Any more and the liver will get tough.
Calves liver is extremely tender to start with. So is beef liver. Both are tender before cooking.
So tender I keep partially frozen to season, flour and put in pan.

The liver we get here is for sure cut mechanically, as its always perfect. Each slice is identical to the others in the pack. Usually 3 or four slices at most per package frozen.
I do see it occasionally in the meat display. But most always sliced and frozen solid.

Yes, these days I can imagine it's cut mechanically, although I'm sure it must be frozen before it can be done. My memory is of my Dad and his extraordinary mechanical knife skills at his butcher block. Mind pictures are wonderful treasures to be sure, the old rotary fan above his head, the fresh sawdust on the floor, and him in his white apron.

Actually, I haven't cooked liver in a very long time because SC can't stand it. We have a favorite cafe/diner that has it on the menu though and when I order it I always warn the waiter that if it's over cooked I'll be sending it back, and I have.
For me, overcooked liver is like shoe leather on a plate. Now I'm really hungry for it so we may be visiting Hill Street Cafe for dinner tonight.

...., but is a little bit chewy in areas. Will soaking it in milk help? BTW, I like my calf's liver really fried to almost black. It seems to tone down the liver taste a little.

Cas, it is the soaking in milk is what tones down the strong taste. NOT the overcooking it, which, as previously mentioned only toughens it.

so try it and let us know how it goes... :chef:

(I heard buttermilk was fabulous for this soaking)

When I was 15, I worked with a butcher in a grocery store. He asked me if I knew how to determine what is a good piece of beef liver. I answered no. He took a slice he had just cut and threw it up so the flat part hit the ceiling and stuck. He said if the slice stays stuck for 5 minutes, it is a good piece of liver.:ohmy:

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

but make sure it doesn't get stuck on the spaghetti you threw up there yesterday.

Tomorrow throw up an egg and when it all finally comes down you will have

.... delivered spaghetti carbonara.

Here's how I make my liver & onions and it comes out just the way my father likes it, and he's been eating liver and onions for most of his 94 years:

1. Soak the liver in either milk or buttermilk for anywhere from 1 and 4 hours. This takes the gamey flavor out of the liver.

2. Saute sliced brown onions in 4 Tbs of light olive oil to infuse the oil. Remove onions from pan (I can't eat onions. They give me agita!)

3. Remove liver from milk and pat dry with paper towels. Dredge liver slices in seasoned flour.

4. Saute liver slices in the onion infused oil until just cooked through. Plate the liver and distribute the fried onions evenly over the liver slices.

5. Serve with southern style beans and greens.

Last edited:
Here's how I make my liver & onions and it comes out just the way my father likes it, and he's been eating liver and onions for most of his 94 years:

1. Soak the liver in either milk or buttermilk for anywhere from 1 and 4 hours. This takes the gamey flavor out of the liver.

2. Saute sliced brown onions in 4 Tbs of light olive oil to infuse the oil. Remove onions from pan (I can't eat onions. They give me agita!)

3. Remove liver from milk and pat dry with paper towels. Dredge liver slices in seasoned flour.

4. Saute liver slices in the onion infused oil until just cooked through. Plate the liver and distribute the fried onions evenly over the liver slices.

You can send the onions to me. One time I sautéed five pounds of onions in olive oil and ate the whole thing.

Yes, these days I can imagine it's cut mechanically, although I'm sure it must be frozen before it can be done. My memory is of my Dad and his extraordinary mechanical knife skills at his butcher block. Mind pictures are wonderful treasures to be sure, the old rotary fan above his head, the fresh sawdust on the floor, and him in his white apron.

Yes, I'm certain it's cut frozen. The slices are too perfect. And when you thaw them out, they easily fall apart. Especially calves liver.
That's why I thaw them only enough to separate them. Then season, flour and fry as you do. In bacon grease with fried onions.
I am now starving for some liver and onions! :yum:

I like mashed potato's and green beans.
Oh.....Prilosec or Nexium with allow you to eat all the onions you want.
It allows me to eat anything I want.

You can send the onions to me. One time I sautéed five pounds of onions in olive oil and ate the whole thing.

I love onions. Raw or cooked. LOVE them!

Don't forget the bacon with those onions!! Bacon with liver is mandatory for me.

When my kids were growing up, they wouldn't eat liver, probably because their Dad wouldn't. I cooked it anyway and would do three cube steaks for them instead of the liver for me. After several times, my kids were curious and gave a bite of liver a try. Now they both love liver as adults, although I never converted their Dad.

Last edited:
Oh.....Prilosec or Nexium with allow you to eat all the onions you want.

No way Jose. I take one 15mg Prevacid capsule every day and I still can't eat onions. If I eat something with onions for lunch, I sleep sitting up in my recliner that night.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom