Testing for "done-ness?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moondog

Assistant Cook
Hello everybody! I'm a new member. My name is Sam and I'm 15. :)

Well, I have a not-so-great diet that really only consists of meat and bread. I believe the last time I have had something other than meat or bread was a potato maybe two months ago. It seems like I can always get whatever I'm cooking on medium.

I have started to cook more for other people as well. Really being the family and friends. Alot of them want whatever I'm cooking in something other than medium.

My question is, without a meat thermometer, how can I test the level of doneness? My mom was talking about this a while back but she could not remember what it was at the time. She was saying it was something about your palm. If it feels like some area of your palm, it is this level of doneness. If anybody knows this, I would love to know what it is. A picture/diagram would help. :)

Well, let me know how you can test level of doneness without a thermometer.

Thanks!

Hi Sam

If you're talking about steak/fillets cooked in the skillet (we call it a fry pan here in Australia), then the rule is to cook it on medium/high temperature for 3 minutes one side, turn it once and cook 3 minutes on the other side. Remove it and let it rest for med/rare, or if you want it more done you turn the heat down and return it to the pan for 1 minute more each side for medium and I think it's 2 minutes more each side for well done. I find it too tough if it's more than medium rare, that's why I'm a bit foggy on exactly how much longer to leave it for well done.

I never use a thermometer when cooking like the above, but if I stick to the 3 minutes each side I always get it right. If the meat was particularly thick it could possibly take longer, but I've never cooked a really thick piece so I don't know.

Hey Moondog.
I know what you're talking about, just don't remember it exactly. Something about pressing a finger into your palm and the way it springs back is the way your meat should spring back when you press on it. Closer to the the base of your thumb is the way rare meat should react? While more towards your actual palm means it is more well done if that is how it springs back?
Someone will know.
Or there's probably a youtube vid on it (lol).

Tried and true, NEVER fails:

Preheat your oven to 425 (Note: Not all ovens are accurate - get a good oven thermometer and calibrate your oven before using this hint. To calibrate, remove the temp knob. On the back of it is a screw and a movable metal pointer of some sort. If the oven is too low, move the pointer to the "+" side, opposite for too high. Try the temperature again, and repeat until it is right.)

Now then - - based on a thick steak, 1 1/2" - 2" - in a heavy, oven proof pan over medium high heat, sear the steak(s) in light film of oil for five minutes. Turn the meat and place the pan in the oven. Roast as follows:
Rare 5 minutes
Medium-Rare 7 minutes
Medium 9 minutes
Medium-Well 11 minutes

Remove the pan from the oven and let the meat REST for 5 minutes before serving. Don't forget to turn on the vent fan first! The Palm of Your Hand method is a very rough way of estimating doneness and to some extent depends on how muscular your hand is. I wouldn't recommend it.

Oh! And welcome to the group.

The palm method is:
first finger to the base of the thumb is what Rare feels like
second finger for medium rare
ring finger for medium

Remember, it's the finger and base of thumb on the same hand, Not one hand feeling the other.

The palm method is:
first finger to the base of the thumb is what Rare feels like
second finger for medium rare
ring finger for medium

Remember, it's the finger and base of thumb on the same hand, Not one hand feeling the other.

Ahhh, I didn't know that, but I did know somebody here would know :)

Now that just didn't make sense to me!

My test is one hand making a fist - other hand with "Pointer finger" pressing on the top of the web between thumb and pointer finger

fist hand loose - feel between thumb and first finger - rare
slight tightening medium rare
strong fist - done
anything further ruined

finger-test.jpg

There are two basic methods to test for how done your meat is while you are cooking it - use a meat thermometer, or press on the meat with your finger tips. The problem with the meat thermometer approach is that when you poke a hole into the meat with a thermometer, it can let juices escape, juices that you would rather have stay in the meat. For this reason, most experienced cooks rely on a "finger test" method, especially on steaks (whole roasts are better tested with a thermometer). My mother has been trying to get me to test meat with my finger tips for years, and for years, being somewhat of a scaredy cat (won't it burn my fingers?) I ignored, avoided, ran away from the idea. Then my friend David showed me up. Here's a guy who loves to grill but doesn't know how to boil water. (Really. Cannot boil water. Just ask him, he's proud of the fact.) David taught me how to test for the doneness of meat using this method and these days half the time I don't even bother with a thermometer. Now the point of this story is not to embarrass David (though that would be fun, if it were even possible) but to encourage you, if like me, you've been shying away from trying this approach. This really isn't rocket science.

This is one of those things that gets easier with practice. The next time you cook a steak, even if you are still planning to rely on a meat thermometer, press on the meat here and there while it cooks, and compare the feeling of the meat with the following finger test. With practice, you will become more confident.

ALL FOUND HERE

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/007259the_finger_test_to_check_the_doneness_of_meat.php

Last edited:
finger-test.jpg

There are two basic methods to test for how done your meat is while you are cooking it - use a meat thermometer, or press on the meat with your finger tips. The problem with the meat thermometer approach is that when you poke a hole into the meat with a thermometer, it can let juices escape, juices that you would rather have stay in the meat. For this reason, most experienced cooks rely on a "finger test" method, especially on steaks (whole roasts are better tested with a thermometer). My mother has been trying to get me to test meat with my finger tips for years, and for years, being somewhat of a scaredy cat (won't it burn my fingers?) I ignored, avoided, ran away from the idea. Then my friend David showed me up. Here's a guy who loves to grill but doesn't know how to boil water. (Really. Cannot boil water. Just ask him, he's proud of the fact.) David taught me how to test for the doneness of meat using this method and these days half the time I don't even bother with a thermometer. Now the point of this story is not to embarrass David (though that would be fun, if it were even possible) but to encourage you, if like me, you've been shying away from trying this approach. This really isn't rocket science.

This is one of those things that gets easier with practice. The next time you cook a steak, even if you are still planning to rely on a meat thermometer, press on the meat here and there while it cooks, and compare the feeling of the meat with the following finger test. With practice, you will become more confident.

ALL FOUND HERE
This one sounds great as well as the others mentioned. This does sound like one I would use most often. I find it to be one of those things though where you have to continuously go back and forth between the meat and your hands because by the time your finger touches the meat, you have already forgotten where it should be at!

Haha!

Well, another question I have that I think can go on this same thread-

While I test for done-ness by hand, how can I tell if the meat is say medium, or just really tender? This is a question just to know since I really have maybe had four tender steaks out of the hundreds I have cooked in my time cooking. Is there a way to tell the difference between doneness and tenderness? An example, say you had a really tender steak. If it is tender, wouldn't it feel the same as it should if it was medium if it was really well done? Does my question make sense?

Moondoggie: You're going to get a bunch of opinions on that last question. Tenderness depends on:
1. marbleing
2. aging ( and type of aging)
3. obviously, the grade of the cut

I was going to say you can't tell tenderness on the grill, but I cooked a Prime filet tonight on the grill and it squished like it was still blood rare when it actually was medium. (no, I don't like rare, never have). Sooooooooooooooo - maybe it depends on your butcher? If you want to get really technical about percentage of fat to muscle, % of moisture and other variables I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself may be able to answer your question.

Here in so cal most of the grocery store meat is "select" grade, right next to dog food grade, if you ask me. Even some of their "choice" leaves a lot to be desired. We get most of our meat from Costco and a little shop I know in Omaha. It's called Just Good Meat, and they ship cyropak.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom