Texas Beef Barbeque #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Texas Beef Barbeque #2

6 lb Beef brisket
3 Bay leaves
2 qt Bone stock
Salt and pepper

Put the bay leaves in a about a cup of water and bring to a boil. Let it simmer 10 minutes or so, then remove the leaves and add the bay tea to the bone stock, along with the salt and pepper. Put the brisket in your Dutch Oven and add the stock mixture to cover it about a quarter of the way. Cover and cook over the fire, turning the brisket about every half hour until it's nearly done. This can be determined by forking. Mop it and lay it on the grill to finish cooking, being sure to turn it and mop it every 20 minutes or so. To make a good natural gravy, add a little Worcestershire Sauce and maybe a dash of chili powder to the liquid you cooked the brisket in. You can also serve this with barbecue sauce.

Most of the brisket down here is dry-rubbed with a load of spices, and I don't know of anyone that mops it with a bay leaf mixture.

That looks pretty tasty though.

And they probably don't cook them in a dutch oven either, Ron.

Nope, they sure don't... not that I've seen yet.

It's usually in a smoker or smoke pit... and oh is it delicious. If y'all ever get to Austin, you have to try Rudy's Extra Moist brisket. To die for... My wife's mom prefers veggies and rarely eats meat and after having a taste of Rudy's she said "I'd eat that pretty regularly if I lived here". :-p

I've done a chuck roast in a dutch oven (inside my electric oven at home) at 200 degrees for about 4 hours before... It came out wonderful. I've never heard of anyone here in Texas doing brisket in one... but like I said, it looks tasty. :mrgreen:

Yep,we smoke briskets all the time. Briskets are my least favorite.

Had brisket from Salt Lick while on layover in Austin.

Wanted to see what Texas brisket was like. It wasn't any different from what we cook.

Rainee said:
Had brisket from Salt Lick while on layover in Austin.

Wanted to see what Texas brisket was like. It wasn't any different from what we cook.

The Salt Lick at the airport is not exactly good eatin'... :angel:

The original Salt Lick out in Driftwood, TX, is much better than the stuff they call 'brisket' at the airport here. Although, it's not my favorite BBQ joint in town. Not by a long shot.

Everyone here rants and raves about The Salt Lick almost like they invented BBQ or something, but I'd rather have Rudy's anyday.

Back
Top Bottom