The Hubby's Bunless Mushroom Burger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple.alien.giraffe

Executive Chef
The hubby made this for us for dinner the other night and it was so good!

Serves 2

1/2 lb lean ground beef
2 portabella caps with about a 3 to 4 inch diameter
1/2 tsp granulated garlic (fresh minced garlic may be substituted)
1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
2 tblsp minced onion
2 slices swiss cheese
2 slices ripe tomato
Several leaves butter lettuce (also called boston lettuce)
2 tsp A1 (or whichever you prefer) steak sauce

Mix together the ground beef, pepper, garlic and onion. Split in half and form into two patties. Fry or grill to desired doneness (he did ours to medium well). Sprinkle patties with just a tiny bit of salt if desired.

Fry or grill the mushroom caps until done. Place on plates, gills up. Spread 1 tsp of the steak sauce onto each mushroom cap. Top each with a slice of swiss, a couple lettuce leaves, and then a burger. Place the tomato on top and stick a toothpick through it all. Serve along side sweet potato fries and mixed berry mash over angel food cake. A nice herbal peach iced tea goes well with it too.

Also, I recommend eating the burgers with a knife and fork. If you decide to try picking them up and eating them please post pictures. I'm sure someone will need a good laugh.

P.A.G. Good thing you added Mushroom burger...but I did laugh when I saw "Hubby's bunless..." (TMI! TMI!) Dare I say this looks good. I eat my burgers either on just 1/2 a bun or without. Have you tried adding parm. to the mushroom caps when grilling? One of my favorites...

CWS4322 said:
P.A.G. Good thing you added Mushroom burger...but I did laugh when I saw "Hubby's bunless..." (TMI! TMI!) Dare I say this looks good. I eat my burgers either on just 1/2 a bun or without. Have you tried adding parm. to the mushroom caps when grilling? One of my favorites...

Lol! Yes, that would be tmi.

I haven't tried the parm but that sounds awesome!

I always scrape out the gills (a spoon works) and mix that back in with the parm and sprinkle that on...

I have grapefruit spoons. They have a sawed-tooth tip. Perfect for scraping out those gills. And a lot of other uses in the kitchen. Oh yeah. They are good for using on grapefruits also. :chef:

I have grapefruit spoons. They have a sawed-tooth tip. Perfect for scraping out those gills. And a lot of other uses in the kitchen. Oh yeah. They are good for using on grapefruits also. :chef:
I have grapefruit spoons, too--never thought of using them for mushrooms. I do use them for hulling strawberries. Thanks, Addie!

Sounds wonderful. I'll be making this for myself when dh decides to have sausage (yuk)
kades

CWS4322 said:
I have grapefruit spoons, too--never thought of using them for mushrooms. I do use them for hulling strawberries. Thanks, Addie!

In the household tips forum, there is a tip for hulling strawberries by poking a straw through the bottom to push the core out, so i decided to try it, since I had quite a few strawberries to clean. What do you know, not a straw to be found in the house!!

Back
Top Bottom