The Perfect Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arky

Senior Cook
I would be interested in seeing how some of you make - what you consider to be - a perfect steak.

Personally, I use a cast iron skillet and the 4-3s method: skillet heat on high and 3 minutes on one side (don't touch!), 3 minutes on the other side, 3 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees, and finish with a 3 minute rest.

I know, many of you are going to say grilling is the best method - and I agree, but when it's raining or snow covers my grill and my mouth is watering for a tender rib eye...

Please, add your favorite grilling method as well - I can always learn.

I get a nice thick ribeye. I coat both sides liberally with kosher salt and wrap the steak tightly in plastic wrap and put it back in the fridge. I let it sit for 24 hours, but sometimes I do not plan that far ahead so if it is less time that is OK, but 24ish hours is ideal. This is known as dry brining. What happens is initially the salt draws moisture out, but after some time the moisture mixes with the salt which it dissolves and then it is drawn back into the steak. This seasons your meat from the inside out.

I get my grill as hot as it can get and when I am ready to cook I oil the grates and grill on the first side for a few minutes, not touching it. When the bottom has a nice crust I flip it over and cook until med-rare. I test for doneness by pressing on the meat with my finger. After a while you can tell what the different stages of doneness feel like. It takes a little practice and some overcooked steaks, but it is a very good skill to have.

I put the steak off the heat and put on a plate while I get the table ready. This gives the meat a chance to rest for a few minutes. Then I dig in without putting anything on other than occasionally a bit of fresh ground pepper.

The perfect steak, to me, is created as follows:

Get invited to friend's house for grilled steaks.
Stop at store, buy 6 pack.
Arrive at friend's, help create the flavored butter.
Drink beer, watch him grill, offer helpful suggestions.

Eat steak, thank friend, watch HIM do dishes.

that's a perfect steak.

I'm with GB on this one, though I've never tried the "dry brine" method. I'll have to give this one a try.

Even without the sound it certainly looks interesting - particularly the flambe!!! (grin!)

I think I will try one of each and do my own taste test. Thanks for the methods. Our son in law insists on taking over the grill when he is here since dh has a tendency to overcook everything.

I'm glad you guys noticed that. They didn't even notify me. I've got a new version uploading with some of my own music to replace the (25 second snippet) they got their panties in a wad over...

I preheat the cast iron in the oven to 400deg F. Close all the internal doors, open the windows, unplug the smoke detector and turn on the ceiling fan. Turn my high output burner on high, remove the cast iron from the oven and sear the steak for about two minutes per side. Transfer to the oven and cook until about 125deg F. Remove from oven, transfer to platter, tent with foil and rest.

I've never tried broiling steak. What's the best way to do that?

Steak

I'm with GB on this one, though I've never tried the "dry brine" method. I'll have to give this one a try.

John, I'm with you on this one!
This is just the way I do my RibEye. But like you I haven't did the Dry Brine... Maybe next time. I'll tske GB's word that the salt won't draw out all the moisture.

I do sneak a pat of butter on, when it comes off the grill.

Mine never has a chance to REST!
Maybe long enough for me to butter my ear of Corn.

Hungry

MC!! I LMAO!! That was great! Play D&D by chance or just like flails?
That was one honkin big filet! Saw this in the morn and made me hungry!

MC!! I LMAO!! That was great! Play D&D by chance or just like flails?
That was one honkin big filet! Saw this in the morn and made me hungry!

That morning star is a real-deal 17th century number my wife has owned for some time. We do love exotic old hand weapons in this house, though. I have all kinds of strange knives and what-not lying about and/or hanging on the walls.

I pity the person who tries to rob our house while we're home....

My hubs noticed it first thing when we saw your vid. Imagine that, and he's a foodie too!! Did you have to split the steak 3 ways or was it all yours?

My hubs noticed it first thing when we saw your vid. Imagine that, and he's a foodie too!! Did you have to split the steak 3 ways or was it all yours?

Actually, by the time that last one was shot, my wife and son were literally sick of this dish, because we had taken so much footage of it for the prior week and a half, and had made it probably 5 times in that period, that I got that one all to myself. :LOL:

And, unlike them, I could never get sick of USDA Prime Beef Tenderloin!!!! :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom