Thin cut top round beef steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
I have some in my freezer that I want to use. I don't really know how they are typically used though. Any great recipes you want to recommend?

My most favorite recipe from my Dad is what he called Steak Rolladeens..

He always had a "Poor Man's Steak" afterwards... the gravy over sliced bread. I do too. Don't knock the pickle till you've tried it!

Thin sliced round steak (usually called breakfast steaks) You will need 1 or 2 per person. Steaks should be about 4 inches wide and 5 to 7 long. They need to be long enough to roll up with a pickle inside!

1 large onion, minced
Garlic powder
Lemon pepper
Worcheshire Sauce
Bacon strips (can be raw, partially cooked or cooked and crumbled)
Dill pickles, halved
Toothpicks or kitchen twine
2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup

First, marinate steaks in pickle juice, garlic powder, Worchestershire sauce, onion powder, pepper and a bit of water if needed. Allow to soak for at least 1-4 hours.

Assembly:
Lay a steak flat and sprinkle with garlic and lemon pepper.
Dribble chopped onions along the length. Lay a strip of bacon lengthwise, or sprinkle cooked bacon liberally.
Place a pickle slice at one end and roll up. Secure with 1/2 of a toothpick at each end. Push toothpick into pickle to ensure a good hold. (Be sure to warn about the toothpicks or remove before serving.)
You could also tie up with kitchen twine.
Brown rolled up steaks. They do not need to be cooked through. Good on the grill, too! Set aside.
Brown leftover onion and 1/2 chopped pickle.
Add steaks, cover with soup (add 1/4 cup milk, water or wine to dilute a bit). Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
Excellent with mashed potatoes; the soup makes a superb gravy!

Braciole

Thin sliced beef top round steak (sometimes labled - for Braciole)

Filling:
Fresh garlic - minced fine
Onion - minced fine
Fresh basil - chopped fine
Fresh oregano - chopped fine
Fresh parsley - chopped fine
Ground hot pepper flakes
Salt
Ground black pepper
Bread crumbs
Grated Romano and Parmesan cheeses
Butchers twine
Canola oil

In bowl; mix all above filling ingredients to taste (amounts depend on how many steaks you have). Add just enough olive oil to hold filling together. (I give it a taste and correct seasoning if necessary.)

Place steak slice between plastic wrap (wet slightly with water on both sides) and pound with flat side of mallet or with a heavy frying pan till very thin, making sure not to tear. Place filling on steak stopping about an inch from the end that is away from you. Roll steak jelly roll style to the end. Secure the roll with pieces of butchers twine 1 inch apart from end to end. In heavy frying pan heat oil. Brown rolls on all sides. Remove and drain. Simmer in tomato sauce for about 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Serve with a pasta dish or by themselves.

Back
Top Bottom