This steak is too darned big!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem is that not all steaks can be cut into two almost identical parts. For example a rib eye or t-bone steak. I have plenty of things I can cook for friends and family that allow identical servings. Or even to order like stir fries, meatloaf, tacos, lasagne.

Question for everybody:

What is the ideal amount for a serving of steak? (boneless)

I think I'd vote for 8-10 oz. although nutritionists would probably say 6 oz.
At home, 12 - 14 ounces, one or two times a month; in a restaurant 18 ounces once or twice a year.

I order my steak from Omaha Steaks, where you can get ribeyes anywhere from 6oz boneless to 16oz bone-in. It's aged, grain fed beef and guaranteed to be better than anything you'll find at a big box store or a supermarket. I have been ordering from them for years and it's worth every penny you pay for it. If I got anything I didn't like, for any reason, they immediately charged back the cost, including shipping, to my credit card without argument.

Oh, and each steak is vacuum sealed and flash frozen so portion control is no problem and you can cook as few or as many as you wish.

Last edited:
I order my steak from Omaha Steaks, where you can get ribeyes anywhere from 6oz boneless to 16oz bone-in. It's aged, grain fed beef and guaranteed to be better than anything you'll find at a big box store or a supermarket. I have been ordering from them for years and it's worth every penny you pay for it...

Oh, and each steak is vacuum sealed and flash frozen so portion control is no problem and you can cook as few or as many as you wish.

I'm definitely going to try them! I've heard good things about them from other people. I really like that you can get them IQF and in precise sizes.

I don't know what restaurants do but places I've been to frequently always seem to serve the same size every time. I think the good ones get better grade than you see in stores too.

We got a huge whole boneless ribeye on sale, and while it frightened me, I went into the fray. I whacked it up into steaks and made them purty by cutting off the extraneous fat and meaty bits. Will grind the meaty bits into burger. Was going to save the fat, but DH insisted we had no room in the freezer for it, so out it went. I was able to make the thing into nice looking steaks, all about 1.5 to 2 inches thick, and of a size a normal person can eat.

We got a huge whole boneless ribeye on sale, and while it frightened me, I went into the fray. I whacked it up into steaks and made them purty by cutting off the extraneous fat and meaty bits. Will grind the meaty bits into burger. Was going to save the fat, but DH insisted we had no room in the freezer for it, so out it went. I was able to make the thing into nice looking steaks, all about 1.5 to 2 inches thick, and of a size a normal person can eat.

Yeah, the store gets the same price per pound for the extraneous fat and meaty bits. It's nice you can use them for something productive.

That's my kind of thickness for steak! What typical weight per steak are you getting?

Greg Who Cooks said:
Yeah, the store gets the same price per pound for the extraneous fat and meaty bits. It's nice you can use them for something productive.

That's my kind of thickness for steak! What typical weight per steak are you getting?

Tonight's steaks are around 6 to 8 oz. I vac packed the rest, all around the same size, and froze them. And the meaty bits!

The coals are almost ready, these should be good.

That's pretty good! I would be very pleased with that result!

Very nice size. Enough to enjoy the steak but not so much that you feel guilty about eating too much red meat. I think nutritionists are still recommending people should eat less red meat.

Last edited:
When my son goes up to Hilltop on Route 1, he gets me a Porterhouse, bone in. I usually divide it. One side in the NY strip. That is the smaller side and the one I cook first. I leave the bone on the other side, and when I cook that I do so with the bone. More flavor. Unfortunately, the steaks from there are also enormous. I am lucky if I can finish the NY strip. He will be going there again this coming week. I have instructed him to find the smallest one in the case. If they are all too big, then ask the butcher to cut a smaller one. Porterhouse is on sale this week. $5.99 a pound. :yum:

When my son goes up to Hilltop on Route 1, he gets me a Porterhouse, bone in. I usually divide it. One side in the NY strip. That is the smaller side and the one I cook first. I leave the bone on the other side, and when I cook that I do so with the bone. More flavor. Unfortunately, the steaks from there are also enormous. I am lucky if I can finish the NY strip. He will be going there again this coming week. I have instructed him to find the smallest one in the case. If they are all too big, then ask the butcher to cut a smaller one. Porterhouse is on sale this week. $5.99 a pound. :yum:
I thought the smaller side of a porterhouse steak was the filet and that the big side was the strip or boneless rib.

I thought the smaller side of a porterhouse steak was the filet and that the big side was the strip or boneless rib.

Small Side=Tenderloin (Filet Mignon); Larger Side=Sirloin Strip (NY Strip); In Between=Bone (Skeleton).

I live alone and grill outdoors often. I love a good, thick, bone-in ribeye steak now and then, rare to medium rare. I can't finish a whole one in one meal, so the rest of it gets sliced and gently reheated the next morning for steak and eggs. :) Takes a bit of planning, as I'm not going to grill one of those beauties unless I'm sure I can finish it off the next morning. :yum:

I live alone and grill outdoors often. I love a good, thick, bone-in ribeye steak now and then, rare to medium rare. I can't finish a whole one in one meal, so the rest of it gets sliced and gently reheated the next morning for steak and eggs. :) Takes a bit of planning, as I'm not going to grill one of those beauties unless I'm sure I can finish it off the next morning. :yum:

I like to use the leftover for cold steak the next day for my lunch at work. Not everyday I get steak in my Bento Box.

Small Side=Tenderloin (Filet Mignon); Larger Side=Sirloin Strip (NY Strip); In Between=Bone (Skeleton).

When we go to our favorite steakhouse, I sometimes order a T-bone or Porterhouse (the latter are huge), or when we cook out, a porterhouse. My husband loves the filet, which I couldn't care less about (still have my teeth and like to chew my meat! Plus I love the fat edge when it's cooked at a restaurant because it gets crispier than I can do at home), and I take the strip. I usually cannot finish the strip, and take it home (if eating out) for the aforementioned steak-and-eggs breakfast or, in the case of the gigantic porterhouse, a full dinner.

That is a great idea Cheryl, no wastage either :)

gregorys.jpg

Back
Top Bottom