Top Round Roast, What can I make?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
As most of the regulars here know, I am horrible with knowing what I can make with certain cuts of meat (I swear I will learn this better one day). I got a great deal on a 3.25 lb Top Round Roast the other day, but I have no idea what I can make with it. Who wants to be the first to suggests a yummy recipe of me?

TIA!

I got a deal on one of those last week -
I just put my roast into my big giant roaster, along with 2 cans of campbell's double strength beef broth, 1 onion, sliced thinly, and some of my favorite seasonings (no salt, though, as the broth covers that and then some!)
I slow cooked it many hours, and later on, fork shredded it for some awesome beef dip sandwiches on toasted french rolls.
(I've also put other goodies in the mix, like pepperoncinis, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc)

Put it into a crockpot with cream of mushroom soup, 1 pkt onion soup mix [dried stuff] 1 onion sliced, bunch of mushrooms sliced, cover and cook for 6-8 hours. Serve over buttered egg noodles or smashed garlic potatoes.

Here is a recipe that I used for shredded beef. I don't see why you cannot substitute a top round roast. You may have to reduce the cooking time since your cut is a little smaller. :)

Spicy Shredded Beef Burritos

Yield: 10-12 servings

Ingredients:

4-1/2 pound bone-in chuck roast
7 ounce can diced green chiles
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounce can tomatoes
Salt and cayenne pepper to taste

Procedure:

Place chuck roast on a sheet of aluminum foil, approximately 12 inches x 25 inches. Mix together green chilies, chili powder, oregano and minced garlic.

Spread this mixture on the roast and seal the foil all around.

Place in a roaster and bake at 300 degrees F. for 4 to 4-1/2 hours. The roast should be very tender and fall apart. Discard the bone and fat.

Transfer the drippings to a large pan and stir in the canned tomatoes and shredded beef.

Mix well and heat through. Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste.

Serve on flour tortillas topped with your choice of condiments, including tomatoes, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, etc.

Thanks Andy. I saw that post, but was not sure if this cut would work. Now I know :)

Back
Top Bottom