URGENT! Prime rib help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kookiblob

Assistant Cook
Hi, yes I know it's technically not called prime rib but you know what I mean, but anyway, I havea 5.47 lb piece of this, and how long do you think wouild it take to become room temp? I bought it from wegmans butchery place where it was displayed..how many hours?:angel:

Hi, yes I know it's technically not called prime rib but you know what I mean, but anyway, I havea 5.47 lb piece of this, and how long do you think wouild it take to become room temp? I bought it from wegmans butchery place where it was displayed..how many hours?:angel:

Lost me. Is it a prime rib or isn't it? Why would I know? :huh:

At any rate, I had a small prime rib roast, not even 3 lbs, and it took about six hours on the kitchen counter just to get it from refrigerator temp into the mid-sixties.

Lost me. Is it a prime rib or isn't it? Why would I know? :huh:

At any rate, I had a small prime rib roast, not even 3 lbs, and it took about six hours on the kitchen counter just to get it from refrigerator temp into the mid-sixties.

For many, "Prime rib" is the name for standing rib roast.. it's a very popular term..
EDIT: To quicken the process of bringing the meat to temperature, would it help if I double bagged it in glad zip lock bags, squeeze out excess air, and put it in warm (not boiling)water?

Last edited:
Yes, very popular. A standing rib roast is prime rib. Like a delmonico steak is a ribeye... is prime rib, lol. I didn't know you meant standing rib roast either. Not unless you mentioned it in another thread.

Can't help you on the water bath. I've never done that with meat, and certainly not thick meat, or a roast.

kookiblob, skip the water bath.

pacanis, the standing rib roast is a prime rib only if its prime grade. If it's choice grade, you can't call it prime rib...

For many, "Prime rib" is the name for standing rib roast.. it's a very popular term..
EDIT: To quicken the process of bringing the meat to temperature, would it help if I double bagged it in glad zip lock bags, squeeze out excess air, and put it in warm (not boiling)water?

Personally, I would not do that. I would prefer to insert the probe and put it into the preheated oven sooner rather than to try to raise the temp artificially. Your probe will tell you when you've achieved the optimum temp you're after.

kookiblob, skip the water bath.

pacanis, the standing rib roast is a prime rib only if its prime grade. If it's choice grade, you can't call it prime rib...

For what it's worth :)

"A colloquial and popular term for this cut is "prime rib". Historically, this name stands out regardless of the grade. In addition, the USDA acknowledges this historical note by not requiring the cut "to be derived from USDA prime grade beef".[1]"

Standing rib roast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FYI to people, the recipe was using foodwishes method x (you MUST bring the rib to room temp before roasting), so I couldn't skip that out by compensating with oven temp.. plus the water bath worked!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom