Use a patty press for hamburgers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
I've wanted a patty press for a while and finally bought one last week for a buck on sale at a local store -- just one of the plastic ones.

I used it for the first time tonight on some burgers, and they came out great. They cooked very uniformly and stayed together. I put some EVOO, Old Bay Seasoning, salt/pepper, garlic inside the beef, mixed it up by hand, and pressed them down hard into the press. I cooked them in the cast iron skillet.

They definitely came out better than my normal burgers.

One of those are on my list. I put a pat of butter in the middle of mine. But I have to make sure the sides are closed really good. I want the melted butter to stay inside. I also add seasoning that has been mixed into the meat.

I use my tortilla press for that, and a plastic bag with the sides cut to help it release more easily.

That would work too, but you wouldn't get the nice even edge with the burger press.

I also like to use it for chubs of Jimmy Dean Sausage. Just slice it into four slices for perfect no fuss sausage patties with breakfast.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they make them for a double burger? Instead of enough meat for one, we like them nice and thick. So I always double the amount of meat.

I had a press many many moons ago. don't really know what happened to it over the years. If I remember correctly there were several reasons it fell out of favour.

I never seemed to get the individual quantities even - now of course, I would use an ice cream scoop or actually measure them with an individual cup.

Seemed time consuming when you were making them for a meal right then - much faster to make patties and throw on to cook iinstead of measure, pack, press, unmold.

Was really only handy if you were making stacks for the freezer - which in the day was a rarity for me.

I might reconsider now.. but as mentioned - another piece of equipment to store for something that would rarely be used. If I had a household full, probably.

I use a large mouth canning jar lid. I got to the point that I needed another gadget drawer and said no more gadgets. I use them also for frying eggs. just oil them up good and works like a charm.

When we have burgers, I make a ⅓ Lb. burger for SO. She likes hers thinner. I make a half pound burger for myself. A patty press wouldn't work for me.

I've never owned a patty press but if I had one I'd probably use it than not.

I use my hands to form, or I use a saucer, inverted, to press patties if I'm looking for uniformity and doing many.

I usually "free hand" but when making a Juicy Lucy, the mold works great. I also use it for giant ice cream cookie sandwiches, but not very often.

I use a large mouth canning jar lid. I got to the point that I needed another gadget drawer and said no more gadgets. I use them also for frying eggs. just oil them up good and works like a charm.

I do the same thing but, before pressing the ground meat into the lid, I put a piece of plastic wrap down. After the patty is formed, I simply lift it out of the lid and set it aside to cook or freeze. I return the plastic wrap to use again for as many patties as it stands up to. No mess. Quick and the lid goes into the dishwasher.

I use a Vollrath #8 4oz disher to portion the meat and then form it by hand.

The lunch lady's friend! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
576723.jpg

Z

Aha! Just what I had in mind. Marked!

Sorry ms.mofet. I just couldn't wait. I was placing an order with Jet and sure enough they had that particular press. So it should be here tomorrow. Thanks for the lead.

Back
Top Bottom