What are your favorite caul fat recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSoups

Assistant Cook
While watching Iron Chef last night one of the cooks wrapped chicken in caul fat. I had never heard of it and AB didn't explain it so this prompted me to look it up. It sounds really interesting and like it could really help bring some dishes to the next level. Does anybody here have experience with it? How do you use it?

While watching Iron Chef last night one of the cooks wrapped chicken in caul fat. I had never heard of it and AB didn't explain it so this prompted me to look it up. It sounds really interesting and like it could really help bring some dishes to the next level. Does anybody here have experience with it? How do you use it?

We have never used it, simply because we have never been able to find it locally.:(

According to internet resources any whole animal butcher should be able to give you some - I just had a new butcher open not to far from me so I'm going to try asking there. Short of that, you can buy 10lbs of pork caul for $112 on amazon :ROFLMAO:

According to internet resources any whole animal butcher should be able to give you some - I just had a new butcher open not to far from me so I'm going to try asking there. Short of that, you can buy 10lbs of pork caul for $112 on amazon :ROFLMAO:

In bulk too! Wow!:wacko: I'd rather buy a bushel of blue crab, males only please, no paper shells. On the other hand maybe some soft-shells!:yum:

I've never used it either. I do remember seeing a show where someone (Jacques Pepin maybe?) wrapped a pork tenderloin in caul fat.

Many years ago, when I was learning to cook more than just New England fare, I was using the original JOC. It was my husband's. There was a recipe in it for a Sunday Dinner Roast Beef. It called for to wrap the roast in caul. My husband told me that it was used to create and keep moisture in the meat. Then he explained to me in detail where it came from. He told me that you can use one from almost any farm animal. They would be the most readily available from a butcher. The pork one has the most fat.

It sounded like a lot of work to me, so I never gave it another thought until I would see other chef's on TV using it. But I still haven't used it. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom