What is roast? Have seen several very different directions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherifffruitfly

Senior Cook
... Or at least they look very different to me.

(a) Is roasting supposed to be covered or uncovered?

(b) Is roasting supposed to be done in a liquid, or sans?

I've seen all four possibilities above described at "roasting". Lil help?

I was thinking of asking something similar.
Someone said that laying veggies on a tray and cooking them in the oven is roasting.... well then, what is baking? I need some definitions myself.

Roasting means cooking with dry heat. That is, a large piece of meat (a roast) in an open pan. This method is meant for tender cuts of meat like a standing rib roast or tenderloin roast.

What you are doing in a covered pot with your top round roast, results in a pot roast but it is not roasted, it's braised. Braising is to brown meat over high heat then cook it at a low temperature for a long time in the presence of a liquid in a covered container - wet heat method. This type of cooking is necessary for less tender cuts of meat. The low and slow cooking serves to tenderize the tougher cuts.

When people talk of a pot roast, I believe it refers to the cut of meat rather than the process. Pot roasts are braised.

The technique of roasting is a dry cooking method (not in liquid, that is referred to as braising). Roasting is done in an oven and often the item being roasted is on a rack above the roasting pan. No top. The idea is to get the dry air and radiant heat of the oven to to crisp up the outside of the item, and cook the inside. THis crisping begins at 225 degrees F. Example: a roasted loin of pork. A pork loin with salt and pepper over the outside placed in a very hot oven, say 450-500, As soon as the outside dries out and begins to color, the oven is turned down and the pork is finished.

Baking(dry heat method) is roasting for non-meat items. You bake cakes but roast meats.

Roasting means cooking with dry heat. That is, a large piece of meat (a roast) in an open pan. This method is meant for tender cuts of meat like a standing rib roast or tenderloin roast.

What you are doing in a covered pot with your top round roast, results in a pot roast but it is not roasted, it's braised. Braising is to brown meat over high heat then cook it at a low temperature for a long time in the presence of a liquid in a covered container - wet heat method. This type of cooking is necessary for less tender cuts of meat. The low and slow cooking serves to tenderize the tougher cuts.

When people talk of a pot roast, I believe it refers to the cut of meat rather than the process. Pot roasts are braised.

Ah so. Getting closer to understanding.

So:

(a) My confusion stems from "pot roast" being a misnomer?
(b) And with roasting properly-so-called, the meat is supposed to be in direct contact with the heat source?
(c) What about the first poster's question about the difference between roasting and baking"?

Thanks!

a) yes
b) not exactly. The roasting is done by the circulating hot air in the oven. So direct contact with the hot air. The heat source is the gas or electric heating element.
c) See my answer above

a) yes
b) not exactly. The roasting is done by the circulating hot air in the oven. So direct contact with the hot air. The heat source is the gas or electric heating element.
c) See my answer above

Awesome - thanks!

I'll enjoy my "pot braise" in awhile much more, now that I understand the jargon a bit better.

Baking(dry heat method) is roasting for non-meat items. You bake cakes but roast meats.

So would the more correct term have been baked vegetables? I believe we were discussing putting them on a pan, seasoning them and drizzling with oil. Someone called that roasting.

Also, in regards to the beef, I take it you can braise on top of the stove as well as in the oven?

Let me modify my earlier definition. I would say roasting applies to savory dishes while baked applies to sweets.

You can braise on the stovetop in a heavy pot with a tightly fitting lid - a dutch oven as well as in the oven, using the same pot.

Let me modify my earlier definition. I would say roasting applies to savory dishes while baked applies to sweets.

You can braise on the stovetop in a heavy pot with a tightly fitting lid - a dutch oven as well as in the oven, using the same pot.

lol - fine by me. What exactly does "savory" mean? I never really understood that one either.

I've heard true roasting has to be done on a rotating spit or rotisserie gizmo so whatever your cooking self bastes.
Mostly I think it’s just what we are used to saying.
Baked ham / roast beef.
Baked potato / roasted vegetables.
Baked onion / roasted garlic.

I'm going to stop trying to wing a definition ofbaking vs. roasting.

Savory refers to foods other than desserts. Meats veggies, starches, etc.

Andy, what about baked potatoes? This can get a little confusing. I agree with you that, generally, baking is for sweets and roasting is for savory.

Hit the Food Lover's Companion and they seemed to restrict roasting to meats, baking was any other dry heat cooking as in an oven.

Sounds OK to me, I roast a chicken and bake a pie. If I get confused, well, the cooking lingo police are terribly understaffed, and I am not worried.

To me the terms baking and roasting, whether synonymous or not, do not include cooking stuff in liquid, as the poster questioned.

Then one is stewing or braising. And when one tosses a cover over a piece of meat, there is a bit of steaming.

To me the answer is that not everything tossed into the oven to cook is roasted or baked.

And I roast a roast and bake a cake. But if I get confused linguistically no one seems to care if the stuff tastes good.

That is our take on things. Take care.

Hit the Food Lover's Companion and they seemed to restrict roasting to meats, baking was any other dry heat cooking as in an oven.

Actually, the Food Lover's Companion defines roasting as this: "To oven-cook food in an uncovered pan, a method that usually produces a well-browned exterior and ideally a moist interior. Roasting requires reasonably tender pieces of meat or poultry. Tougher pieces of meat need moist cooking methods such as braising. "

Actually, the Food Lover's Companion defines roasting as this: "To oven-cook food in an uncovered pan, a method that usually produces a well-browned exterior and ideally a moist interior. Roasting requires reasonably tender pieces of meat or poultry. Tougher pieces of meat need moist cooking methods such as braising. "

If you read my futle attempts above, you'll see that I had difficulty defining the difference between baking and roasting. Where do you draw the line?

If you read my futle attempts above, you'll see that I had difficulty defining the difference between baking and roasting. Where do you draw the line?

I think they're basically the same thing. Though I probably identify "roasting" as using higher heat.

I dont think that roasting is primarily associated with meat. Barbara Kafka doesn't either:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom