What is your best meatloaf?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's another favorite I got from Old Blue, a member of this forum back in 2008. I don't get to make is as SO is not a fan. I have modified it to increase the amount of bacon.

BACON CHEESEBURGER MEATLOAF

1 Ea Onion, small
1 Ea Celery Stalk
¼ C Green Bell Pepper
¼ C Red Bell Pepper
1-2 Cl Garlic
3-4 Ea Scallions
2 Tb Parsley
2 Lb Ground Beef
½ C Italian Style Bread Crumbs
2 Lg Eggs
½ Tb Salt
½ Tb Black Pepper
2 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 Lb Bacon, cooked and crumbled

Process the veggies in a food processor to a near puree.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the vegetables with the beef, bread crumbs, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix well.

Line a 10”x15” jelly roll pan with wax or parchment paper and press the meat into the pan to cover the entire pan bottom in an even layer.

Spread the cheese and bacon evenly over the meat, leaving a 1” border along the long edges of the pan.

Roll the meat in a jellyroll fashion to enclose the filling and form a 10” long pinwheel loaf. Seal the roll by pressing the seam together with your fingers. Press the meat together at the ends to close them and seal in the cheese. Discard the paper.

Position the roll in the jelly roll pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until done (internal temperature 145°F-150°F).

Remove the meatloaf to a cutting board and cover loosely with foil. Allow the loaf to rest for at least 20 minutes. If sliced right away, the cheese will run out of the slices.

I really like the sound of this recipe.

I particularly like the idea of 'lightly' pureeing all the veggies together first ,and then adding that mixture in with the meat etc.

I believe it would produce a uniquely tastier meat loaf.
And I might substitute gruyere cheese for the cheddar, or use some of both.
I'll certainly give it a try, Andy.

My favorite is the “fancy meatloaf “ on The NY Times website. It calls for pancetta and does not use any ketchup. Very good.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012686-fancy-meatloaf?smid=ck-recipe-iOS-share
When I read the recipe with bacon in it, it reminded me of a delicious Italian meatloaf I made with pancetta - no ketchup, but a couple tb of tomato paste. I'll see if I can find it, if it's in one of those books of mine!

That link to NYT doesn't work unless I subscribe, so I can't see if that's sounds familiar.

Last edited:
My best meatloaf is a Danish one. Here's the link to the recipe: Danish Meatloaf

I hardly ever make it anymore. Stirling likes it enough that he learned to make it and it's usually him who makes it. :chef:

I seems very tasty this recipe and quicky to make.
Usualy I buy meatloaf ready beause I imagined too many steps of to make it.
I definitly will try to do it.:chef:

Thank you very much.

I usually make my meatloaf with some Applesauce and Sage. I'll have to look it up as I haven't made it in quite some time.

Bumped your recipe Taxy. Sounds great!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom