"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Here's another favorite I got from Old Blue, a member of this forum back in 2008. I don't get to make is as SO is not a fan. I have modified it to increase the amount of bacon.

BACON CHEESEBURGER MEATLOAF

1 Ea Onion, small
1 Ea Celery Stalk
C Green Bell Pepper
C Red Bell Pepper
1-2 Cl Garlic
3-4 Ea Scallions
2 Tb Parsley
2 Lb Ground Beef
C Italian Style Bread Crumbs
2 Lg Eggs
Tb Salt
Tb Black Pepper
2 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 Lb Bacon, cooked and crumbled

Process the veggies in a food processor to a near puree.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the vegetables with the beef, bread crumbs, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix well.

Line a 10x15 jelly roll pan with wax or parchment paper and press the meat into the pan to cover the entire pan bottom in an even layer.

Spread the cheese and bacon evenly over the meat, leaving a 1 border along the long edges of the pan.

Roll the meat in a jellyroll fashion to enclose the filling and form a 10 long pinwheel loaf. Seal the roll by pressing the seam together with your fingers. Press the meat together at the ends to close them and seal in the cheese. Discard the paper.

Position the roll in the jelly roll pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until done (internal temperature 145F-150F).

Remove the meatloaf to a cutting board and cover loosely with foil. Allow the loaf to rest for at least 20 minutes. If sliced right away, the cheese will run out of the slices.
I really like the sound of this recipe.

I particularly like the idea of 'lightly' pureeing all the veggies together first ,and then adding that mixture in with the meat etc.

I believe it would produce a uniquely tastier meat loaf.
And I might substitute gruyere cheese for the cheddar, or use some of both.
I'll certainly give it a try, Andy.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
My favorite is the “fancy meatloaf “ on The NY Times website. It calls for pancetta and does not use any ketchup. Very good.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...cipe-iOS-share
When I read the recipe with bacon in it, it reminded me of a delicious Italian meatloaf I made with pancetta - no ketchup, but a couple tb of tomato paste. I'll see if I can find it, if it's in one of those books of mine!

That link to NYT doesn't work unless I subscribe, so I can't see if that's sounds familiar.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:56 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My best meatloaf is a Danish one. Here's the link to the recipe: Danish Meatloaf

I hardly ever make it anymore. Stirling likes it enough that he learned to make it and it's usually him who makes it.
I seems very tasty this recipe and quicky to make.
Usualy I buy meatloaf ready beause I imagined too many steps of to make it.
I definitly will try to do it.

Thank you very much.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:25 AM   #24
Executive Chef

I usually make my meatloaf with some Applesauce and Sage. I'll have to look it up as I haven't made it in quite some time.

Bumped your recipe Taxy. Sounds great!

Tags
basil, crakcers, egg, ground beed, ground lamb, meat, meatloaf, miilk, onion, recipe, rosemary

What is your best meatloaf? I've made many different meatloaf recipes over the years, from my Mom's traditional meatloaf, to a version I call the Mexican Volcano, to Mount Vesuvius, all of which I've posted on DC at one time or another. So now, I offer gthis one, which adds the slightly gamey flavor of lamb. It is just another meatlloaf recipe, and a good one, to add to your arsenal:yum:. If you afre a hunter, you could sub out the lamb, and use venison, or elk in its place. [B]Ingredients:[/B] 1 lb. 80/20 good ground beef 1 lb. Ground lamb 1 extra large egg 1 yellow onion, peeled and minced 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced 2 slices mu;ti-grain bead, made into crumbs 8 Ritz style crackers 1/2 cup milk 1 tsp crushed rosemary 1/2 tsp. ground marjoram 1 tsp. dried basil 1/4 cup honey mustard, or your favorite BBQ sauce Pre-heat oven to 250; F. In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, except for the sauce. Placein a loaf pan that has been greased with bacon grease. Cover the loaf pan with heavy duty foil, shiny side down. Bake for 45o' f. oven for45 minutes. Remove, and top with sauce. serve with riced potatoes, and a sauce made from the meatloaf drippings, and your favorite veggie. This recipe also make good meatballs to be served over a rice pilaf. Ok. Your turn. Give us your best meatloaf recipe. Anybody ever make a cheese filled meatloaf, with little chunks of cheese? Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews