What is your favorite beef steak cut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
filet. I like some ribeyes, where that "flavor kernel" or ring of fat is way on the outside of the steak so i can cut it off. I hate cutting around fat, makes me sick.

Mylegsbig said:
filet. I like some ribeyes, where that "flavor kernel" or ring of fat is way on the outside of the steak so i can cut it off. I hate cutting around fat, makes me sick.

Pork fat rules.....beef fat sucks.

what about Kobe beef, has anyone tried this?

I hear that the cows are fed beer, played music and massaged before being slaughtered.

This apparently gives the nicest tasting steaks. The fat is marbled throughout and melts during cooking.

Hi, Shakin, welcome to Discuss Cooking.

You know about good beef! Kobe is considered the best in the world. But that is a particular type of steer raised under specific circumstances.

From the Kobe beef, you can get different cuts such as filet mignon, sirloin strip, ribeye, etc. It's these different cuts we're discussing in this thread.

Which do you prefer?

Last edited:
I had a positively POETIC Kobe beef filet mignon in a local restaurant a couple of years ago. It was served on a bed of Wasabi mashed potatoes.

Filet Migon has never been one of my favorite cuts of meat, mainly because while it's always tender, I find the flavor lacking - sometimes nonexistent.
However, this Kobe filet was not only tender enough to literally be cut with a fork, but had a wonderful beef flavor as well.

I don't think I'd buy it to cook myself because of the price & because I'm afraid I'd ruin it. Beef cookery isn't one of my best. But I'd order it again in a good restaurant in a heartbeat. :)

If it's a steak cooked right (salt and pepper only please, cooked medium) I'll eat it.....I tend to prefer NY strip but at this point, since I FINALLY know how to cook a steak right (thanks to YOU ALL), I'm game to try 'em all!

I like a GOOD NY Strip, and then a good rib eye (bone in). For those not aware, the strip is the tougher, but tastier side of a porterhouse, and a quality strip steak has IMO the best beef flavor of any of the "grilling" steaks. Of course... 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" thick, medium rare.

Like some others have posted, for me the tenderloin (filet) has a less pleasing texture and far less flavor than the other quality cuts. Although when I was in Italy I had a filet with a balsamic vinegar creme sauce that was heavenly, and I am going to try and duplcate the sauce one of these days. I got the list of ingredients from the chef, but not the proportions or the exact process, so that should be a test for my cooking skills.... or lack thereof...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I never see tri-tip in the stores here on the East Coast. I've heard so many positive comments about it, I'm eager to give it a try.

peppe2 said:
Is flank and skirt steak the same thing?

Similar but not the same. They come from the same general area, but flank is a leaner cut. If marinated, not overcooked, and sliced on the diagonal, though, flank is delicious and very flavorful, IMO. Some prefer skirt steak (often the choice for fajitas) because it has more marbling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom