What to do with leftover steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
If you're planning on grilling steak this weekend, here's a great way to use leftovers: Put it on top of a salad instead of trying to reheat it and risking overcooking: Scrapcook: Transform Leftover Steak With a Ponzu-Mustard Vinaigrette

20160621-beef-cucumber-ponzu-salad-8.jpg

I usually save it for steak and eggs or a steak sandwich. However, that salad looks pretty darned good for next time.

Oh ymmm...does that ever look good!

My latest trick with leftover rare paper thin sliced tri tip, was to tuck it into a hollowed out baked potato shell stuffed with melted cheese and chives. The melted cheese was just enough to warm the steak slices. Ohhhhhhh swoon!!

That does look good, GG.

Unlike some others here, I almost always have leftover steak - there's no way I can eat a whole rib eye by myself what with the salad and fixin's, so it's usually a steak sandwich the next day. Sometimes I slice them thinly and top a green salad with them, or as mentioned, steak and eggs.

Last edited:
That does look good, GG.

Unlike some others here, I almost always have leftover steak - there's no way I can eat a whole rib eye by myself what with the salad and fixin's, so it's usually a steak sandwich the next day. Sometimes I slice them thinly and top a green salad with them, or as mentioned, steak and eggs.

Unfortunately for folks that live alone, it is almost impossible to find small quality steaks. So I will remove the strip from the side and freeze it separately. Just enough for one meal. But that still leaves a bigger piece along with the bone. So I trim off just a piece of that from the bone, and freeze that separately also. Then I freeze what is left and end up with three meals. Should I not eat all of what I made for one meal, I make a small pot of beef stew with it. One carrot, a small piece of celery and a small potato. I also save any gravy I made when cooking any of the pieces. That too goes into the stew. :angel:

Those of us out west who have access to the famous tri tip cut often have leftover steak. I've solved part of that problem"?" by cutting off the smaller triangle end, and doing it with two separate cooks on the grill. Since we prefer rare beef, it also helps with not over cooking the small end.

Yep Kay, I've been doing that with tri tip as well - except it's in 3 separate cuts for just me, unless I'm having guests. Works perfectly! :chef::)
Cutting off that thinner triangle end and grilling it separately sure does help, as you say - for those of us that like rare to maybe med rare at most, that little end piece always gets overcooked if the tri tip is left whole.

Last edited:
Yep Kay, I've been doing that with tri tip as well - except it's in 3 separate cuts for just me, unless I'm having guests. Works perfectly! :chef::)
Cutting off that thinner triangle end and grilling it separately sure does help, as you say - for those of us that like rare to maybe med rare at most, that little end piece always gets overcooked if the tri tip is left whole.

Not to mention Cheryl, that little triangle end cut on the whole tri tip makes for a delectable nugget of meat for long and slow pulled beef with salsa in a crock pot or Nesco roaster. :yum:

I can't find my picture,
but
IF there's leftover steak in our house
next morning it's Steak Eggs Benedict, but
rather than Hollandaise, I make Béarnaise Sauce,
and a dash of smoked paprika on top
also
rather than an English Muffin
I use split Buttermilk Biscuits...
I make this dish just on a rare occasion for my Mother and I ...
DH's plate is just minus the sauce,
"It's too creamy, I don't like creamy, eeeewwww, that smells gross, how can you guys eat that ..."
[please insert whiny 10 year little boys voice here for the proper effect ... :LOL:]

Those of us out west who have access to the famous tri tip cut often have leftover steak. I've solved part of that problem"?" by cutting off the smaller triangle end, and doing it with two separate cooks on the grill. Since we prefer rare beef, it also helps with not over cooking the small end.

K, isn't that what they call Beef Tips as well as a dish called Burnt Ends?
I bought Tri Tip at Costco in Hawaii all the time, but now that we eat less red meat, I've been buying their Flank Steaks, don't ask me why, but DH likes it better now.

Last edited:
Here's a dish I mentioned before. My mother used to make it with leftover steak or roast beef. We called it ragu, although it isn't really ragu as in the popular european style because it has no tomato in it at all...
JrhZ98o.jpg

Last edited:
K, isn't that what they call Beef Tips as well as a dish called Burnt Ends?
I bought Tri Tip at Costco in Hawaii all the time, but now that we eat less red meat, I've been buying their Flank Steaks, don't ask me why, but DH likes it better now.

"Burnt Ends" come from the "point" of a smoked brisket. If I'm not mistaken, the most common cut used for "Beef Tips" is from the sirloin.

Back
Top Bottom