Wine-Braised Chuck Roast w/onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
I have been asked to post this recipe which appeared in the January issue of Gourmet Magazine. It will serve 6 without leftovers, 4 with leftovers. I made it for dinner last night and it was wonderful, however, I used a roast 1-1/2 pounds and just cut down the other ingredients.

Wine-Braised Chuck Roast with Onions

4 lb bonless beef chuck roast
2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp fresh black pepper
2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 lbs onions (4-6 medium) halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
2 lg garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Tbs tomatoe paste
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 dried, crumbled
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/4 dried, crumbled
1-1/2 cups dry white wine
1 cup water
Accompanyment: 1/2 al dente wide egg noodles, chopped parsley garnish

put oven rack in middle of oven and preheat to 325.

Pat beef dry and rub with 1-1/2tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Heat oil in an ovenproof 5-quart wide heavy pot over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, and brown beef on all sides, about 15 minutes. Transfer beef to a platter.

Add onions to pot and saute over moderate heat, stirring frequently until pale golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoe paste, thyme, rosemary, and remaining 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add wine and water and bring to a boil. Return beef to pot, then cover tightly and braise in the oven, turning once after one hour, until beef is very tender, about 2-1/2 to 3 hours total. Let beef stand, uncoveredd in the onion sauce about 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with the sauce and noodles

The only thing I would add to the directions on this would be to scrape all the goodies from the bottom of the pan when you add the wine and water!

I can smell and taste this recipe right now, norgeskog! YUM!

Audeo said:
The only thing I would add to the directions on this would be to scrape all the goodies from the bottom of the pan when you add the wine and water!

I can smell and taste this recipe right now, norgeskog! YUM!

Did that, but guess I missed that line when I copied it from Gourmet Magazine. HOpe you like it.

Back
Top Bottom