2nd Class Cuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowbawl

Assistant Cook
Would anyone know where i can get a list of 2nd class cuts from a pig, except the loin or the fillet, and ways of cooking the 2nd class cuts etc,etc...

Thanks.

Good morning Snowball

Maybe a google search would come closer to giving you the different cuts of pork...there are many...including ears (sandwich) and feet(pickled) everything is used on a pig...except the squeal! Ha! Find some cuts you are interested in and check back here! You will find many recipes/advice etc.

POrk butt/shoulder makes a wonderful BBQ pulled pork. Or a braised dish like a pork "pot roast".
Boned and butterflied sirloin roast, marinated in an herb or teriyaki marinade makes a terrific grilled meat.
I don't believe I have ever heard the term "2nd class cuts". I guess you are using it to refer to "less than optimally tender", but truth be told, with the leanness of pork these days, these cuts are FAR more flavorful and tender when prepared correctly.

Snowball,
I have been a Professional Chef for nearly 30 years and I have never heard cuts of any meat called 2nd class cuts. If you define that term I canhelp you out or you can get a copy of the Meat Buyers Guide put out by the North American Meat Processors Association (NAMP).
Mark

Like others, I'm unfamiliar with "2nd class cuts." Could you mean subprimal or maybe offal? Take a look here and here and here and let us know what you mean. I would love to see a good discussion that included foot, not necessarily pickled, jowls, ears, organ meats etc.

Until sn0wball returns and clarifies for us, we might want to take into consideration that this person is from a different country, so "second class" cuts might very well be something we are familiar with, just not by that name.

Maybe some of a friends in Europe or Asia are familiar with this term.

AllenOK said:
Until sn0wball returns and clarifies for us, we might want to take into consideration that this person is from a different country, so "second class" cuts might very well be something we are familiar with, just not by that name.

Maybe some of a friends in Europe or Asia are familiar with this term.
Allen, I wondered about that and you may well be right, but after reading all of sn0wball's posts I saw no evidence to confirm the suspicion. A couple years ago I had an online discussion about veal with a guy from Switzerland, trained in France, who had been working as a chef in Southeast Asia for many years. Further complicating the conversation was the lack of any fluent common language between us. Like Mark Webster, he suggested I get the Meat Buyers Guide put out by the North American Meat Processors Association (NAMP), but I wasn't willing to shell out 50 bucks. If the conversation develops, when confusion arises about feet, hocks, and trotters, for instance, we could resolve it by referring to No. 13 on this chart.
There might be better charts out there and there might be online files of The Meat Buyers Guide but I haven't found them yet.

Welcome SnOwball, am not sure what you are looking for.

But a great reference, at a cheap price, is 'Cutting Up in the Kitchen' by Merle Ellis. You can pick a used one up very cheaply on the web (think it is out of print, but am not sure). It will give you a good overview of the cuts of meat, including those from Mr. Pig.

The term 'high on the hog' usually refers to the cuts you mentioned. The rest were for the help.

But there is a lot of good eatin' there. In fact I find the Boston butt (shoulder) to be one of the tastiest parts of the piggy.

And am not a real fan of the loin, unless smoked and cured. Just my opinion.

Good luck.

Sorry for getting back so late, what i ment by 2nd class cuts is the lesser known cuts such as the belly, for example what cuts can you get from the belly, ways of cooking them etc, etc.. The reason i asked was, we have a mini pork comp coming up between the students and we were asked to come up with a dish made from the lesser known cuts, and at the same time the dish could be put on a 5* menu. This is where im really stuck as we just started the module and i dont really know that much yet.

Thanks again.

I don't think the belly would be a place to start unless you are making bacon. I have seen pork tounge in Latin markets which would qualify as lesser known meats but I would have no idea on how to prepare them. The other cuts of pork are fairly well known. Like the butt's, fresh picnics, fresh hams, hocks, loins, and tenderloin. If by "less known' you mean cheaper you might be able to do something with the country style ribs. Possibly in the way of beef short ribs that are popping up on a number of different menus. You could maybe go with a Asian style sweet/ hot type of dish.

JDP

Pork belly can be a real treat--and I have only recently found it available in my Asian market. Frank Stitt of the Highland Grill has a recipe using pork shoulder and belly in a dish that I am dying to try. There are many Asian recipes that apparently use pork belly--one I seem to recall is confit-ed and then crisped. What could be better with something SO wrong for your dietary intake!! ;o)

Pork belly...would be raw uncured "bacon" to me....Interesting idea...I have read that it is kindy "trendy" in some areas..But I have no clue as to a recipe idea....

Thanks for all the ideas, here's a list of a few that was used in the past.

Pork neck fillet
Silverside of pork
Flank of pork

I would like to come up with something different and what type of sauce's go will with pork?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom