A oup of Good Pork Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I've taken a few recipes from my other site to share with you. Hope you enjoy them with the warmer weather coming:chef:.

You Can Be A Great Cook With…

G.W.’s GoodGrub, Lesson 82 – Special dietary Restriction Recipes That Taste Great – Smoky, Succulent Spare Ribs
Posted on May 7, 2021

Best Ribs in my home town

Summer is just around the corner. With the warmer weather, it’s the perfect time to break out out the grill. A perennial favorite is, wait for it Tori, smoky spare ribs. Though the baby-back ribs are all the rage these days, meaty spare ribs are less expensive, and have more meat on them. When treated properly, in my humble opinion, they beat baby-back ribs for flavor and texture any day of the week.

As every barbecue pit master will tell you, phenomenal ribs take a day’s worth of loving care in a smoker that will cost you a month’s salary, with three hundred pounds of hardwood fuel, right. Wrong. I’m giving you a recipe that will produce fall-off-the-bone tender, juicy, and succulent ribs that require a night in the fridge and 40 minutes in a covered kettle or gas barbecue, and a few sticks picked up from the woods, or a bag of cheap apple wood chunks that can be had at the supermarket.

Here’s how I did them two days ago, to rave reviews from guests and family alike (I was told by one guest that these were the only ribs she’d ever had that required no sauce, and by my wife that they were the best ribs she’d ever eaten). Best of all, these are easy to make, and inexpensive. Now what more can a guy ask for?

Smoky Spare Ribs

Ingredients:

2 racks pork spare ribs

3 tbs. salt

4 tbs. mild chili powder

1 cup dark brown sugar

1 tbs. granulated garlic powder

2 tbs. granulated onion powder

1 tbs. rubbed sage

Wood chunks/branches cut into 6-inch lengths, apple, maple, hickory, mesquite, cherry, or tag-alder wood.

Combine the salt, chili powder, brown sugar, garlic, onion, and sage in a bowl and blend together until evenly mixed. Lay out the ribs on a covered working surface. Using a paper towel for gripping, remove the silver-skin from the ribs. Rub both sides of the ribs with the dry rub. massaging the seasoning mixture into the meat. Place in a suitably sized plastic bag, and seal. Refrigerate overnight.

To cook, place the ribs into a large roasting pan, cover and place into a 200 degree oven for eight hours; or, place into and electric turkey roaster, set for 200 degrees, and let it hang out for eight hours or so. An hour before serving time, Put charcoal in two piles on opposite sides of the grill. Make a drip pan that is equal in size to the ribs. add 2 cups of water to the drip pan. Fire up the barbecue and let it heat up for 15 minutes. Place the wood on top of the charcoal, or wrap in heavy duty foil and put on the fire Place the ribs on the grill. Cover and reduce heat by either closing all vents by half on the charcoal grill, or at lowest setting on the gas grill. Let the ribs cook in the smoke for 45 minutes. Remove and serve with your favorite barbecue sauce.

Alternately, stat the uncooked ribs on the grill, cooking with the lid vents half closed for six hours. You will have to add charcoal every now and again. Make sure the ribs sit over the drip pan. Add water to the drip pan once every 2 hours or so, to maintain about a cup of liquid. This liquid can be used to make a great BBQ sauce.

After the six hours have passed, remove the ribs onto a large sheet of heavy aluminum foil. Place back onto the grill with the vents still half closed. Cook another two hours. Remove and plate. Serve with Cole Slaw and your favorite dialysis friendly sides, like maybe grilled, honey glazed carrots, or grilled zucchini, or yellow squash, maybe a veggie kebab of pearl onion, carrot, and squash, all dusted with Parmesan cheese, and pepper.

This meal is so good, you no one will know that it is dialysis friendly.

My Favorite Cole Slaw

I prefer juicy to creamy Cole Slaw. I want it ice cold, and refreshing. It cleanses the palate and refreshes, especially when eating rich foods like ribs.

My favorite slaw is very juicy, to the point where you could drain off liquid from the bottom. I shred a head of green cabbage, along with two large carrots, and one yellow or white onion. They must be grated to make the pieces small enough for this to work. I add Miracle Whip, 1 tbs. sugar, and stir, making sure that there is enough salad dressing to coat the mix. Add 1/2 cup ice water and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours to let the flavors combine This slaw tastes nearly identical to a famous chicken chain cole slaw, but is much easier to make. It really almost quenches the thirst with each bite, and doesn’t leave a fatry aftertaste. You can add chopped appel, raiseins, and or nuts if you so desire. But that’s just how I like it.

May your hot things be served hot, your cold things be served cold, and your Gouda be served at room temperature.

There is no success outside of the home that justifies failure within the home.

Seeeeeya Chief Longwind of the North

SHARE THIS:
Customize buttons

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a replyEdit
G.W.’s GoodGrub, Lesson 81 – Special dietary Restriction Recipes That Taste Great -Pork Roulade with Smoky Apple Stuffing
Posted on May 3, 2021
Rate This

Today, we are going to get serious, and make a meal worthy of a holyday meal. And yet, it is eeeeeasy to make There aren’t a lot of ingredients, and is accompanied by some great, ESRD friendly sides.

He star of today’s recipe is called a Roulade, wich is a french word. In Germany, it’s called Rouladen.

Jasmine, you have a question? What is it?

Here’s my definition:

Roulade/Rouladen – a chunk of meet usually round, butterflied to form a flat, uniform chunk of meat, coated with a stuffing mix, either savory, or sweet, and rerolled, tied with butcher’s twine, and roasted wit, or without a glaze. It can also be made starting with boneless, flat cuts of meat, such as round steak, brisket, pork belly, etc.

Does that answer your question? Good.

Today, we will use a three pound pork loin, and tun it into a flat piece of meat. You could, if you wanted, use a pork belly, trimmed of all but a quarter inch of the outside fat.

You may not have one of the tools that will make this recipe foolproof, a good meat thermometer. They aren’t expensive. The best kind have the thermometer base, with a magnet on the back, and a long probe that goes into yhe meat while it’s roasting. Some even have a remote alarm that you can stck in you apron pocket, that will tell you when the meat is at the correct temperature. I have one of those, It allows me to smoke a 20 pound turkey to perfection on My Weber Charcoal grill. Get bone. You won’t regret it.

Ok, on with the recipes.

Note: you will be baking corn puding at the same time that the roast is roasting, so prep both recipes before placing either onto the oven.

Required tools: sharp fillet, or slicing knife, mixing bowl, 2 sauce pans, measuring cup, heat-proof stirring spoon, aluminum foil,or parchment paper, sheet pan, meat thermometer, paper towels

Ingredients:

3 lb. Pork loin

2 tbs. Salt

2 tbs. Black pepper

3 tbs butter, softened to room temperature

Smoked paprika

Stuffing:

3 Ink Lady, or Mackintosh Apples

3 tbs. All purpose flour

½ tsp cinnamon

2 tbs salted butter

1 tbs. Honey

Preheat oven to 375’ F.

Core and peel the apples. Save the skin (its where much of the apple flavor comes from. Pace ½ cup of water into you pot over medium-high heat. Add the skins; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for ten minutes.

Dice the apples and plce in cold water with a splash of lemon juice to prevent browning.

Using a sharp knife, cut a slit the length of the roast, about a half inch deep. Turn the knife sideways to the slit, and cut a half inch layer all the way around, until the roast is like one flat piece of meat. Season by sprinkling on half of the salt and pepper.

In a clean saucepan, melt the butter for the stuffing (2 tbs,). Drain the apples and add them to the melted butter. Put in the cinnamon and sugar; Saute until the apples are tender. Stir in 2 tbs. Of flour to form a paste around the apples. Let cook for five minutes over medium-low heat.

Slowly stir in the water from the boiled apple peels to form a thick sauce, like for an apple pie filling. Let cool for ten minutes.

Line a baking sheet with foil, or parchment paper. Trust me, this will make clean up esay. Cut butcher’s twine into pieces 6 inches longer than th width of the meat, making enoufh to space the twine lengths evry 3 inches for the lngth of the roast. Spread the apple fillin onto 2/3rds of the pork. Jelly-roll it back into its original shape. Tie the twine around it to hold the shape. Rub butter all over your roast, and season with the remaining salt and pepper. Lightly sprinkle smoked paprika over the roast. Insert the thermometer probe in the middle of the roast, with the tip going to the center. Set the alarm to go off at 143 degrees F.

Place into your oven and walk away until your thermometer alarm tells you it’s done. Remove te roast, turn off the oven, and let it rest for 15 minutes.

While the roast is resting, it’s time to make the side dishes,

Corn Pudding

Unless your from the Southern U.S., you may not have ever had corn pudding. It’s not the same thing as creamed corn. It is rich, and deliciousn and can be doctored to for your tastes. Best of all,it’s super easy to make,

Tools: mixing bowl, 9 inch square oven proof casserole dish,, measuring cup, measuring spoons, stirring spoon

Ingredients:

5 large eggs (room temperature)

Rub the inside of the casserole dish liberally with butter. Combine all of the wet ingredients in your mixing bowl. Whisk in the sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg until completely incorporated. Melt the softened butter and whisk into the mixing bowl. Fold in the corn. Pour into the casserole dish. Place into you oven with the roulade. Use the bottom rack for the roast, and the top for the corn pudding.

Next side dish, Ginger/Balsamic Brussels Sprouts.

I know what you’re thinking, Roy; Brussels Sprouts! I hate Brussels Sprouts.

As a child, I hated them to. They ere often bitter, and just didn’t tasdte very good. Sometimes, they were just awfull.

I’m happy to say that this veggie is now tasty. Brussels Sprouts are miniature cabbahes after all. Selective breeding has eliminated that nast bitterness. Bst of all, this veggie is a nutritional powerhouse that is safe for that special diet. So let’s make this recipe.

Tools: frying pan, stirring spoon, measuring spoon, sharp knife (santoku, or chef’s knife works well for this)

Ingredients:

½ cup Brussels Sprouts per personal

3 tbs. Modena Balsamic vinegar

2 tbs. Butter

¼ tsp. Ground ginger

Cut the sprouts in half. Heat the butter in the frying pan over medium heat. Add the sprouts to the pan stir them around every 3o seconds or so until yhey lightly star to brown. Dd the vinegar and ginger. Stir to coat the sprouts. Cook over low heat for five more minutes. Remove from the heat and place in serving bowl.

Ok. That’s all of it. Nd you know, if you don’t want apple stuffing in your roulade, you can use pear, or peach, or a savory stuffing like a good bread dressing, you know, like what you make with a turkey. If you do want a bread stuffing (or cornbread stuffing) stay away from the boxed stuffing mixes as the contain lots of sodium, and added phosphates.

Serve this with a cold, homemade strawberry shake. Use rice milk instead of milk.

ESRD Friendly Strawberry Shake

2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled

4 cups ice cubes

½ cup heavy cream

2 cups rice milk

1 tsp. Vanilla

Stevia sweetener to taste.

Place all ingredients into your blender. Blend at highest speed until smooth. Enjoy.

May your hot things be served hot, your cold things be served cold, and your Gouda be served at room temperature.

There is no success outside of the home that justifies failure within the home.

Seeeeeya Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom