A whole bunch of slow grilled pork butt....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Toss it with BBQ sauce and make a pulled pork sandwich
Tacos
A shepherd's pie (whatever the pork version is called)
Chili

Toss it with BBQ sauce and make a pulled pork sandwich
Tacos
A shepherd's pie (whatever the pork version is called)
Chili

It turned out a little tough, can I still get pulled pork out of it?
Would I need to simmer it in some broth or something first? That does sound good....

For pork butt to be tender enough to be pulled, it has to reach an internal temperature of around 200 F (more or less). You probably didn't get it that hot on the grill.

You could simmer it in some broth and bbq sauce to tehderize it, then drain off the liquid and add some bbq sauce on a sandwich. Cutting it into smaller pieces will speed up the process and will need less liquid to simmer it in.

Andy as usual you are a culinary genious!
We kept thinking 160..... thats when we took it off.

Slice it, (3/4 to 1 inch) as best you can... add a little BBQ sauce, Lee & Perrins, etc, wrap/seal it tightly in aluminum foil. Preheat your oven to 250* or so, place the meat on a cookie sheet, in a skillet, whatever, stick it in the oven and forget about it for about 2 1/2 hours...Don't peek!!

Enjoy!

And DH makes fun of me for hanging out here talking about food all day......
Thank you much guys I will get that meat in the oven!

one last ?? would the crock pot work so I dont heat up the house?

Thanks again so much, dinner's at 5 if you're in the neighborhood!
:)

How about... cubed pork salad...

In a pan, mix up a jar of red pepper relish, 1 bottle of heinz chili sauce, bring to a simmer. Add 2 tsp creole seasoning, 1 tbls Worcestershire's sauce, 1 can diced tomatoes(or equivalent fresh diced), 2 bunches green onion, diced, some mild peppers if you have them(optional) a little Tabasco...for kick.

When that is hot, stir in your diced pork and allow to simmer for 15- 20 minutes. There should be enough pork to pretty much take over from the sauce. It shouldn't be soupy at all.. You can just use part of the sauce...

You can eat it hot or cold.. on bread, on a salad.. it doesn't matter..

The red pepper relish is like this..
Amazon.com: Sweet Spicy Red Pepper Relish: Gourmet Food

I like UB's method as well. You could also mix it up a little and use a chicken or beef stock based gravy. Top some mashed potatoes or toast with the pork and gravy.

Here's what we have come up wit as a use for Left-Over Pulled Pork from a Pork Butt

- Pork Egg Foo Yung (Very Tasty with the right Asian Brown Sauce)
- Pork Taco's
- Salad with Smoked Pork with a Jim Beam Honey Mustard Dressing
- Quesidilla's (As you mentioned)
- The Pulled Pork Sandwich (Ala Carolina Style)
- Make WICKED Good Baked Beans with the Pulled Pork (And Leftover Brisket if you're lucky)
- Serve Pulled Pork with Brown Gravy over Mashed Potatos

That's what we've come up with so far. When we smoke pork shoulder, I tend to do 4-10 pounds. Sometimes more. When that is the case, we almost always have some left over. I am very curious what other people mention as good uses for the left overs.

Great topic!

I just thought of something else I may have to make...

This sounds good...what does everyone think.....

Take the pork, slice. In a skillet heat some olive oil. Halve some Fennel, slow saute the fennel until its tender add some garlic, and place the pork slices in.

When the garlic is cooked a bit and the pork is hot, remove the fennel and pork. To the skillet, add 4 cups of stock(beef, chicken, what ever you have), 2 cups cream and bring to a boil(or 6 cups stock). Add 1 1/2 cup course grained cornmeal....Add the cornmeal SLOWLY while whisking..

Make sure the liquid never quites boiling while adding the corn. When all is added, use a spoon and stir from bottom to top until done(pulls away from the sides of the pot..probably 35 minutes or so...)

Place the pork and fennel on top of polenta mounded on a serving plate..

Well I stuck it in the CrockPot....
Note to self. Make sure said CP is PLUGGED IN when you turn it on. :mad:

It wasn't ready in time for tonight, but that's ok.... by the time it was ready we realized it wasn't quite enough for all of us anyway, so DH ran out and bought another piece of meat, I took out piece #1, added similar seasonings to the pot and threw in piece #2.... it's on low 'til morning.:chef:

So tomorrow we'll finally have pulled pork sammies, which is good, it's my son's baseball night and we need quick meals those days!

Thanks everyone I'm sure we'll screw up another sometime soon to try out another "save" idea! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom