Any sausage makers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cajun

Assistant Cook
I purchased a decent electric meat grinder (about $80). It comes with several attachments, including a "Sausage Stuffer" which looks like a long funnel.

I would really like to start making some of my own sausages (including cajun, andouille, and bratwurst).

I do not fully understand the procedure. I plan to purchase the following:
* Natural Hog Casings
* Cure
* Soy Protein

From what I understand, I will take meat (such as pork butt) and cut it into pieces. I will then put this through the grinder. Once grinded I will mix all of the spices and cures into the meat. Then I will attach the sausage attachment to the machine and attach a natural casing to the sausage attachment. Then I put the meat through the grinder again (???) and it will be forced into the casing.

Please help me. Is the process that I described correct? I do not want to buy everything needed to make sausage and then find out that I am not able to do it. I see "sausage stuffers" for sale (but they are expensive). Doesn't the meat grinder act as a sausage stuffer?

Any insight to this process would be GREATLY appreciated!

I purchased a decent electric meat grinder (about $80). It comes with several attachments, including a "Sausage Stuffer" which looks like a long funnel.

I would really like to start making some of my own sausages (including cajun, andouille, and bratwurst).

I do not fully understand the procedure. I plan to purchase the following:
* Natural Hog Casings
* Cure
* Soy Protein

From what I understand, I will take meat (such as pork butt) and cut it into pieces. I will then put this through the grinder. Once grinded I will mix all of the spices and cures into the meat. Then I will attach the sausage attachment to the machine and attach a natural casing to the sausage attachment. Then I put the meat through the grinder again (???) and it will be forced into the casing.

Yes..... Some or most grinders come with a "stuffing plate" Sometimes called a "Kidney Plate" or even a “Bean Plate. Its function is to stabilize the worm gear or auger so you aren't actually grinding the meat again, but you are using the machine to push the meat into the casing. Grind your meat the fist time, and then add your seasoning. Mix Well by hand. When you grind the meat the second time, this will help to evenly distribute the seasoning into the meat too. Read and follow your instruction manual. Hope this helps!!!

Please help me. Is the process that I described correct? I do not want to buy everything needed to make sausage and then find out that I am not able to do it. I see "sausage stuffers" for sale (but they are expensive). Doesn't the meat grinder act as a sausage stuffer?

Any insight to this process would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you. That is helpful. The manual with the grinder is extremely vague. It is not very informative. I think that is why I am not very confident.

Also....are natural casings the best? Are binders (soy protein) necessary? Also, how do I tie off or end each sausage?

I plan to start making sausages....I'm just trying to think of any obstacles that may surface.

You are able to do it just fine, though it helps to have a second set of hands to "catch" the stuffed casings while you are stuffing them.

As Uncle Bob said, when you put the ground, seasoned meat through the machine a second time, you will not be grinding it again. You will be removing the plates, and putting the stuffing attachment on.

The auger will only be pushing the ground meat towards, and into, the casing.

I highly recommend this book for learning how to make great sausage: #71200 Great Sausage<br>Recipes and Meat Curing<br>by Rytek Kutas - 71200

It is really fun and everyone thinks you are a genius! Make and freeze some patties, too, for a much easier sausage!

Lee

Cajun said:
Also....are natural casings the best? Are binders (soy protein) necessary? Also, how do I tie off or end each sausage?

I like the natural hank (casings) the best..I don't care for fillers/binders. Leave about 2 inches of casing on the end to hand tie/twist.

I make my own sausage but I do not use casings, nor add soy protein. I mix my own seasonings from items I have in my cupboards. I freeze it bulk and make into patties later.

I make my own sausage but I do not use casings, nor add soy protein. I mix my own seasonings from items I have in my cupboards. I freeze it bulk and make into patties later.

Me too Miss Beth....I don't have the patience, or something for stuffing anymore. I do buy a couple of seasonings that I "jazz" up in addition to the homemade.

Did you get the grinder from Harbor Freight? If so the instructions are no help, I made my first batch with one last weekend so here's some info. If it's the HF one it doesn't come with a stuffing plate. I ground & stuffed in the same operation, my mistake was not cutting the pork shoulder small enough to evenly mix the meat & fat. I went with 1&1/2 inch cubes. Next time I'll cut the fat off & cut it into 1/2 inch cubes, cut the meat into 1 inch cubes & mix together very well. I put the spices in 1 cup of very cold water to try to evenly mix them into the meat. They say to keep the mixture as cold as possible. I used natural casings, you have to soak them in water overnight. Open an end & feed them onto the tube thingy, start grinding & when the meat starts to come out pull some of the casing back over the meat, tie a not & turn the grinder back on. I had a problem with air getting in the casings & think the smaller cubes will help with it. There's some good sites out there for info & recipes, here's some links, the first one belongs to a member.
I hope this helps, some of the above may make more sense once you get started.

BBQ Butcher - Home
The Seasoned Meat Forums • Index page
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom