Applejuice and Pork Chops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherri83

Assistant Cook
:chef:A friend of mine was telling me about marinading pork chops in applejuice. He had only heard of it being done, but he never tried it. Does anyone have a good recipe that involves these two ingredients? And how would you cook it?I would like to try it this weekend...it sounds interesting together.

Miss Sherri...Hows about brining the pork chops...Making Cocktails from the Apple juice (Vodka, Rum, Southern Comfort) Then late Saturday afternoon grillin the pork chops along with some new crop Florida Sweet Corn..maybe some slaw on the side?...I'll bring the "spirits" :)

Yep, I've done that occasionally. I use a marinade of apple juice, onion, garlic, worchestershire, salt and sliced jalapeños. Then broil them on the grill, glazing with jalapeño apple jelly. Just omit the jalapeños and use regular apple jelly if you're not into spicy food.

Also, seems like I read a recipe once that used molasses and bourbon with the apple juice in the marinade. Might want to google for that one.

thanks

Thanks for the help! I bought eight thin boneless chops...mainly to experiment with them. Uncle Bob, great sides to go with it.:) SRL, how long do you let them marinade for? I would love to try this marinade....

Last edited:
Marinate overnight, if possible or even longer. It's difficult to marinate meat too long ... well, unless you have papaya in the marinade. :)

Miss Sherri.... In general I’m not big a fan of marinating meats. Used as a “tenderizer” (IMO) it’s mostly a waste of time and resources. Marinating is primarily a “contact sport” --- it only affects the tissues that it comes into contact with --- i.e. the surfaces of the meat. On most cuts of meat the outside surface may be tenderized somewhat, while the interior of the meat will remain unaffected. Left on too long the acids, (citrus juices, vinegar, beer, wine whiskey, etc) and enzymes (papaya/pineapple) in marinades can dry out the meat. In the case of beef, some game, and pork several hours or over night in the refrigerator is generally Ok. In less dense meats, (chicken, fish, shell fish etc.) the time frame is much, much shorter. A better and more practical use of marinades is to change, modify, alter, enhance, cover-up etc. the flavor of the food. Marinating an old, gamey piece of Venison to mask/cover-up the gaminess would be an example. Or in this case, marinating pork chops in apple juice to add a little apple flavor component to them. To your question of how long....My answer would be several hours under refrigeration (less then 40* F.) Your thin cut pork chops will be very tender, if not over cooked, without a marinade...With it; a layer of flavor may be added. A glaze of apple jelly etc. applied at the last minute would be yummy too!! HTH

Have Fun!

Marinate them with apple juice (and salt and pepper, garlic, etc., whatever you like) then grill with some onions. After you take everything out of the pan, make a pan gravy using (new) apple juice.

Thanks for the advice guys! I will hopefully be able to try it this weekend. Hey Lyns, I'm not familiar with making gravy..do you have a recipe that I could try with this dish?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom